Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page chrome
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.23.2008, 02:13 PM   #1
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i don't see them get mentioned a lot on this board. i'm listening to them now (after about a year of not) and after all this time they still blow me away. i'm sure there are other people on this board like them as well. hopefully.

in other news, i started listening to the fall again after not listening to them for about the same time. i'm djing my friend's birthday party in july and i'm already started picking songs and totally wired is def. going on my set list.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
dj rick just played them in his last show, if i'm not mistaken.

yeah, fucking awesome band.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 03:37 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
ace band in every way.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 04:33 PM   #4
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
There's been some recent reissues of crucial Chrome albums, hence the AFS airplay last week of "Pygmies in zee Dark" and "Zero Time."

I picked up copies of "Alien Soundtracks," "Half Machine Lip Moves," and "3rd from the Sun" in this series. Not sure if there's similar reissues of the debut album from 1976, "The Visitation," or the fifth album (and last really good one) called "Red Exposure." But these three (and especially the "AS" and "HMLM" are the best of the lot. WAY AHEAD OF THEIR TIME!

The reissues seem to be bootlegs. Covers are just a one-panel of cardstock with a somewhat degraded copy of the original cover image. The back of the panel is blank. But the inner label on the vinyl looks pretty pro and still says Siren Records, the band's own original label from back in the day.

They were probably from Europe because they cost me $21 each. They came with Chrome stickers and lapel pins.

If you must start with any one album of Chrome, I recommend "Half Machine Lip Moves." It was reissued about 18 years ago on CD by Touch & Go along with "Alien Soundtracks" on one disc. This was no doubt inspired by the Jesus Lizard's 7" EP with Chrome covers on it which T&G had put out just a little bit before that.

This band was so diversely influenced, and they're still a pretty primary influence on a lot of the most exciting new shit today.

Official website...
http://www.staticwhitesound.com/chrome/history.htm

http://www.myspace.com/chrome2012

Don't buy any Chrome recorded after "Red Exposure." Guitar-god Helios Creed had left by then, and those records suck pretty bad.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 05:38 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
alien soundtracks is my faovirte by them, and helios is one of the bigest influences on my guitar playing. they could arguably be considred the first "noise rock" band, as they took a lot of the early noise sounds and mixed them with the classic psych rock stuff. itd be really hard to imagine bands like butthole surfers if chrome hadnt come out of nowhere. i havnt been listening to them very often though, better start up again.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth