Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Origins of Crowd Surfing?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.15.2006, 12:44 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Does anybody know the year, the band, the genre or anything about the origins of crowd surfing. I was thinking about this the other day, and I realized I have no fucking idea where it came from.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 12:46 PM   #2
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
why do people crowd surf?

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 12:49 PM   #3
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
they say Iggy pop was thre one who invented it while he was with the Stooges

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 01:24 PM   #4
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
probably true
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I heard it was a Motorhead thing. I've heard more often that it came from biker/ metaller crowds than from The Stooges. What with bikers being completely mental and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I have seen no crowd surfing at any Motorhead show I have been to. Perhaps it was different in The Ye Olde Olden Dayes.
I do see girls flash their chests without fail at each and every Motorhead performance though. In my mind, this is better than crowd surfing.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 01:53 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I have seen no crowd surfing at any Motorhead show I have been to. Perhaps it was different in The Ye Olde Olden Dayes.
I do see girls flash their chests without fail at each and every Motorhead performance though. In my mind, this is better than crowd surfing.

Really? How strange. I only saw them the once, it was crowd-surf central. You know, nearly every American band that comes over here says 'British crowds are the best'. Always one treats that with a modicum of doubt, but I do wonder if perhaps American crowds are a bit more reserved.

Kenny Rogers, who I saw a couple of weeks ago, said British crowds are the best. You can't not trust Uncle Kenny.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 11.15.2006, 01:57 PM   #8
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Midwestern American crowds are probably the most reserved of them all.
Crossed arms and head-nodding are the equivalent of wild shouting and human dogpiling.

I have seen human dogpiles and fist-pumping at Wolf Eyes shows, but only early on. It's extremely rare.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 02:01 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Midwestern American crowds are probably the most reserved of them all.
Crossed arms and head-nodding are the equivalent of wild shouting and human dogpiling.

I have seen human dogpiles and fist-pumping at Wolf Eyes shows, but only early on. It's extremely rare.

The craziest shows I've ever seen are hardcore shows in small towns and villages. I saw Cat on Form* twice on one tour, once in a largish city and the second time in a village hall type affair. The city show was ok, quite a boisterous crowd. The village show was fucking insane.

*This might not actually be who I saw. I never remember the name of hardcore bands on account of the music being pretty much identical, so far as I can make out. I always enjoy the shows though.

Quote:
Old 11.15.2006, 04:46 PM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Actually, I imagine crowd-surfing was invented by the chaps going to Hajj, now I come to think of it. Or perhaps by the Indian train system.

Quote:
Old 11.15.2006, 11:45 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

i was watching a lame as commercial the other day, with some dude crowd surfing on a crowd of doctors and nurses. it made me think, what started crowd surfing to begin with? It has become an American Rock Music Standard. I was mostly curious of the time period and musical style that it started in, as well as if it started with musicians jumping into the crowd, or as it usually is, with people from the crowd surfing on the crowd.

anyways, it seems no body could help, so this a lengthy bump.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2006, 12:46 AM   #12
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
jean claude van-dam of course

cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2006, 12:46 AM   #13
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's a 'rock music standard' in most of western civilisation.

I don't like crowd surfing or the likes. I respect bands that tell crowd surfers and rough people to fuck off*. Makes me smile.

*Fugazi, At the Drive-In etc.
Old 11.16.2006, 04:35 AM   #14
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I think crowd surfing started to save people fainted/fell/injured in the middle of the mosh pit. I mean, they crowd-surfed people towards security/ambulances, then someone thought it might be an entertaining thing to do while healty and that's it.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2006, 04:42 AM   #15
The Usher
stalker

The Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's asses
I went crowd surfing at an Alice In Chains gig about 10 years ago and it was the scariest thing that ever happened to me.
The crowd was fuckin' mental, the whole audience was just moving around the room in one big circlar motion, my free hardly touched the floor during the whole gig as we were packed in so tight.
Anyway, I decided to try a bit of surfing, which went quite well at first, until I reach the front of the stage. I somehow got my finger stuck in a hole in the mess of the metal barrier and almost ripped my finger off! Ah, good time!

The Usher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth