Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.11.2016, 02:31 AM   #2621
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I was recently reading though that Cobain book that Rolling Stone published shortly after his death (girlfriend gave me a copy a few weeks back) and I re-read all the original Nirvana album reviews Rolling Stone initially published. Almost unthinkable now, but "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was not even mentioned in the Nevermind review that came out in '91.

I'm not sure how anyone could listen to that album and not at least think of the song as noteworthy. I mean, it's certainly not their best song, or even in the top 10, but it's an album opener and a half. How did that not warrant a mention? I know the album and single hadn't blown up at the time of the review, but still. It's almost funny to imagine someone putting on Nevermind for the first time and just kinda going "meh, next!" in the middle of SLTS.

Amirite?
That's funny.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2016, 06:17 AM   #2622
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
I;ve read that Rolling Stone review too. it's like "this sounds like the Replacements". bleh!!
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2016, 10:14 AM   #2623
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
I;ve read that Rolling Stone review too. it's like "this sounds like the Replacements". bleh!!

Not just Replacements, but Replacements, Pixies and Sonic Youth.

Nevermind has very little in common with any of these artists... though perhaps more in common with each individually than these three have with each other. There are moments that kind of sound like what Sonic Youth might have sounded like if they had ever in their career fully embraced ABAD song structures. But they haven't. Except for Endless, Nameless, there is nothing on Nevermind that sounds anything like anything SY had made at that point.

I suppose some of Kurt's more understated vocals (the verse of "Lithium" for example) bears some resemblance to Thurston's delivery on tracks like "Disappearer." Deadpan, but with a little twinkle of eccentricity. But the SY influence on Nirvana was more cultural than anything else.

The Replacements? Naw man. What Replacements albums was this guy listening to? Even back on Sorry Ma... the Mats had a spirited pop-punk sounds that was balanced out by traditional blue collar confessional rock. Paul Westerberg and Kurt Cobain both had nice screams that managed to convey a kind of too-human vulnerability, but that's where the similarities end.

Bands are lumped together far too much. I've see the Pixies and Sonic Youth compared more times than I could count in a lifetime, but there are very few actual sonic an dynamic similarities between the two bands. Might as well compare the B-52's and Swans.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2016, 12:13 PM   #2624
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
The noisey part on Drain You always reminded me of SY.. would've loved Nirvana even more if they made a full Sonic Youth influenced record.
Old 08.11.2016, 12:52 PM   #2625
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Is the Rolling Stone book good? I have read Come As You Are and Heavier Than Heaven. Is the Rolling Stone one worth a shit?
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2016, 01:09 PM   #2626
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
The noisey part on Drain You always reminded me of SY.. would've loved Nirvana even more if they made a full Sonic Youth influenced record.
you didn't think that is more or less what In Utero was? That record sounds like Kurt listened to Endless, Nameless and the noise "solo" on Drain You and said to himself, "Shit i think with Steve Albini's help we can make a record that sounds entirely like this."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2016, 04:21 PM   #2627
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Is the Rolling Stone book good? I have read Come As You Are and Heavier Than Heaven. Is the Rolling Stone one worth a shit?

It's not really a "book" the way those others are. It's an editorial anthology of album reviews, interviews, concert reviews, timelines, etc. that's been on the shelf forever. Rolling Stone released it in 1994, as a nod to Kurt.

I you've been in a Barnes & Noble at any point in the last 22 years, you've surely seen it. It's a big old thing. A compilation, if you will. Definitely a bit of a cash grab. I'm glad I have it, but that's only because I'm a bit of a completist. I don't think it's essential. You've probably read all the content already if you're a big Nirvana fan.
Old 08.11.2016, 04:33 PM   #2628
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
the Rolling Stones anthology is a must-read

Old 08.11.2016, 05:49 PM   #2629
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

I've never thought of that, but yeah, that portion of Drain You does sound rather Sonic Youthy. I've always though of that section as an example of what happens when someone who doesn't have the skills to create a swelling, tense noise solo tries to pull one off anyway... but ultimately it works in the context of the song.
Old 08.11.2016, 07:43 PM   #2630
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Endless Nameless is the best song on Nevermind. followed by Drain You. both songs have been an mental exertion of confusion to choose between in my life ever since. still thinking of the utmost melodic conservative to the utmost sloppy fucked up improvised way of living
Old 08.11.2016, 08:43 PM   #2631
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
Endless Nameless is the best song on Nevermind. followed by Drain You. both songs have been an mental exertion of confusion to choose between in my life ever since. still thinking of the utmost melodic conservative to the utmost sloppy fucked up improvised way of living

i always liked Lounge Act

Old 08.11.2016, 08:44 PM   #2632
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I've never thought of that, but yeah, that portion of Drain You does sound rather Sonic Youthy. I've always though of that section as an example of what happens when someone who doesn't have the skills to create a swelling, tense noise solo tries to pull one off anyway... but ultimately it works in the context of the song.
you're dissing Kurt too much here knock it off

Old 08.11.2016, 08:57 PM   #2633
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Lounge Act is about as intense as a rock/pop track can sound. those wild screams at the end!!
Old 08.11.2016, 09:00 PM   #2634
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Territorial Pissings, ftw.
Old 08.11.2016, 10:31 PM   #2635
pepper_green
Banned

^^ only if it's this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhS6pt_Ufls
Old 08.11.2016, 10:46 PM   #2636
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Hahaha i knew it was that version before clicking. That is the besttttt tv spot ever.
Old 08.12.2016, 12:00 AM   #2637
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Hahaha i knew it was that version before clicking. That is the besttttt tv spot ever.
oh that is that magic fun kurt that makes me get so pissed whenever people obsess over him like he was the depressed god. i get it, he killed himself, its sad, but his life was so much more than that and he was NOT a depressing figure he and Nirvana were probably one of the most sincerely FUN bands of all time.

they were the complete opposite of self absorbed and made a mockery of pop music media and scene at every chance they could get.

Old 08.12.2016, 02:00 AM   #2638
louder
invito al cielo

So no one is willing to listen to Cruel Intentions?

Old 08.12.2016, 09:52 AM   #2639
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Same here. One of my favorite Krist bass songs of all time, maybe just behind Hairspray Queen.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2016, 09:57 AM   #2640
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
oh that is that magic fun kurt that makes me get so pissed whenever people obsess over him like he was the depressed god. i get it, he killed himself, its sad, but his life was so much more than that and he was NOT a depressing figure he and Nirvana were probably one of the most sincerely FUN bands of all time.

they were the complete opposite of self absorbed and made a mockery of pop music media and scene at every chance they could get.

Yeah, I'm with you here SFAD. All those candle burning, poetry in italics, Hot Topic Kurt-with-angel-wings shirt wearing motherfuckers completely miss the point of why Nirvana was so great, why they were so different, and why Kurt was such a unique voice in the world at the time.

They just didn't give a single solitary fuck. Their tv appearances were hilariously juvenile at least ¾ of the time. Yeah, there was some definite melancholy behind Kurt's sardonic smile... sure, he had addiction problems and health problems, but that's just evidence that he was a human being. Human beings are complicated. I think he did struggle with depression and existential doubt, but that's what people do. Especially highly intelligent people, like Kurt.

But he was not a Christ pose striking, cry-me-a-river person.

He was not like:

Indeed, he was quite the opposite. Nirvana was the opposite. They had a raucous good time taking the piss out of interviewers who tried to inflate their mythos. They were almost never serious, except when they were pounding out kick ass punk rock music. Then, it was like watching a mini guerrilla army mobilize for a frantic strike. And it kicked all kinds of ass, and it was good. Even when it was "bad" it was good.

And they laughed at the entire world.

82122129130131 132 133134135142182 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth