Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Royal Wedding
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.02.2011, 01:30 PM   #261
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
You mock the British a lot more than me, floatingslowly.
You should have to take it.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2011, 01:32 PM   #262
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
moi?

you wouldn't be able to tell from way down there, but I have the face of an angel and the heart of a saint.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2011, 01:39 PM   #263
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
glice is a jolly good fellow who surely doesn't deserve this bit of haranguing.

my word, you've made him so testy he's gone and left his hat!
Old 05.02.2011, 01:52 PM   #264
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Right.

Well, I chose not to do that. Crazy me.

Old 05.02.2011, 01:56 PM   #265
knox
invito al cielo

Anyway, I'm not sure if Glice realised I wasn't talking about him and was actually supporting his point by saying it's a discussion that has something to do with ideology rather than costs.

Old 05.02.2011, 02:02 PM   #266
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I did realise that, yes. And you're still invited around for crumpets and a shout about how the referee's a wanker.

I welcome criticism, I just tend to respond to it in a characteristic West Country way - acerbically and ostensibly hysterically. We're like that round these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2011, 02:05 PM   #267
knox
invito al cielo

Not to each other it seems. Only to dog-fucking foreigners. How dare they?

Old 05.02.2011, 02:10 PM   #268
knox
invito al cielo

That was to suchfriends tho and I was very clear about the fact that I don't care it's not the point for me at all.
Besides, me and Glice are having PMS because our periods are synchronized.

Old 05.02.2011, 02:16 PM   #269
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

I mean, have you ever tried to fuck a dog? once they get an idea of what you're up to, they're rather hard to catch.
Old 05.02.2011, 02:21 PM   #270
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonso
Are you sure? I've been only saying that for 10 pages.

It is relevant perhaps, but not the point. Not for me.

Old 05.02.2011, 02:29 PM   #271
knox
invito al cielo

Not for me.

Old 05.03.2011, 04:38 PM   #272
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Our long national shame is over

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2011, 08:17 PM   #273
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Our long national shame is over

its ok though, my country has little to be proud of either

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2011, 08:26 PM   #274
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

we should all collectively slit our wrists.

let's kill ourselves.
Old 05.03.2011, 11:17 PM   #275
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
leeranaldo Lee Ranaldo
Crazy! Sonic youth invited t play royal wedding after-show party tonight in London!
29 Apr Favorite Retweet Reply
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2011, 09:48 AM   #276
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
sorry

me republican (not in the US sense)
with an aversion to monarchy

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2011, 12:01 PM   #277
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I think if you asked most British people they'd instinctively say they agreed with the principle of a republic but the Royal Family itself seems to stand outside of that for a lot of them. Even compared with most current or ex-monarchies, most of Britain's 'great' moments are ineluctably tied in to its Kings or Queens, especially Elizabeth I and Victoria (and the beheading of Charles I, obviously). So in the eyes of many I think the Royal Family is emblematic more of a once great nation than anything really to do with the idea of a monarch in general and what that means.

It's also the case that this specific Royal family gained a massive popularity within the nation's working class - especially in London - when the Queen Mother visited the victims of the Blitz in WWII. It's easy to trivialise those kinds of things but the affection does seems to run very deep as a result. Comedians often make jokes about the love London cab drivers have for the Queen mum.

I also think a great number of people from all political persuasions have a genuine respect for the Queen herself, not out of duty but because they recognise that she's a pretty awesome woman. For someone whose had to contend with the media, political opposition, the disolving of the empire, the Diana affair, it's hard to see where, in ther context of her position, she's ever put a foot wrong (Philip is another matter entirely, obviously). So besides anything else, she seems to provide a number of people with a sense of stability amidst so much change.

what I'm trying to say is that this current monarchy seems to occupy a different social place to previous ones, to the point that it appears to have transcended (at least in the minds of many British people) conventional ideas of a monarch. Personally I'd do away with them but I do understand and to a certain degree appreciate the depth of support they have.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2011, 12:04 PM   #278
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Hatred in the hearts of the young population
Riots in the streets of the "civilised" nation
Was it the poverty? Was it the police?
No - it's the British disease
The inbred snobbery
The patriot law
Violence and robbery
The state declares war

The youth of today with a broken voice
Have got something to say - they ain't got a choice
Racist police - backed by the state
Wipe out the ghetto and build up the hate
All the wrong answers
All the wrong ideas
The riot lasts a day
But the problem lasts for years

The great British public they can't understand
Why should there be riots in this civilised land?
Why is the country being pulled to its knees?
Ignorance is the British disease
Ignorance is your disease
Ignorance and apathy
Ignorance and bigotry
You found it all so easy to ignore the people who complained
and let their anger rise in flames
You thought this country was so great
that nobody could ever hate the way the system treated them
And then you wondered why they burnt your buildings down

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2011, 12:40 PM   #279
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think if you asked most British people they'd instinctively say they agreed with the principle of a republic but the Royal Family itself seems to stand outside of that for a lot of them. Even compared with most current or ex-monarchies, most of Britain's 'great' moments are ineluctably tied in to its Kings or Queens, especially Elizabeth I and Victoria (and the beheading of Charles I, obviously). So in the eyes of many I think the Royal Family is emblematic more of a once great nation than anything really to do with the idea of a monarch in general and what that means.

It's also the case that this specific Royal family gained a massive popularity within the nation's working class - especially in London - when the Queen Mother visited the victims of the Blitz in WWII. It's easy to trivialise those kinds of things but the affection does seems to run very deep as a result. Comedians often make jokes about the love London cab drivers have for the Queen mum.

I also think a great number of people from all political persuasions have a genuine respect for the Queen herself, not out of duty but because they recognise that she's a pretty awesome woman. For someone whose had to contend with the media, political opposition, the disolving of the empire, the Diana affair, it's hard to see where, in ther context of her position, she's ever put a foot wrong (Philip is another matter entirely, obviously). So besides anything else, she seems to provide a number of people with a sense of stability amidst so much change.

what I'm trying to say is that this current monarchy seems to occupy a different social place to previous ones, to the point that it appears to have transcended (at least in the minds of many British people) conventional ideas of a monarch. Personally I'd do away with them but I do understand and to a certain degree appreciate the depth of support they have.

that's a clear way to put it.
thanks for that.

Old 05.06.2011, 08:37 AM   #280
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

its ok though, my country has little to be proud of either

touche'

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
111213 14 15 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth