Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page but is it really art? i mean, come on...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.06.2010, 09:35 AM   #201
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
OCD.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 09:46 AM   #202
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploesj
at a certain point in this century art started to be more about art itself than about making a picture of something. all work had to be refreshing and original, which would mean the end of art, because as soon as you show the piece a second time it's not original anymore.

yeah, this is one of things that i find frustrating and boring about a lot of art, art about art is probably the least interesting thing in the world and yet it is all over the place and when i was at art school the tutors would cream themselves over that stuff.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 09:46 AM   #203
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
OCD.

ocd gets on my fucking tits
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 10:07 AM   #204
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
no doubt dudes like that are talented but i don't understand how they can be bothered to take the time to paint like that as it's a very painstaking process.

One gets in the ZONE
Old 01.06.2010, 10:11 AM   #205
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah, this is one of things that i find frustrating and boring about a lot of art, art about art is probably the least interesting thing in the world and yet it is all over the place and when i was at art school the tutors would cream themselves over that stuff.

This was always a point of contention between me and my art teachers. They were very adamant that we keep up with current art shows, to visit gallerires, read artnews and artforum and art in america to keep up with what other artists were doing. I found that to be decent advise, just so that one is versed in the world they are trying to enter/become a part of, but their insistence upon it drove me insane. I would much rather artists spent their free time reading about the world around them, enjoying music, visiting different cultures, experiencing all the sides of life. these should be a focus, for it is these things that allow a human to grow and an artist to fill her/his head with ideas and knowledge and inspiration.

Only so much inspiration can come by lookig at other's artwork I feel.

while studying other artists to better understand technique or to help solve issues one is having in one;s own art is vital, keeping up wuith current art trends seems not so important to me.
Old 01.06.2010, 11:54 AM   #206
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
I thought it was a photo at first. I have alot of respect for someone that can make something like that out of nothing. I know if I painted that leopard he would look like a dog that was hit by a car. I have always admired that talent.

But what has he expressed in this painting? What is the meaning of it? It's purpose? Does the painting inspire you? What mood, message does it communicate to you? What ideas does it express? How does it stimulate your emotions?

Anyway, some Pollock:

Old 01.06.2010, 12:16 PM   #207
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I think when a piece of art is only about art, then yes, I agree. I like Truffaut's position: that truly great art says something about art and something about life. He was talking specifically about film but it works just as well if you replace the word 'film' with 'art'.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 12:27 PM   #208
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
One thing, however, did become clear to him – why so many perfect works of art did not please him at all, why they were almost hateful and boring to him, in spite of a certain undeniable beauty. Workshops, churches, and palaces were full of these fatal works of art; he had even helped with a few himself. They were deeply disappointing because they aroused the desire for the highest and did not fulfill it. They lacked the most essential thing – mystery. That was what dreams and truly great works of art had in common: mystery.
- Hesse

I hate discussions about the definition of art.
anyways, here are some of my current favourite painters

Arik Bauer

Amanda Sage

Fritz Aigner

doesn't really fit into this selection but I just recently got into him, Caravaggio

A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 12:30 PM   #209
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
But what has he expressed in this painting? What is the meaning of it? It's purpose? Does the painting inspire you? What mood, message does it communicate to you? What ideas does it express? How does it stimulate your emotions?

Anyway, some Pollock:

Meaningless shit.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 12:37 PM   #210
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Meaningless shit.

Meaningless shit.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 12:38 PM   #211
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I didn'y really 'get' Pollock until I did the whole Jackson Pollock Jazz thing but Norman Rockwell's The Connoisseur, as though by commandment, really helped me to place Pollock's work in the proper pantheon of art history instead of being the 'oddball hack' that so many unimaginative dead-weights (e.g. Keeping It Boring) exceptionalize him to be.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 12:44 PM   #212
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
Meaningless shit.

You agree with me then. Pollock was a deadbeat charlatan who browntongued his way into the affections of a couple of pseuds in the art world who in return bigged up his monstrosities.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 12:47 PM   #213
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
you mean like, paintings and stuff?
Old 01.06.2010, 12:50 PM   #214
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You agree with me then. Pollock was a deadbeat charlatan who browntongued his way into the affections of a couple of pseuds in the art world who in return bigged up his monstrosities.

Why don't you tell us what you actually like dear? Sometimes, it's better to share than to blithely dismiss things with unqualified hysterical nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 12:50 PM   #215
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
</p>Any answer you get Skuj is only a reflection of someone else's mind. Art does not have to "express" anything. Art does not have to have a purpose. the questions you pose are more suitable to an allegorical work by carrvaggio or Michelangelo than a photo-realist image of a nature scene, although they can be answered in relation to the jaguar.repose, satisfaction, the regal bearing of a true predator. Even working from a photograph there are a million different decisions to be made by the painter to depict it as he/she has. a beautiful image is an end unto itself. anything else is gravy.
Old 01.06.2010, 12:52 PM   #216
Heywood Floyd
little trouble girl

Heywood Floyd kicks all y'all's assesHeywood Floyd kicks all y'all's assesHeywood Floyd kicks all y'all's assesHeywood Floyd kicks all y'all's assesHeywood Floyd kicks all y'all's assesHeywood Floyd kicks all y'all's assesHeywood Floyd kicks all y'all's assesHeywood Floyd kicks all y'all's assesHeywood Floyd kicks all y'all's assesHeywood Floyd kicks all y'all's assesHeywood Floyd kicks all y'all's asses
I always used to think about that Bukowksi poem with no words, just a title. Was this, in the process of not actually making art, art itself? Anti-art?
Heywood Floyd is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:03 PM   #217
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Pollock was a deadbeat charlatan who browntongued his way into the affections of a couple of pseuds in the art world who in return bigged up his monstrosities.

oh! the mule opines on the subject of french pastries! what's next? dogs discoursing on ancient greek literature? lectures on space travel by garden snails? encyclopaedia articles written by amoebas?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:05 PM   #218
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
encyclopaedia articles written by amoebas?
I see you've yet to read wikipedia then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:07 PM   #219
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
</p>Any answer you get Skuj is only a reflection of someone else's mind. Art does not have to "express" anything. Art does not have to have a purpose. the questions you pose are more suitable to an allegorical work by carrvaggio or Michelangelo than a photo-realist image of a nature scene, although they can be answered in relation to the jaguar.repose, satisfaction, the regal bearing of a true predator. Even working from a photograph there are a million different decisions to be made by the painter to depict it as he/she has. a beautiful image is an end unto itself. anything else is gravy.

Exactly art can be view in different contexts by different people. Yeah it can have one universal link that unifies it to the era it was produced, but like i said many people can view it in a different light. You probably won't ever get the answers you want from an art piece.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:08 PM   #220
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
excuse me but have you ever seen a painting by Pollock for realz like in a museum n' shit?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth