Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page How would you define a counterculture for the current period?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.01.2007, 09:34 AM   #21
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Well, according to another thread here, all the bands involved in the Stop the War CD (including SY) have been investigated.

I'm really into finding out more about RAFs involvement with music (didn't know about the Amon Duul thing)

In terms of film, I know Fassbinder had some sort of connection but anyone else?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 09:38 AM   #22
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i want to answer this with a little more time, but breakfast calls & i must heed its sweet caffeinated voice.

just to say a couple of things (actually, 3):

1) bohemia has been the place where the bourgeoisie dreams since at least the XIX century. they are inseparable.

2) the reason the "counterculture" was so strong in the 60's is not so much a product of earnest people as of huge shifts in the american economy. i'll ome back later to tofflerize & explain this.

3) the reason there is no real counterculture to speak of these days is really because we are becoming settled in this new economy & there is no other in the horizon like it was in days of yore. but again im hungry & my stomach takes priority over the internet. have a nice morning!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 09:55 AM   #23
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
the link between economics and the counterculture is definitely true. But punk came out in the middle of a recession, so i'm not sure if it has to be the case.
Old 04.01.2007, 09:56 AM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Have you all been reading fucking Adorno? Have a wank, smell some flowers, read a book, do all three whilst wanking. Honestly, you'll feel all the better for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 09:57 AM   #25
sarramkrop

I'd be a good link for misfits all of them like me.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 12:10 PM   #26
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
valid points all

i'm at a loss

except to feebly

write

"Outsider Art"

but as so many have already pointed out

if it has a label

then it already is invalid

'once the music leaves yr head it's already compromised'

punk

rock

if I should go outside the wolves would come to eat out of my hand just as my room would seem to be outside of me my other earnings would go off around the world smashed into smithereens but what is there to do today some tears are laughing without telling tales again except around the picture frame the news arrived that this time we would only see the spring at night and that a spider crawls across the paper where I’m writing that the gift is here the others putting ties on for the holidays that we’ve already had it for the nonce and that it’s just the start this time around if they don’t want a centipede then it’s the horse and bull that sticks it into him so that the lights will come on afterwards and in the papers everyday misleading pictures of the families who beat their kids so that they can be copied by the likes of me who paint and sing again because the blackbirds at this time of year have always been like that they straighten themselves out if they can manage one more time and so the world goes on and if it wasn’t for their own self interest none of them would leave his house without first taking it apart as well they can and this time it’s my turn that makes it worthwhile clobbering this worthwhile man who doesn’t strut his stuff day after day and if he hits the jackpot this time it’s not his to win but goes to those dumb boobs ahead of him and one more time he’ll end up in the small boat like you know and see ya later cuz today’s a holiday and they’ve cut out like they were looking one more time to yank the stick back from the man who made it so the chestnuts would be roasted and if not for that to pull them out again the partridges would all return on their own steam because it’s all a mess already and if not just have them say how many times what’s true has been a lie and if it’s still not they should count from one to two and three to seven the result would always come out wrong albeit of pure gold and if it doesn’t pass this time around he simply swallows which is good stuff for the navel as it always has been in his house and in his neighbor’s who is there inside and afterwards they’re fried up and we have to take the plunge so that we may be always friends like always and that once for always not just for today to make your mind up just a little if they ask and let them pick the thread up seeing afterwards the fans they’re holding fade away - Pablo Picasso excerpt from The Burial of the Count of Orgaz,
& Other Poems, 1935.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 12:12 PM   #27
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
People who use drugs.
Old 04.01.2007, 03:13 PM   #28
demonrail666
invito al cielo

The greatest testament to how bland things are these days is that a prick like Michael Moore is somehow thought of as significant.
Old 04.01.2007, 03:19 PM   #29
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Counterculturalism really has no effect on society I believe. If anything, what they're doing is more benefiting society than revolutionizing it.

it it isn't revolutionary then it isn't truely counter culture. the real question is in which direction is the revolution going?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 03:20 PM   #30
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The greatest testament to how bland things are these days is that a prick like Michael Moore is somehow thought of as significant.

He is not significant, he is just an ordinary person pointing out what is happening to ordinary people.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 03:20 PM   #31
sarramkrop

Die. You're an idiot.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 03:22 PM   #32
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
who me?
Old 04.01.2007, 03:25 PM   #33
sarramkrop

No, i likes you, you may live.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 03:27 PM   #34
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
2) the reason the "counterculture" was so strong in the 60's is not so much a product of earnest people as of huge shifts in the american economy. i'll ome back later to tofflerize & explain this.

Don't discount the default advantage the boomer-generation's counterculture had simply due to the ginormous size of their demographic.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 08:49 PM   #35
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Don't discount the default advantage the boomer-generation's counterculture had simply due to the ginormous size of their demographic.

you're right, but it's not just a matter of numbers-- it's that all those people had a different idea of the future. all throughout human history we've always had more young people than old people. geometric growth. steady-growth populations are a recent phenomenon.

during the 60's developed countries were effectively moving from industrial to post-industrial societies--a service economy, the information age, etc. etc. the factory age was over and these convulsions ended around maybe the reagan era? funny how we take the internet for granted. it cracks me up for example when i read "neuromancer" that william gibson had figured out cyberspace but not cellphones. what's my point here...? oh yes-- technology is no longer mass-produced for mass-consumption but mass-customized-- everyone can be a "nonconformist" by, say, buying apple, ha ha, or limited-issue vinyl records.

the transition to post-capitalism and post-industrial almost over, so societies are as not torn as in the 60's. you still see a bit of that struggle between red & blue states, because their different economies. just like the civil war was a struggle between agricultural & industrial modes of production. this is transition is certainly not over but the blues are going to win because you can't ever go back to "the good old days" whatever the fuck that was.

about the amish, someone asked-- they remain using outmoded means of production due to religious reasons. horse buggies, etc. they do trade w/ the economy in general but as insular cultural & economic entities.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 09:23 PM   #36
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

When I was a kid I wanted to become an Amish.
Old 04.02.2007, 03:46 AM   #37
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Another issue is the university system. Students in the 60s had to deal with extremely conservative institutions that were standing against broader tides of change. Universities are now largely staffed by the very generation of rebels that brought about its transformation. As a result, students have less of a clear target to kick against.
Old 04.02.2007, 08:24 AM   #38
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
He is not significant, he is just an ordinary person pointing out what is happening to ordinary people.

And you would know ordinary, right?
Old 04.02.2007, 08:24 AM   #39
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
When I was a kid I wanted to become an Amish.

Follow your dreams.
Old 04.02.2007, 08:30 AM   #40
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
People who use drugs.
Drugs are a pretty mainstream lifestyle. It's probably more countercultural to refuse them.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth