Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.04.2016, 09:59 AM   #3401
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I know, but for some reason now I'm listening to various selected Justin Bieber singles out of everything. Heh.

Whoa hey, what?!
I must have just flown right by this yesterday, because if I'd noticed I certainly would have taken a sec to give you shit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2016, 02:44 PM   #3402
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Haha!! LOL.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2016, 03:33 PM   #3403
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
You listening to Post Malone's track with the Beibers? That white boy finally coming out with a full LP
Old 11.05.2016, 02:30 PM   #3404
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Waiting for some real opinions on the Common album..
Old 11.05.2016, 04:10 PM   #3405
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Rae Sremurd - Black Beatles is my fave jam at the moment. I turn that shit up irritatingly loud in my car on the way home from work when I'm ridin' durty.... Either the Sremmurd or Mike Will have beenn sampling a lot of early Cure/Joy Division/Bauhaus type sounds... I dig.

https://youtu.be/gnVUR4ddPTk

FUCK I LOVE IT SO
It's #1 on iTunes right now. Crazy how long it took that song to catch up but now it's huge.
Old 11.05.2016, 11:01 PM   #3406
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
A Tribe Called Quest is on SNL next week !!!!!!!!!!
Old 11.05.2016, 11:47 PM   #3407
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I wrote this back in May on my stupid little jazz blog. It seems like it is really heavy now that a new Tribe album is dropping next week:

Quote:
This is a little bit late, but I've been shady at best when it comes to updating the blog here. So forgive me. But it would be wrong for me to not pay my respects to the late great Phife Dawg. To say that A Tribe Called Quest was important to me would be a vast understatement. I still vividly remember the day I heard Midnight Marauders for the first time. It was the Winter of 1993. A friend and I thought it would be a good idea to skateboard for some reason, although it was far too cold. I had mentioned that I loved this new single called "Award Tour" and it turned out this kid had the full cassette. He duped me a copy and I was on my way. Before the album was over, I was a fan. And that cassette would go on to live within my Walkman until I could afford to buy a CD copy of my own. By this point it was my new favorite album. Maybe my favorite album ever.

Over the new few months I became obsessed. I had to track down every Tribe album - including the rather uncommon remix collection that was never released in the States, Revised Quest For The Seasoned Traveler. But even that wasn't enough. I had to find every single I could that might contain some remix I hadn't heard. I had to buy every compilation out there that featured a new Tribe b-side. In many ways, Tribe was my first foray into what it really meant to be a rabid fan. To really care so much about music that you just wanted to hear it all.

And in fact, Tribe's music was also outward reaching. Being obsessive about them meant not just hearing everything that they made; it also meant hearing the music that inspired them. Just look at the cover of Midnight Marauders - it's a checklist of hip hop friends that they want you to check out. And while that one remains my favorite in their discography, it's another record that's more important to this site.

The Low End Theory was not the first hip hop album to sample jazz. Of course it wasn't. But it was certainly one of - if not the most important to really making that mainstream. And thus, combing through the credits of this one became my early syllabus for studying jazz. There's a reason why this record is so personally important to me that it would be responsible for the name of this site.

Phife Dawg was never really the star of the group. Q-Tip was generally the more outspoken one. And while Ali was certainly the "quiet one," he also had plenty of cred thanks to outside production work. But Phife brought a much-needed counterbalance to the crew. While Q-Tip had that sugary voice and dreamy flow, Phife was all bombast and punchlines. While I could try my best to put into words just how jazz-like these two personalities were when juxtaposed, nothing I could say could sum it up quite like listening to "Buggin' Out." Close your eyes and just think of their two voices as instruments trading solos. It's ethereal.

Though Phife wasn't exactly prolific in his output post-Tribe (having only released one solo album that flew under most radars), his loss' effect on hip hop is ineffable. At least in my eyes. What we've lost is hope.

Anybody who may have watched Michael Rappaport's documentary, Beats, Rhymes & Life which told the confusing and heartbreaking story of a group that seemed too volatile to exist, probably still held out hope anyway. Through all the murkiness of how and why they just couldn't hold it together, there seemed to be a genuine respect - and greater than that, a love - between these guys. Although the final Tribe studio album was released way back in 1998, it never actually felt like the end to me. I always believed (hoped) that one day I'd wake up and see a blog post somewhere about how SURPRISE! Tribe has secretly recorded a reunion album and it's out right now! But now that hope has died. In many ways that bit of hope has kept me perpetually thirteen years old all these years. A little piece of me was still that kid skateboarding in the cold.

But at least one good thing has come from Phife's untimely passing: the world has realized its loss. When I read the news it was via Pitchfork. And to be honest, I figured that this news would never reach mainstream press. Phife was certainly not a household name. Heck, even Tribe were probably unknown by name to most non hip hop aficionados. (I suspect that they were simply known as "those guys who did 'Scenario' on Arsenio" to many a casual admirer). But really it meant a lot to me to see Phife get the praise, respect and love that he deserved. Pitchfork went on to publish several articles in tribute, I even heard NPR discussing his passing, which felt good.

The truth is that as rambly as I make this post, it doesn't matter. I could go on and on trying my best to say everything that I can think of, but none of it will even be tip of the iceberg. All I can really do is say that Phife was part of something that had a profound effect on me that continues to this day. And all I can really say is Rest In Peace.
Old 11.06.2016, 11:35 AM   #3408
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
You guys I'm kinda nervous about the new Tribe.

I mean, this is a huge deal. NR, you obviously know what I mean. Sounds like we've been into Tribe for roughly the same amount of time 'cause we're old ass fucks. You vividly remember the golden days, better than I do (I couldn't tell you where I was when I first heard Minight Marauders). Aren't you just a tad worried?

From my experience, almost nobody has been able to soundly pull off a "return" or "reunion" album that matched up to their original shit. Portishead... maybe Mission of Burma... Jay Z. But most who've tried have ended up kinda fucking up their legacy. With Tribe you have the added significance of a founding member dying this year (RIP Phife). So this album can't be a "return" or a "reunion" ... they won't keep going without Phife.. It's gotta be their last statement, and it has a lot to live up to.

I'm pretty sure it will at least be good. But will it be ATCQ-canon worthy? Will it be "great?" I don't know. Would really bum me out to read "meh" reviews of this thing.
Old 11.06.2016, 12:09 PM   #3409
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I am actually not worried. I have faith in Tip not putting the Tribe name on something unworthy.
Old 11.06.2016, 12:57 PM   #3410
Severian
invito al cielo

The cover art is certainly badass.
Old 11.06.2016, 11:07 PM   #3411
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
new lord narf mixtape is killer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdC-eqeFQIc

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2016, 11:38 AM   #3412
Severian
invito al cielo

From Pitchfork's pretty-good review of Cozy Tapes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchfork
Though the highs of LONG.LIVE.A$AP are very high (“Goldie,” “Long Live A$AP,” “1Train”), the entire album is bogged down by an obsession with high-profile collaborators and manufactured swagger, like an oversized Rick Owens outfit. Rocky, for his part, never rapped about much more than material goods, but that aspiration felt important when he was doing so over beats that he could command and felt specific to him–not overpriced ones that would go to the highest bidder.

What the fuck?

The review of LONG.LIVE.A$AP says the following in its pull quote:

"A few months ago, A$AP Rocky's career seemed mired in purgatory as his major label debut continued to be pushed back. But LongLiveA$AP actually delivers on and even exceeds the promise of 2011's LiveLoveA$AP mixtape, preserving Rocky's immaculate taste while smartly upgrading his sound."

What a bunch of shit man. I know "Wild for the Night" sucks, but LONG.LIVE is one of the best hip-hop albums of the decade. The posse tracks are what really make it shine, along with the production. No offense to this new joint, but LongLive is WAY better.

Stupid ass pitchfork.
Old 11.09.2016, 12:33 PM   #3413
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
If there's one good thing to come out of this, it's that Martin Shkreli said he'd leak that wu tang album if Trump wins.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2016, 06:30 AM   #3414
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
If there's one good thing to come out of this, it's that Martin Shkreli said he'd leak that wu tang album if Trump wins.
And the new Tribe will be out tomorrow. Best thing about the Trump era is how many outstanding hip hop records we're going to get.
Old 11.10.2016, 09:10 AM   #3415
Severian
invito al cielo

Yeah, none of that matters a fucking bit actually.
Old 11.10.2016, 09:13 AM   #3416
Severian
invito al cielo

Sorry. I'm several stages of grief away from looking on the bright side of this apocalyptic fucking nightmare.

Thouhh I've taken solace in To Pimp a Butterfly, the new Common, and MBDTF ("Lost in the World/Who Will Survive in America?") over the past 36 godforsaken hours.
Old 11.10.2016, 02:48 PM   #3417
louder
invito al cielo

https://twitter.com/paulmccartney/st...23111710298112
Old 11.10.2016, 02:54 PM   #3418
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
God chose Trump right?
Old 11.10.2016, 04:41 PM   #3419
Severian
invito al cielo

I would love it if we could get to talking about some trivial shit. I need to take my mind off the suffocating reality of this situation.

I have fucking NOTHING to say about Kanye West or my favorite albums or how much I hate Drake. My head is a soup of post-traumatic political misery. I could really use my hip-hop café bros right about now.
Old 11.10.2016, 04:55 PM   #3420
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2016/11/p...uin-challenge/

Told you Black Beatles is the best song of 2016.
121161168169170 171 172173174181 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth