Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Top 5 Books You Leave Casually Scattered Around Yr House To Show Off
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.28.2008, 08:09 PM   #1
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Or just post a list of yr top 5 books -

1. R.D. Laing - The Divided Self
Radical schizophrenia politics - a compassionate and bleak intellectualisation of some of humanities worst anxieties.

2. Albert Camus - The Fall
A massive blasphemous drunken rant that you actually wanna hear.

3. Baudrilliard - The System of Objects
Will show you the real reason you had yr dog neutered and why yr record collection means so much to you.

4. Phillip K Dick - Martian Time Slip
I prefer this to Flow my tears and Do Androids - I wanna make a film adaption of this with Jack Nicholson as Arnie Knott.

5. James Joyce - Finnegan's Wake
I swear to fuck - this book contains irish slang that's only emerged in the past couple of years. The only book earth ever needs on Ireland and what a bunch of selfish drunken sex maniacs we all are.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 08:13 PM   #2
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Right now there are three books here that are not with the other books. They are Kierkegaard's The Concept of Anxiety (on the top shelf of some shelving), Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records of the Sixties (on bed), and Picasso's Picassos (laid out on a table). Happenings (a brief documentation of Happenings) by Michael Kirby was on the shelf too until the other day, but I loaned it out.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 08:15 PM   #3
ruinedbyharps
little trouble girl

ruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's asses
the divided self is great.

i leave james elroy books around but i'm not sure if they're all that impressive. im just untidy

once a girl was impressed that i had dr jeckyl and mr hyde on my bed. i should leave that out more often
ruinedbyharps is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Sort of what the thread title says, though they tend to get lost in bookcases, and I do really love them...

1) John Cage - Silence (lectures)

2) Hundertwasser - Harry Rand (biography of the artist with many, many prints)

3) Living in Fear, A History of Horror in the Mass Media - Les Daniels

4) The Scientific American Book of Astronomy (honestly, some day I will write science fiction, and use this book for research ideas, I've been telling myself that for like ten years now!)

5) Negativland - The Letter U and the Numeral 2 (given to me my Mark Hosler for letting him use my school internet account to participate in a Wired forum back when internet was still kind of hard to come by!)
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 08:24 PM   #5
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I got a new Issac Bashevis Singer a few weeks ago, The Spinoza of Market Street. That one and In My Father's Court are fairly quick reads. They are a series of short mostly-autobiographical tales (from Singer's early upbringing in turn-of-the-(20th)century Poland), but most rewarding.
Old 09.28.2008, 08:27 PM   #6
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Photographer's Life by Annie Leibovitz
The most awesome collection of photographs by my favorite photographer.

2. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
The classic "I'm a fucked up depressed rich girl" story that every girl ever loves.

3. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
The classic "I'm a normal person with really really fucked up friends that I always end up falling in love with" story that I love so so so much.

4. Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
Filled with musings, raunchy erotic stories, depressingly disturbing philosophy ramblings, and even more raunchy erotic stories

5. I am America and So Can You! by Stephen Colbert
lulzy.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 08:38 PM   #7
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I have pretty much all my Sci-Fi class reading out plus:

Kierkegaard - Fear And Trembling
Sophocles - The Theban Plays
Leo Tolstoy - The Death of Ivan Ilyich
Homer - The Odyssey
Voltaire - Candide
Gadamer - Turth and Method
Aristotle - Nichomachean Ethics
Bergoffen - The Philosophy of Simon de Beauvoir
William Shakespeare's Complete Works

The rest of my books are in my closet shelf.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 08:53 PM   #8
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Somewhat recently I bought Fear and Trembling that also includes Repetition. I had read it before (most of it) from when I checked it out from a library years ago. He goes off forever on Abraham and Isaac.

The other ones I have (had these for many years) are Either/Or 1 & 2, Philosophical Fragments/Johannes Climacus; all softcover Princeton Press/Hong editions.
Used to have a hardcover Purity of Heart but gave it away.
Old 09.28.2008, 09:07 PM   #9
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
My copy was given to me by my dad from when he took a Philosophy class while at Georgetown. The copy was printed in '69. I haven't read it considering it would be a nice family heirloom.

He told me he tried to read it again after finding it in the garage and was completely confused inspite of his decades old notes and underlines throughout. Ha ha.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 09:43 PM   #10
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
cool thread...i already scooped up a couple titles for my reading list.

The most pretentious book on my shelf is probably 'godel, escher, bach' by hofstadter only because i've never made it through more than 100 pages.
Old 09.28.2008, 09:45 PM   #11
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
viz annual 1999.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 09:49 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Rey, Charles Fernand, 1877-
The romance of the Portuguese in Abyssinia; an account of the adventurous journeys of the Portuguese to the empire of Prester John, their assistance to Ethiopia in its struggle against Islam and their subsequent efforts to impose their own influence and religion, 1490-1633, by Charles F. Rey
New York, Negro Universities Press [1969]
Taddesse Tamrat.
Church and state in Ethiopia, 1270-1527 / by Taddesse Tamrat.
Oxford : Clarendon Press, 1972.
Pankhurst, Richard.
History of Ethiopian towns from the Middle Ages to the early nineteenth century / Richard Pankhurst.
Wiesbaden : Steiner, 1982.
Lobo, Jerónimo, 1596?-1678.
Itinerário. English
The Itinerário of Jerónimo Lobo / translated by Donald M. Lockhart ; from the Portuguese text established and edited by M.G. da Costa ; with an introduction and notes by C.F. Beckingham.
London : Hakluyt Society, 1984.

Whiteway, Richard Stephen.
The Portuguese expedition to Abyssinia in 1541-1543 as narrated by Castanhoso, with some contemporary letters, the short account of Bermudez, and certain extracts from Corrêa. Translated and edited by R. S. Whiteway.
Nendeln, Liechtenstein, Kraus Reprint, 1967.
Beckingham, C. F. (Charles Fraser), 1914-
Some records of Ethiopia, 1593-1646, being extracts from The history of High Ethiopia or Abassia, by Manoel de Almeida, together with Bahrey's History of the Galla, translated and edited by C. F. Beckingham and G. W. B. Huntingford
Nendeln, Liechtenstein, Kraus Reprint, 1967

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 10:09 PM   #13
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
The Sound and The Fury - Faulkner
The Sons - Kafka
The Odyssey - Homer
Lolita - Nabokov
Beyond Good and Evil - Nietzsche
Old 09.28.2008, 11:31 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i... don't.

i have a lot of embarrassing books lying around though, and when people come over i am always saying how my good books are still in boxes.

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2008, 12:17 AM   #15
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
the old testament (for my old hebrew school friends)
man making words (essentially a text book for an afro hispanic literature class im taing, but in reality the best nicolas guillen collection on earth)
the odyssey/ the iliad (full texts)
for whom the bells toll
lords of chaos (a history of satanic black metal)

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2008, 06:43 AM   #16
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i... don't.

i have a lot of embarrassing books lying around though, and when people come over i am always saying how my good books are still in boxes.

Same here. I'm usually not reading anything too deep. Just some popular press mystery novel.
Old 09.29.2008, 07:48 AM   #17
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
On The Road of course, even though I think it's boring (apart from the first 30-pages which are brilliant).
Proust: In Search Of Lost Time (all of the books). I do flick through them often though...
Amis: London Fields.
Lots of stuff by Capote, Flaubert, Woolf, Zola. Nick Kent's The Dark Stuff, Bob Dylan's autobiography.

Viz annuals in the closet (I do have loads of them) with old copies of The Racing Post.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2008, 09:42 AM   #18
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I generally try to put books away.

But House of the Dead and Paradise Lost seem to be sitting out. Though Paradise Lost is a really big book and one that sort of seems like it is supposed to be displayed.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2008, 09:58 AM   #19
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
seriously, do you all leave stuff lying around to impress people?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2008, 10:28 AM   #20
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
The books that are permanently lying around my home at the moment are all about interior decoration or cookery. I think people would probably be more impressed if I took some heed of their contents.

Oh, and a tourist guide to Israel, with which I hope to presuade my girlfriend that we should take a trip there next year.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth