Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.08.2016, 10:22 AM   #2601
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
He told HOT 97 to fire Funkmaster Flex before he comes to do an interview. Now that's a coward move, because he knows damn well Funk Flex would straight shit on him and embarrass him if he did.

I truly can't stand him as an entertainer. See I called Taylor a psychopath but I get the same traits from Drake. He's truly the male version of her. Both aren't extraordinarily talented but are very obsessed about the way they're perceived and portrayed by the media. Both constantly manipulate and take advantage of other people. Both are obsessed with their own success.

Drake is so dull. At this point he's nothing but an image and a bunch of catchy songs, with little artistic merit to back it up.

I would rather listen to Taylor Swift than Drake at this point. When "Bad Blood" gets stuck in my head, at least it gets the neurons flowing. It's fun. When "Started from the bottom" gets in my head, it's like that earworm scene from Star Trek II

Drake's best moment for me came at the end of IYRTITL. "6 p.m. In New York" ... And that was his best Kanye impression. He almost found an identity for himself with tracks like "6 man" ... but then he didn't.

He's surviced this long because he's always the first one to joke about himself. Or was. So he gets away with being ridiculous because he does this "aw shucks" shit. But deep down, he's a Trump-level narcissist. I'll bet Lil Wayns is cursing himself for helping Drake. I can't imagine why Kanye, who's still, inexplicably, somehow at the top of his game (musically) 12 years into his career, by associating himself with such a clearly transitory figure.

I doubt there will actually be a collab album. People throw out those ideas all the time. Kendrick and J Cole? Beyoncé and Jay Z? But how often does it actually come to pass? Kanye was supposed to make a Child Rebel Soldier album too. Remember that? That would have been awesome, of course, but it never happened. He was also supposed to have a new album out by now. Didn't happen. And Good Ass Job never happened. Let's hope this goes in the "never happened" pile... very soon.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2016, 09:59 PM   #2602
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Not hip hop, but holy shit the new Dino Jr album is good. My fav since Beyond.
Old 08.09.2016, 10:27 AM   #2603
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Not hip hop, but holy shit the new Dino Jr album is good. My fav since Beyond.

Aw, forgot about this! Glad to hear you like it. I will give it a spin ASAP.
Old 08.09.2016, 01:24 PM   #2604
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
The production on 7 Day Theory is direct and no-frills, but totally badass in my opinion. But that's my favorite Pac record, so there.
oh the production on 7 Day Theory is superb its a true masterpiece and realistically changed the entire tone and feel of rap music towards the mid-90s horrorcore feel.

Quote:
I also can't really argue with that fact that, Dre or no Dre, All Eyez on Me's production was really impressive at the time. In all honesty, I prefer BIG's Life After Death as an album, but All Eyez had the whole world bouncin.

im not surprised you like ready 2 die more, you prefer that east coast sound, but i am glad you are still able to appreciate that particular west coast boogie that is All Eyez On Me

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2016, 01:59 PM   #2605
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
New Joey Badass video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnA25dVzrQ
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2016, 02:08 PM   #2606
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
I want someone to make a modern All Eyez on Me. Just straight West Coast bangers from start to finish.

As much as Kendrick admires 2Pac, I think he's in a different lane. He reminds me more of Common, Lupe and Pharaoh Monch.
Old 08.10.2016, 02:30 PM   #2607
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I want someone to make a modern All Eyez on Me. Just straight West Coast bangers from start to finish.

As much as Kendrick admires 2Pac, I think he's in a different lane. He reminds me more of Common, Lupe and Pharaoh Monch.

did you miss Game Documentary 2.0 disc 2???
its as close as we're ever gonna get to that

Old 08.10.2016, 02:41 PM   #2608
louder
invito al cielo

You mean 2.5? Yeah, I feel you on that.
Old 08.10.2016, 02:46 PM   #2609
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
You mean 2.5? Yeah, I feel you on that.
you know i in particular loved it almost as much as i loved Doctors Advocate when it dropped.

i must tell you, here in LA Doctors Advocate was the first communal rap record since maybe DJ Quik Rhythmalism. i mean EVERYONE was bumping it EVERYWHERE you went in LA. i loved that record.

Old 08.10.2016, 02:47 PM   #2610
louder
invito al cielo

The Doc 2.5 proved that (if anyone still had doubts) The Game is far far superior to his counterpart 50 Cent.
Old 08.10.2016, 04:36 PM   #2611
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
anyone download the new ILoveMakonnen mix? I will be blasting it on the commute home today.
Old 08.10.2016, 04:53 PM   #2612
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
you know i in particular loved it almost as much as i loved Doctors Advocate when it dropped.

i must tell you, here in LA Doctors Advocate was the first communal rap record since maybe DJ Quik Rhythmalism. i mean EVERYONE was bumping it EVERYWHERE you went in LA. i loved that record.
That's what's up. I agree that The Doc 2.5 is almost on DA's level and I wish it wasn't so overlooked, too bad the whole album rollout and promotion were messy.
Old 08.10.2016, 04:57 PM   #2613
louder
invito al cielo

@ Rob

You should check out Tory Lanez, "Cruel Intentions" EP in particular. His production is very similar to Travis Scott's so I think you're gonna dig it. I think it's a perfect EP from start to finish. His official debut album drops next weekend and I'm pretty excited.
Old 08.10.2016, 05:08 PM   #2614
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
That's what's up. I agree that The Doc 2.5 is almost on DA's level and I wish it wasn't so overlooked, too bad the whole album rollout and promotion were messy.

on its own musically Doc 2.5 is the superior record but in the context of its setting and experience Doctors Advocate is superior.

sort of like how In Utero is mos.def better than Nevermind but how Nevermind is the more impacting record is kind of like "duh"

Old 08.10.2016, 05:45 PM   #2615
Severian
invito al cielo

Game is always pretty overlooked these days. He puts out so many albums and very few of them become widespread projects. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. I very much doubt he'll ever drop another "classic" in the cultural sense.
Old 08.10.2016, 05:49 PM   #2616
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
on its own musically Doc 2.5 is the superior record but in the context of its setting and experience Doctors Advocate is superior.

sort of like how In Utero is mos.def better than Nevermind but how Nevermind is the more impacting record is kind of like "duh"

Yeah, that's true globally, but In Utero hits me much harder. I think the only Nevermind track that packs the same punch as "Serve the Servants" and "Scentless Apprentice" is "In Bloom" ... maybe "Drain You." "Lithium" if I haven't heard it in a while.

I think I'm one of the few people who genuinely thinks In Utero is an all around better record, no caveats. Like, I know it's not as widely beloved, and doesn't quite have Nevermind's "legendary" status as far as the pop world is concerned, but I think it's a stronger record in literally every imaginable way.
Old 08.10.2016, 06:35 PM   #2617
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, that's true globally, but In Utero hits me much harder. I think the only Nevermind track that packs the same punch as "Serve the Servants" and "Scentless Apprentice" is "In Bloom" ... maybe "Drain You." "Lithium" if I haven't heard it in a while.

I think I'm one of the few people who genuinely thinks In Utero is an all around better record, no caveats. Like, I know it's not as widely beloved, and doesn't quite have Nevermind's "legendary" status as far as the pop world is concerned, but I think it's a stronger record in literally every imaginable way.

i meant reception and popularity when i mentioned impact of Nevermind. i definitely as i mentioned prefer In Utero in every single way

Old 08.10.2016, 07:32 PM   #2618
Severian
invito al cielo

I was recently reading though that Cobain book that Rolling Stone published shortly after his death (girlfriend gave me a copy a few weeks back) and I re-read all the original Nirvana album reviews Rolling Stone initially published. Almost unthinkable now, but "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was not even mentioned in the Nevermind review that came out in '91.

I'm not sure how anyone could listen to that album and not at least think of the song as noteworthy. I mean, it's certainly not their best song, or even in the top 10, but it's an album opener and a half. How did that not warrant a mention? I know the album and single hadn't blown up at the time of the review, but still. It's almost funny to imagine someone putting on Nevermind for the first time and just kinda going "meh, next!" in the middle of SLTS.

Amirite?
Old 08.11.2016, 02:30 AM   #2619
louder
invito al cielo

Anticipating Sev's thoughts on Tory's Cruel Intentions EP as well.
Old 08.11.2016, 02:30 AM   #2620
louder
invito al cielo

Yeah.. In Utero is far better than Nevermind.
81121128129130 131 132133134141181 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth