Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Homosexual protests of Pope Benedict's Remarks
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.23.2008, 01:48 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Gay groups angry at Pope remarks

Pope Benedict made his remarks in an end-of-year speech

Gay groups and activists have reacted angrily after Pope Benedict XVI said that mankind needed to be saved from a destructive blurring of gender.
Speaking on Monday, Pope Benedict said that saving humanity from homosexual or transsexual behaviour was as important as protecting the environment.
The comments were "irresponsible and unacceptable", the UK's Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement (LGCM) said.
Vladimir Luxuria, a transgender former Italian MP, called his words "hurtful".
The row erupted as news emerged that the pontiff is to pay his first visit to the Holy Land in May next year.
'Self-destruction'
Pope Benedict made the comments in an end-of-year speech to senior Vatican staff.
Defending God's creation was not limited to saving the environment, he said, but also about protecting man from himself.

Rainforests deserve, yes, our protection, but the human being ... does not deserve it less

Pope Benedict

Papal address: Key extracts
What Bible says about being gay

It was not "out-of-date metaphysics" to "speak of human nature as 'man' or woman'", he said. It came from the "language of creation, despising which would mean self-destruction for humans".
Gender theories, he said, led to man's "auto-emancipation" from creation and Creator.
"Rain forests deserve, yes, our protection but the human being... does not deserve it less," he said.
LGCM head Rev Sharon Ferguson said the Pope's remarks justified "gay bashing" and bullying.
Mark Dowd, strategist for Christian environmental group Operation Noah, said the comments betrayed "a lack of openness to the complexity of creation".

Derek Munn of the UK based gay rights group Stonewall criticises Pope Benedict XVI's comments

And Ms Luxuria, who recently lost her seat in the Italian parliament, said suggesting people like her were destructive was very hurtful.
"I'm someone who was born as male and has a spiritual and female soul, and it's contradictory that a Pope just thinks of people just made as flesh and not made of a spiritual aspect."
The Catholic Church opposes gay marriage. It teaches that while homosexuality is not sinful, homosexual acts are.
Earlier this month, the Vatican said that a proposed United Nations resolution decriminalising homosexuality went too far.
"Unjust discrimination" against gay people should be avoided, but the use of wording such as "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" in the text would "create serious uncertainty in the law", it said.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 01:49 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
what an idiot fuck, that king of child molesters
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 01:50 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
when I read this I was thinking, hello, is the pope catholic?

why would homosexual groups NOT expect this kind of rhetoric from the highest Church leader in the world?

also:
An illustration of the division can be seen by what either side might say about the friendship in the Old Testament between David and Jonathan. One verse reads: "I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; dear and delightful you were to me; your love for me was wonderful, surpassing the love of women."

PRO-GAY
A pro-gay position might be that this is a clear indication that King David had a gay relationship, and to pretend otherwise is naive.

ANTI-GAY
An anti-gay opinion might be that the friendship between the two men was exactly that - a very close and loyal allegiance.

I also disagreed with the homosexual interpretation of King David and Jonathon.

I personally love my best friend Andrew as a brother, an equal, and much more so than any romantic relationships I have ever had, and there is absolutely no hint of sexuality to this love for my brother. So why is naive?

Old 12.23.2008, 02:27 PM   #4
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

why would homosexual groups NOT expect this kind of rhetoric from the highest Church leader in the world?

also:
An illustration of the division can be seen by what either side might say about the friendship in the Old Testament between David and Jonathan. One verse reads: "I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; dear and delightful you were to me; your love for me was wonderful, surpassing the love of women."

PRO-GAY
A pro-gay position might be that this is a clear indication that King David had a gay relationship, and to pretend otherwise is naive.

ANTI-GAY
An anti-gay opinion might be that the friendship between the two men was exactly that - a very close and loyal allegiance.

I personally love my best friend Andrew as a brother, an equal, and much more so than any romantic relationships I have ever had, and there is absolutely no hint of sexuality to this love for my brother. So why is naive?
the real problem is that people feel the need to prove issues through an out of date archaic book. like the people that try to make borders with the bible

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 02:31 PM   #5
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
the real problem is that people feel the need to prove issues through an out of date archaic book. like the people that try to make borders with the bible
this topic has come up before, the bible is far from archaic, it is a living text which adapts constantly to the needs of its readers.

Old 12.23.2008, 02:48 PM   #6
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Pfft, religion blows. Fuck Josef Ratzinger and his band of douchebags.
Old 12.23.2008, 02:50 PM   #7
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
im pretty sure that its archaic
moses killing a man for carrying wood on a saturday for instance. the problem is those that take it literaly and think that others lives should be afected in what they nelive it.
so even if everyone in the bible agrees that homosxuality is an abomination and whatnot, who cares. it shouldnt be a way ofd deciding laws and whatnot. ...

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 03:04 PM   #8
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
the Pope's own homosexuality lies dormant, and he doesn't want to reveal it. I understand hiм... God will be mad at him... probably even worse...
Old 12.23.2008, 03:45 PM   #9
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Who cares get over it HOMOS!!!
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 03:49 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
im pretty sure that its archaic
moses killing a man for carrying wood on a saturday for instance. the problem is those that take it literaly and think that others lives should be afected in what they nelive it.
so even if everyone in the bible agrees that homosxuality is an abomination and whatnot, who cares. it shouldnt be a way ofd deciding laws and whatnot. ...

Just because the literal texts of the bible have not been changed does not quite make it archaic, because the meanings, interpretations and translations of these long-standing stories are constantly evolving. The bible is text, which is read by individuals, and individuals change this text with each reading. It therefore far from archaic, an archaic text would be something like
CUSAS 1, 140 (CUNES 50-11-052)

DescriptionAccount of cereal products for town festival
previous | next

Click image to enlarge

which as not been popularly read for quite some time..

Old 12.23.2008, 06:31 PM   #11
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, who fucking cares. Is it news that Christians are against homosexuality?

Just let them do their thing while you do your thing for fucks sake.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 06:42 PM   #12
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Who gives a flying fuck what this guy thinks?
What is a pope for anyway?

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 07:05 PM   #13
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
this topic has come up before, the bible is far from archaic, it is a living text which adapts constantly to the needs of its readers.
It isn't a living text when it is read as an absolute.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 08:19 PM   #14
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
It isn't a living text when it is read as an absolute.
Exactly. But I think it does have the potential to be adaptive, with intelligent readers.

Then of course, a lot of things have the potential to be instructive for intelligent readers, I guess. This is where things get tricky.

But in regards to the topic, a lot of people do listen to the pope, and for that reason this is a big problem. If the pope were to become more lenient toward homosexuality, so would Christianity in general. Becoming more hostile is not good.

Not that the pope's aggression is going to stop progress, but it's not totally inconsequential.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 08:21 PM   #15
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

also:

PRO-GAY

ANTI-GAY

You remind me so much of Gary Busey. Most of what you say is babble, but every once in a while you have something intelligent to say.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 08:33 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not saying Benjy didn't say something iffy, but he's been ever-so-slightly mis-quoted by the press on this one. Having said that, he does basically think that bum-Lords have got the wrong idea, so... it's troublesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 08:33 PM   #17
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

yeh some people never stop going on about it either. i dont see it as a living text.

i wish you would stop putting yourself on a pedestal as the authority on religion.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 08:35 PM   #18
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
can I get an AYYYYY-MEEENNNN?
Old 12.23.2008, 08:36 PM   #19
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
can I get an AYYYYY-MEEENNNN?

only if everyone says it like james brown.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2008, 08:46 PM   #20
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

That was my intention.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth