Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Royal Wedding
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.01.2011, 05:30 PM   #221
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
So you are denying that a country loses money when people take days off? Lol. Many businesses were closed for an entire week. Restaurants, bars and hotels are not the most significant part of an economy fiy.

Everytime people don't go to work when expected there is a revenue loss, sad fact isn't it?

The only way to call it 'profitable' is to ignore the 'days-off' factor.

I didn't say that at all, actually I'm challenging your inference that so many people really "took the day off" to the net loss of the economy? Again show me the numbers and I will shut up, but I don't believe you can

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2011, 05:39 PM   #222
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
I said they were estimates.
I don't have to prove to you that taking days off equals losses, do I?
DO I?

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2011, 05:41 PM   #223
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I have worked with the public a lot in my life and am used to ignoring stupidity. My wife however is increasingly intolerant of ignorance and pointed out very succinctly (and without recourse to physical violence) that she was in fact talking out of her hat.

I like to make them feel uncomfortable.
But I don't feel bad about saying anything. I mean, if they can say shit like that why shouldn't I say what I want to say?

Old 05.01.2011, 05:45 PM   #224
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I like to make them feel uncomfortable.
But I don't feel bad about saying anything. I mean, if they can say shit like that why shouldn't I say what I want to say?
People often say things as if they're stating an incontrovertible truth and it wouldn't enter their tiny little minds that there is an alternative opinion. You're meant to nod and agree or join in with their nonsensical ramblings.

I vow to challenge stupidity at every opportunity.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2011, 05:46 PM   #225
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Now let me get something clear: did we lose or make money through this wedding? I'm confused. One person says one thing, somebody says something different. Surely both can't be right!!!
Old 05.01.2011, 05:47 PM   #226
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
People often say things as if they're stating an incontrovertible truth and it wouldn't enter their tiny little minds that there is an alternative opinion. You're meant to nod and agree or join in with their nonsensical ramblings.

I vow to challenge stupidity at every opportunity.

I suppose this is why I'm always getting into arguments on the bus.

Old 05.01.2011, 05:47 PM   #227
Pookie
invito al cielo

Did I make any money?
Old 05.01.2011, 05:49 PM   #228
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
I suppose this is why I'm always getting into arguments on the bus.
On the bus!? I don't know if I can do that straight away. I thought I'd start by posting anonymous notes through the doors of bigots and work my way up from there.
Old 05.01.2011, 05:50 PM   #229
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Now let me get something clear: did we lose or make money through this wedding? I'm confused. One person says one thing, somebody says something different. Surely both can't be right!!!

Depends on how you look at it and the interest of whoever is disclosing the numbers. There is a general consensus among economists that the profits made up for a lot of the costs, however, the economy stopping causes great losses that are very difficult to estimate. Most 'realiable' sources say the profits helped, but you still lost a bit. The most positive outlook is that the profits can make up for the costs, but still there wouldn't be anything left.

But I don't think that's relevant in the end.

Old 05.01.2011, 05:52 PM   #230
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
On the bus!? I don't know if I can do that straight away. I thought I'd start by posting anonymous notes through the doors of bigots and work my way up from there.

I can't help myself if I hear someone saying something stupid, I guess that an obvious thing about me. If I'm in a bad mood I'll even tell off people saying bad things about the person who went to the toilet in a bar.

WHY DON'T YOU SAY IT HER FACE CUNT. Have some guts.

Old 05.01.2011, 05:52 PM   #231
Pookie
invito al cielo

Whichever way you look at it though, we were all winners on that day weren't we?
Old 05.01.2011, 05:52 PM   #232
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Did I make any money?

That's the spirit.

Old 05.01.2011, 05:53 PM   #233
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I said they were estimates.
I don't have to prove to you that taking days off equals losses, do I?
DO I?
sister, now you just sound either hopeless of stupid. Yes, you do need to show me the numbers. How many people took the day off versus how many still went to work or at least had a paid holiday? How many people went out on that day off and went shopping or just impulse spending and actually CONTRIBUTED to the economy for the day off? And lastly, you are the one who quoted these wildly speculated numbers of $2 BILLION in losses, and I simply called your bluff. Show me the actual numbers or I will just continue dismissing your opinion as ideological, and that is fine, you have the right to your own opinions, just please don't pretend they are factual if you don't have the numbers.

Old 05.01.2011, 06:00 PM   #234
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
sister, now you just sound either hopeless of stupid. Yes, you do need to show me the numbers. How many people took the day off versus how many still went to work or at least had a paid holiday? How many people went out on that day off and went shopping or just impulse spending and actually CONTRIBUTED to the economy for the day off? And lastly, you are the one who quoted these wildly speculated numbers of $2 BILLION in losses, and I simply called your bluff. Show me the actual numbers or I will just continue dismissing your opinion as ideological, and that is fine, you have the right to your own opinions, just please don't pretend they are factual if you don't have the numbers.

I'm not sure if you realise this but I'm not a research institute.
You can try and Google if you're really that interested.
I'm also not sure if you realise most people took more than one day off (some an entire week), or that 2 billion is not that much for an entire economy shut down for a few days. Or that nobody really knows for sure and it's pratically impossible to find unbiased statistics in this case. Or that ultimately I don't care because it won't change how I feel about it in any way.

Old 05.01.2011, 06:00 PM   #235
Pookie
invito al cielo

Just to help knox out:

My family:
0 out of 4 didn't work (2 children didn't go to school, I wouldn't have been working anyway, Mrs Pookie would have been working).

We spent approximately £20 on various bits of food and drink.

My wife watched from about 10am to 11:30am (approx.)

The children were coming and going so we couldn't really count them as watching really.

Value of wedding souvenirs bought: £0
Old 05.01.2011, 06:00 PM   #236
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
you misunderstand me. I didn't necessarily say it was the best investment, I just said it was by no means a loss, and in the scheme of things, governments waste a lot more money are a lot worser things, like war and destruction. At least this bullshit wedding made people smile rather than die in the streets

meanwhile...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/cutsandclosures
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2011, 06:15 PM   #237
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

maybe you missed this part

Quote:

Besides, its not the monarchy that is waging war, the monarchy is merely a symbol, its the supposedly elected, democratic regime that is fighting the wars, and pursuing self-defeating "austerity measures" so who is the real enemy there? A harmless old lady that makes millions of people feel warm and fuzzy (and true, pisses off and alienates a whole other segment of people) or a bunch of crooks in suits and ties that kill kill kill everyday as if it were just going to the office?

Quote:

The "elected" UK govt is pursuing nothing but austerity measures, so we can't honestly expect them to have invested the money where it belongs, so I say pick the best of the worse evils. .

Old 05.01.2011, 06:45 PM   #238
knox
invito al cielo

Wow.

"A harmless old lady that makes millions of people feel warm and fuzzy"

Yes, that's what the monarchy is for.
Sorry suchfriends but you don't know what you're talking about.
Come back not stoned.

Old 05.01.2011, 07:01 PM   #239
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
@suchfriends:

i don't think it's a harmless old lady that symbolizes the perpetuation of an absurd class system that perpetuates privilege without merit, but if you're fine eating crumbs from the master's table then by all means enjoy it-- lots of people apparently do.

the issue is not if people in power are assholes or not. people in power cause a lot of damage-- some involuntary, some with forethought and malice. when power is temporary, you can replace the bastards for other bastards of your preference. you can even prosecute them once they are out of power. when power is hereditary and sanctioned by law, good luck getting rid of the motherfuckers (hello, kim jong illness #27).

democracy and elections of course do not magically eliminate the problem of political power in nation-states, and they have not abolished the monopoly of the state on violence, but that's an issue that goes beyond mere forms of government. a government is still a government and it's going to be a very long time until we have something less barbaric than we do--we might never have it as long as violence and exploitation continue to be part of human nature.

of course the current british monarchy is pretty much neutered these days (though it owns a huge chunk of the country though), but what it represents still stinks of the most foul and shitty absurdity-- that there is a class of people who is by inheritance better than the rest.
Old 05.01.2011, 07:12 PM   #240
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Honestly, I loved tobacco, the way it tasted, smelled, smoked, made you feel, but in the end, it was illusory.

+

Quote:
People need things to believe in even if it is rather silly

91011 12 131415 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth