Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Blade Runner - The Final Cut?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.22.2008, 11:51 AM   #21
al shabbray

the first alien is by far the best one.
and yes, blade runner is blade runner (thanks to this thread I borrowed it today)
gladiator: never seen it, dont like the genre at all
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 11:53 AM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I liked aliens better than alien.

I hated gladiator, thought it was a waste of time. What else has he done? Um..

G.I. Jane sucks. Hannibal sucks. Black Hawk Down sucks.

Oh, he did Matchstick Men? That movie's amazing! Ridley Scott rules now!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 12:27 PM   #23
al shabbray

matchstckman? never heard of it
yeah I liked aliens too. pretty good action/shock flick. but the horror is better in alien I think, because of the lack of money and light
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 12:36 PM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I can see that. That's part of the reason I like Terminator better than T2, even though T2 is technically a better film.. I love the atmosphere, the darkness, etc... sorry, off topic.

But yeah Matchstick Men is great, worth watching if you see it on tv..

Old 10.22.2008, 12:38 PM   #25
al shabbray

between T1 and T2 I am always struggling, I prefer T2 just because Of child/teen nostalgia I think. but you are right, the atmosphere is by far the best in T1.
atmosphere > technique everytime, no matter if movies, music or paintings.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 12:43 PM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Agreed.

Old 10.22.2008, 03:20 PM   #27
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, first alien is the best. I didn't like the other ones.
you must see Gladiator, Al.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 03:59 PM   #28
al shabbray

I think that movie is a well done one. but if there are existing genres I skip then its fantasy and Monumental fliks. and I think gladiator counts as the second
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 02:54 AM   #29
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
^^^
how much is that?

btw I still got the original edit (that which was screened on tv) on vhs and that tape is about to die. I want to buy something which covers everything, cause I think that movie is worth it, which damn release is the best buy?

btw did anyone playe the PC game? its unbelieveably good, one of the best games Ive played, it captures the atmosphere perfectly!
The 5 disc set:
US 1982 print
International 1982 print
1992 directors cut
the new Final Cut
the original Workprint
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/802838
Old 10.23.2008, 04:30 PM   #30
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Blade Runner the Final Cut was a completely unnecissary thing. There are 4 different versions already for god's sake. I love this movie, I always will, but the Final Cut is just the directors cut with 10 seconds of recently reshot footage of some gogo dancers wearing Jason masks. So pointless
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 04:33 PM   #31
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
the first alien is by far the best one.

Wow, best movie related comment I've ever heard on here. That is extremely correct. It IS the best one by FAR. You're the first person I've ever heard say that though. Everyone I've ever known says the 2nd is the best. The 2nd was a corny ass action movie with a few cool parts and some AWFUL acting.
Old 10.23.2008, 04:42 PM   #32
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i bought it, and am impressed by it. it looks and sounds tons better. i bought the limited delux edition that come sin the brief case, really enjoyed making comparisons from version to version (the final cut is indeed my fav.). also really enjoyed the dangerous days documentary as well.

im pretty much a fanatic. blade runner may be my fav. peice of entertainment ever (right after sonic youth). its certainly the prettiest thing ive ever seen on a screen. i estimate over the last 6 years ive watched it some 80 something times. i used to love putting it on when i got off work and just zoning out in it. its sort of like a drug, really.

i love ridley scott, period. alien is fucking amazing. the detail he puts into shit is beyond all things amazing. yep. swa(y) likes blade runner.

cant agree with you more about blade runner. I often put my old vhs copy on while doing something else, cause I already can synchronize everybody in that film it doesnt matter if I miss something out of it. like listening to music while washing the dishes or something. (even the soundtrack is fucking great)
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 04:44 PM   #33
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
Wow, best movie related comment I've ever heard on here. That is extremely correct. It IS the best one by FAR. You're the first person I've ever heard say that though. Everyone I've ever known says the 2nd is the best. The 2nd was a corny ass action movie with a few cool parts and some AWFUL acting.

I like the second one too. its a good action movie not more or less with a lot of aliens innit which are valueable for the shock and more for the grossness. but thanks for liking my taste
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 06:23 PM   #34
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I saw the re-release of this last year on the big screen in Philly (in a 35mm print as opposed to the 4K digital projection).

Loved it... and the Final Cut is totally worth it AND the ultimate version of the film, imo. The digital tweaks done on this Final Cut are practically unnoticeable and blend wonderfully with the original footage... as opposed to the Star Wars franchise, where the Special Editions are overblown messes.

Also, eyeballgrowth, that "gogo" dancer footage is from the original material shot in '82. I don't know what gave you the idea that they filmed that snippet specifically for the new release. Why would they bother filming something so random and trivial 20+ years later?
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 06:43 PM   #35
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Whatever aesthetical reason you appreciate Alien more than Aliens, Aliens was a more entertaining movie. So, that's how I look at it.

Honestly, the 3rd one was probably the most entertaining -- it was just stupid. Let's not talk about anything after 3 though...

Old 10.23.2008, 07:18 PM   #36
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Love Blade Runner. It's really one of my favorite movies of all time. I bought the Final Cut set just because it's Scott's 'definitive version' of the film. Plus it has tons of extras, and I love that shit.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 07:28 PM   #37
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Gladiator is one of the corniest films ever made, i don't know how anyone can like that shit.

and for whoever said there's nothing in the film to suggest deckard is an android.... the dream sequence with the horse is what shows he is not a human.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 07:42 PM   #38
Kallisti23chaos
children of satan

Kallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's asses
blade runner was overrated i thought
Old 10.23.2008, 08:05 PM   #39
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yeah
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 09:15 PM   #40
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Gladiator is one of the corniest films ever made, i don't know how anyone can like that shit.

and for whoever said there's nothing in the film to suggest deckard is an android.... the dream sequence with the horse is what shows he is not a human.

For one, Gladiator is corny yes but it's entertaining and cool to watch, especially if your just zoning out or something. But yeah it wasn't that great.

Also, that whole Deckard is a Replicant thing is just a bogus ploy that Ridley Scott invented to reinstate people's interest in the movie when he put out the Director's Cut. There are interviews with him from the late 80's where people mention that there was speculation that Deckard's character was a replicant and he says it is absolute bullshit, Deckard is human. And then when he's asked now he's like: " Yep he is, the origami unicorn means Gaff knew about his programmed dream sequence. " That's not true Unless he's saying " That's what I changed it to in this new version "

His dream sequence wasn't in the first version of the film, but the paper unicorn was. The live action unicorn footage was left over from Legend, one of the worst movies of all time. It wasn't in storyboards from the original, it was never planned for the original until the directors cut was being made. Ridley Scott put in the extra footage from legend to create a new view to the story , alternate from his original version. Whether you like it or not, that's a different thing. But it was an addition for the directors cut

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth