Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Whatca' Diggin'?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2006, 05:11 PM   #1
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
So, I'm going to start this thread for people to let others know about what's got you all excited. Could be a book you're reading, record you just got, movie you just saw, or whatever else you think SY fans either might want, or "just have to" check out. Let us know what it is. Okay, well, since I'm not currently reading anything, I'll say that I'm really into watching the new season of "The Sopranos". So far its pretty good.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 05:19 PM   #2
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite book is
"Shadow People" by Joyce McDonald

I think Sonic Youth fans would dig it
it's about some teenagers living in some noplace town in New Jersey
and their boredom leads to destruction

every time I start to read it I get excited

it's not a classic or anything though
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 05:22 PM   #3
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
Any S E hinton fans here i love all her books
sellouteater is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 06:13 PM   #4
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
I dig Douglas Coupland in an unhealthy way (especially "Microserfs").

And I'm excited about picking up his latest book. You know that feeling of anticipation you get when you're about to sit down with an unread book, one you've been looking forward to for ages? And you get so immersed in the story, you stay up all night, unable to put it down, curled up on the couch in your jammies...

Yes, I am a geek.

But anyway, if you haven't already read Coupland, do it. Do it NOW.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 07:00 PM   #5
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Magnolia. Go see my thread.
Old 03.25.2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Collecting trade tokens.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 07:43 PM   #7
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
Vonnegut! Vonnegut! Vonnegut! Vonnegut! Vonnegut!
Anyone with a sense of humour should read his books

The documentary 'American Movie' about this amateur film-maker who makes awful b movie horror and his permanently stoned friend. They live in a no hope tiny town and have ideas above their station. It's kind of sad that they are so deluded but it is absolutely hilarious for the same reasons, sometimes it ventures into spinal tap territory it's so funny. One of my favourite films ever

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181288/
Some good quotes

Mark: Would you buy this movie for $14.95
Mike: Yeah, hell yeah, man.
Mark: If I can find 3,000 people like you across this country, man, I'm in business.
Mike: Of course, man, I mean... Shit, that's what "Rush" tickets were.

Mark: I was called to the bathroom at the cemetery to take care of something. I walked in the bathroom, and in the middle toilet right there... somebody didn't shit in the toilet, somebody shat on the toilet. They shat on the wall, they shat on the floor. I had to clean it up, man, but before that, for about 10 to 15 seconds man, I just stared at somebody's shit, man. To be totally honest with you, man, it was a really, really profound moment. Cuz I was thinkin', "I'm 30 years old, and in about 10 seconds I gotta start cleaning up somebody's shit, man."

Mark:Last night, man, I was so drunk, I was calling Morocco, man. Trying to get to the Hotel Hilton at Tangiers in Casablanca, man. That's pathetic, man. Is that what you wanna do with your life? Suck down peppermint schnapps and try to call Morocco at 2:00 in the morning? That's senseless. But that's what happens, man.

http://www.demonoid.com/torrents/details/275076/
here's a torrent of it, everyone should watch it!
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 07:52 PM   #8
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
Vonnegut! Vonnegut! Vonnegut! Vonnegut! Vonnegut!
Anyone with a sense of humour should read his books

The documentary 'American Movie' about this amateur film-maker who makes awful b movie horror and his permanently stoned friend. They live in a no hope tiny town and have ideas above their station. It's kind of sad that they are so deluded but it is absolutely hilarious for the same reasons, sometimes it ventures into spinal tap territory it's so funny. One of my favourite films ever

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181288/
Some good quotes

Mark: Would you buy this movie for $14.95
Mike: Yeah, hell yeah, man.
Mark: If I can find 3,000 people like you across this country, man, I'm in business.
Mike: Of course, man, I mean... Shit, that's what "Rush" tickets were.

Mark: I was called to the bathroom at the cemetery to take care of something. I walked in the bathroom, and in the middle toilet right there... somebody didn't shit in the toilet, somebody shat on the toilet. They shat on the wall, they shat on the floor. I had to clean it up, man, but before that, for about 10 to 15 seconds man, I just stared at somebody's shit, man. To be totally honest with you, man, it was a really, really profound moment. Cuz I was thinkin', "I'm 30 years old, and in about 10 seconds I gotta start cleaning up somebody's shit, man."

Mark:Last night, man, I was so drunk, I was calling Morocco, man. Trying to get to the Hotel Hilton at Tangiers in Casablanca, man. That's pathetic, man. Is that what you wanna do with your life? Suck down peppermint schnapps and try to call Morocco at 2:00 in the morning? That's senseless. But that's what happens, man.

http://www.demonoid.com/torrents/details/275076/
here's a torrent of it, everyone should watch it!

I watched that recently too. That spun me into a depression for weeks.

It was piteously funny, if that makes sense. Mark was so passionate about filmmaking, but his efforts were so half-assed, and his failure was imminent, so the whole time you're watching this film, you know you're watching a dying dog struggling to pull itself back up standing.

I admit though, Mike cracked me up. That guy was such a fuckin melt, you couldn't help but laugh at him.
Old 03.25.2006, 07:56 PM   #9
truncated
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
yea i can't wait to read the 5th book in the stephen king dark tower series, i have the last book in the series which i got for a present, it has been gathering dust on the shelf for ages but i can't read it grr. i finished the 4th one over 2 years ago so the build up to read the 5th is so HUGE, i can't wait to get it.

the last book i couldnt put down until the wee small hours was black house by king and straub, a good scary book this one.

who's this coupland fella is he fiction?

I personally thought the 5th and 6th books were FANTASTIC, and the 7th was such a disappointment that it made me wish I'd never bothered finishing the series.

Black House was also a great fuckin book. I want to read The Cell, but I hear it's stylistically quite different from most of King's other novels. Aside from the ending, one of my favorite King novels has to be It. The character development in that book is unbelievable.

Coupland is fiction, and damn good fiction at that. My top recommendations would be Microserfs, Shampoo Planet, and Generation X, to start with. The rest are a bit touchy depending on your tastes.
Old 03.25.2006, 08:53 PM   #10
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and Everything Is Illuminated by I Forgot His Name. Both are really excellent.

I reccomend Coupland. I just finished Shampoo Planet, and it's great.
Old 03.25.2006, 11:31 PM   #11
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Lately I've been watching the Big Lebowski over and over.

I've been listening to Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise and Modest Mouse - Build Something Out Of Nothing.

I've been reading just about nothing.
Old 03.26.2006, 01:56 AM   #12
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Pearl Jam-Live at the Garden DVD
Old 03.26.2006, 01:59 AM   #13
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
No one likes S E Hinton?
sellouteater is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 02:08 AM   #14
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
things I'm excited about lately:

Ernst Kurth: music theorist who wrote some books in the early 20th century. The one I'm excited about now is Romantische Harmonik und ihre Krise in Wagners 'Tristan' (1920)

Arthur Schopenhauer: going back over his philosophy in depth, in particular, The World as Will and Representation...

Giacinto
Scelsi: good composer, not too well known

The Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion: Awesome, literally inspires awe in me.

noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 05:13 AM   #15
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
American Movie - Great film! i randomly saw it late at night and thought it was utterly delightful... the way it was shot... the humour... really cool bunch of guys....

Coupland - he's pretty good, not totally great maybe... my favourite book of his was Hey Nostradamus! Shampoo Planet was fairly enjoyable as well...

Stephen King - was my favourite writer when I was 14... first writer I got into... Insomnia still stands as one of my favourite novels of all time... i think i cherish it largely for reasons of pubescent sentimentality... Needful Things and Pet Semetary I couldn't put down when I read them... I'm a bit sceptical of his newer stuff mind... the one about the cell phones doesn't look promising and i read about 1/3 of black house and abandoned it...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 05:13 AM   #16
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
things i'm excited about:

my noise band
playing online scrabble
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 05:59 AM   #17
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
toy cameras. unwound. sex.
it is what i dig a lot these days
Old 03.26.2006, 08:35 AM   #18
truncated
invito al cielo

Goddammit whorefrost, I STILL don't know who you are from the old board.
Old 03.26.2006, 08:46 AM   #19
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Things I'm Excited about:

Dinosaur Jr., April 7, @ The Orange Peel
Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, June 16-18, Manchester, TN
(Sonic Youth, Beck, Les Claypool & Oysterhead, Common)
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 09:12 AM   #20
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
What I'm diggin' lately: the new board, new madlib record, staropramen beer, fussball, and making music
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth