Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Funhouse.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.05.2006, 11:45 AM   #1
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
About two years ago SY got me into the Stooges when I heard the bubbling cauldron that is "Freezerburn/I Wanna Be Yr Dog". Since then I have purchased most of their minute collection of records. Funhouse and The Stooges on double CD deluxe edition and Raw Power and Open Up and Bleed on vinyl. To say the least I love every one of those records and just wanted to know what people's favorites are and dislikes. Come on down to the funhouse......

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 11:52 AM   #2
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
fun house is one of the best things i have ever heard! i bought after hearing jack white call it "the greatest rock n roll album ever
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 12:01 PM   #3
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody
fun house is one of the best things i have ever heard! i bought after hearing jack white call it "the greatest rock n roll album ever

Yea I read that too. Jack's story of finding the Stooges first LP in a garbage can is hilarious.

Old 08.05.2006, 12:06 PM   #4
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, dumpster diving rules
Old 08.05.2006, 12:21 PM   #5
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
dumpster diving has gotten me some cool shit.

the stooges in general are great, but i like raw power better than funhouse.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:09 PM   #6
finding nobody
invito al cielo

i found a playstation once while dumpster diving

The Beatles- White Album
Sonic Youth- Daydream nation
The Stooges- Fun House

quite possibly my top 3 albums of all time
Old 08.05.2006, 01:11 PM   #7
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i found one of those apple computers from 1977. i made a robot out of it.
Old 08.05.2006, 01:12 PM   #8
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I remember my first computer. With 4 MB of memory. It would have to be a very forgetful robot.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 01:13 PM   #9
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

he's a very cute robot, which makes up for it.
Old 08.05.2006, 02:49 PM   #10
lovesonicevol
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody
i found a playstation once while dumpster diving

The Beatles- White Album
Sonic Youth- Daydream nation
The Stooges- Fun House

quite possibly my top 3 albums of all time

Ha! Thought you found all of those dumpster diving. I was like damn! maybe I should go downtown...

Old 08.05.2006, 02:53 PM   #11
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Fun House was my first Stooges album...I think I prefer it above the others, but between Raw Power it's pretty close. This was around the time when I was also loving the New York Dolls, long before my Sonic Youth days. I don't have the deluxe editions of either one though. Down on the Street is my favorite Stooges song.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 03:01 PM   #12
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm wearing my Fun House shirt right now. It's a fucking great album, but Raw Power and the self titled make my brain even more happy.
Old 08.05.2006, 03:33 PM   #13
foldback
bad moon rising

foldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to all
I'm pretty sure I bought Fun House first. And as a result, "T.V. Eye" is probably still my favorite Stooges song.

And I think the reason I got it was because of seeing the Black Crowes cover "Down in the Street" in 2001. I had no idea what that song was, so that got the ball rolling for me.
foldback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 03:40 PM   #14
Groove(Y)
empty page

Groove(Y) ain't too shabby
hmmm...i'd say my favorite is the self titled...very close though, but 1969 is most definitley the best stooges song in my opinion...
Groove(Y) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2006, 01:14 AM   #15
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
I think Funhouse is the greatest album ever made. Probably the album i've listened to most in my entire life. I bought it the same day I bought Raw Power and initially I liked Raw Power a lot more. Funhouse grew over a period of a few months of me thinking it was pretty good to THE BEST ALBUM EVER.

I think I like FUnhouse more cause it's the most timeless. S/T is very 60's garage and Raw Power sounds a lot like a 70's rock album but you can really pin down Funhouse to an era or sound.
Old 08.06.2006, 01:16 AM   #16
finding nobody
invito al cielo

i love the production on 'raw power'. but fun house hits me harder
Old 08.06.2006, 01:24 AM   #17
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The Stooges were staying at the Hyatt where Elektra was putting them up during the recording of Funhouse. They would routinely party at the hotel bar with Robert Mitchum. Some might remember that Mitchum was arrested for marijuana in 1949 which caused quite the stir at the time.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2006, 01:29 AM   #18
finding nobody
invito al cielo

interesting atari.
i know in the liner notes to fun house Iggy said he was dropping acid everyday while recording fun house
Old 08.06.2006, 07:07 AM   #19
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

i hope they didn't spend too much time recording, then. that shit completely fries you if you do it too often.
Old 08.06.2006, 05:19 PM   #20
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
funhouse is probably my favorite album ever. as mike watt sez "it sounds like it was recorded tomorrow".

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth