Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Best Goth Band
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: We all like a goth band. Which do you prefer?
Fields of the Nephilim 1 1.37%
The Sisters of Mercy 4 5.48%
Bauhaus 15 20.55%
The Mission 0 0%
Siouxsie and the Banshees 4 5.48%
The Cure 26 35.62%
Gene Loves Jezebel 0 0%
Rosetta Stone 0 0%
Ha ha, fool, you forgot about... 8 10.96%
I don't like ANY goth music. So there! 15 20.55%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03.21.2006, 05:27 PM   #21
ohthehorror
empty page

ohthehorror has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I vote Bauhaus.

Christian Death is more like comedy goth IMO. They are to goth what the Germs were to punk.

If you are going to list Siouxsie and Cure as goth, Joy Division should probably be up there too. Birthday Party and early bad seeds were fricking good too, but whether or not they were actually gothic is up in the air.

Christian Death without Rozz is a joke, but their first three records are classics.
Old 03.21.2006, 06:00 PM   #22
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Voted!......the poll function is pretty sweet.
Old 03.21.2006, 07:07 PM   #23
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Well, I'm not saying that they are bad, I'm just saying their lyrics and presentation make me smile.

I'm mostly familiar with their first album. Songs like Romeo's Distress and Spiritual Cramp are awesome. I like the Germs too, but I can't really take either band too seriously, same with Misfits.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 07:25 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I always think the Birthday Party should be thrown in with Goths, as should Joy Division.

I voted for Bauhaus nonetheless.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 12:17 AM   #25
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I chose the Cure becuz I love them, though I also like Bauhaus, Sisters Of Mercy, and some of the others...

Ha, no one voted for Gene Loves Jezebel...
GeneticKiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 12:20 AM   #26
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
I picked The Cure.
Old 03.22.2006, 12:30 AM   #27
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I guess the Cure are goth-y in places, but they've went through a few different styles. They were my pick though. I love the Cure.
Bauhaus would be my second pick.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 01:27 AM   #28
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
For those of you who have never listened to Bauhaus, check out the songs "Bela Legosi's Dead", "King Volcano", "Dark Entries" and "Stigmata Martyr".
As far as albums "In the Flat Field" is great.

They also did some really awesome covers- like John Cale's "Rosegarden Funeral of Sores" and T. Rex's "Telegram Sam"

After you check out all those, listen to the tracks "Crowds", "She's in Parties", and "Spirit" for the more pop oriented side of Bauhaus.

Oh, plus the guitarist made a side project called Tones on Tail. "Christian Says", "Lions" and "Twist" are really cool, I like "Twist" because it is very heavily instrumental song that is not to heavy, almost having a surf quality. "Go" is a dance standard.

As far as what gothic rock was (IMO):

Major influences of gothic rock: Iggy Pop (The Idiot), David Bowie (Diamond Dogs, Ziggy Stardust), John Cale (Vintage Violence), Joy Division (Unknown Pleasures), T. Rex, and of course, punk.

Other music influenced gothic, such as baroque, renaissance, and medieval music. This is very evident in Bauhaus's "King Volcano" which is almost a chant.

Imagery in gothic music is very similar to imagery in dark romantic/gothic literature of the second half of the 19th century. Christian imagery (specifically catholic), classical imagery, as well as just plain horrific imagery are popular. Gothic rock is usually very serious and dramatic music. Some bands too serious for their own good, and others too dramatic for their own good.

Suggested listening:
Bauhaus- In the Flat Field
Bauhaus- Mask
Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures
Birthday Party- Prayers on Fire
Tones on Tail- Pop
And pretty much 90% of the albums put out by beggar's banquet records (not all are gothic rock, but a good portion are)
Old 03.22.2006, 01:28 AM   #29
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

BTW, anyone find it funny that gothic rock was one of the main influences to shoegaze? Considering how goth is cold and dark, and shoegaze is warm and fuzzy.
Old 03.22.2006, 01:29 AM   #30
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
I'm a big fan of Siouxsie and the Banshees so I'd go with them. The Cure and Bauhaus would be after.
Old 03.22.2006, 01:36 AM   #31
Flen flyys
little trouble girl

Flen flyys has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Ha ha, fool, you forgot about...

Dead Can Dance.

I Don't really consider them "goth" myself, but since everybody calls them that, I may as well pick them because I like them better than any of the bands on that list. Picking from the list though, I'd choose Siouxsie and the Banshees.
Old 03.22.2006, 02:25 AM   #33
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Good call on Siouxsie....I might have picked them over Bauhaus....maybe, it's close.
Old 03.22.2006, 03:30 AM   #34
Angel Dust
little trouble girl

Angel Dust has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Anyone catch The Sisters of Mercy on their recent tour? I just saw them on Sunday, while i love their albums, they totally blew it at the concert, it sounded totally fucked up.

The Warlocks opened, they were awesome!
Old 03.22.2006, 08:52 AM   #35
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Gothic vs Deathrock?

Sex Gang Children?
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 08:54 AM   #36
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Crazy that Patricia Morrison was in the LA punk band BAGS. Never could get into Sisters of Mercy.

Didn't she play bass for the Damned recently?
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 08:59 AM   #37
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris(original)
Crazy that Patricia Morrison was in the LA punk band BAGS. Never could get into Sisters of Mercy.

I like 2nd and 3rd gen. Sisters, especially 2nd.

Not as good as Fields of the Nephilim though

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 09:33 AM   #38
Signpost
stalker

Signpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
some people also call swans goth

Probably because albums such as Holy Money or Children Of God sound very goth-like.
Old 03.22.2006, 10:09 PM   #39
Angel Dust
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris(original)

Wow... I didn't know that bit. I figured she was a UK native, cool though.

The Warlocks' bass player had a striking resemblance of Patricia Morrison, they both kind of look alike and play bass. Both are hot too... they have that Elvira vibe to them.
Old 03.22.2006, 10:13 PM   #40
Angel Dust
little trouble girl

BTW Bauhaus at The Wiltern this year was one of the best shows I have seen in a long time. They sounded very solid, lighting was great, sound was flawless, and they had great energy.

They are touring with NIN soon, I might have to go to that just so I can see them again.

I met David J briefly at Coachella, he was very friendly. He clued me in on their subsequent tour following Coachella, so I wasn't too disappointed when I missed them there.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth