Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page there is no god
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.04.2007, 05:36 PM   #21
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
It is bizarre. Quite apart from anything else, the teachings of Jesus all very expressly forbid becoming one of the people that the threadstarter is railing against. There are a lot of 'Christians' who don't exactly help matters of course, but I can't see how blanket stereotyping will help.

Thanks to people for the kind words.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 05:45 PM   #22
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
That's fair enough. There are of course two types of Christian - those who have 'faith' that there's a god and that Jesus is the messiah, and those who have (or 'claim to have', if you're somewhat secular) personally encountered God. For the latter, God is as real as a great piece of cheese, and even more wonderful.

Old 06.04.2007, 05:52 PM   #23
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
first off i didnt mean to be a bully or a bigot i was just a little excited. what i meant to say is theres a lot of holes in relgion. and religion is the reason for a lot of bad shit i.e. sept 11, holocaust, crusades in the middle ages hate crimes. my other piont is that there is very little legitmate truth to there being a savior and if there was why would he let all this happen to the human race. I have a question for all the religios people if there wasn't the fear of hell and the promises of heaven would you care even half as much about god as you do now.
Old 06.04.2007, 05:52 PM   #24
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
satan is boring, or so they said.
Old 06.04.2007, 05:58 PM   #25
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I had a Catholic upbringing, and that taught me most of the moral standpoints i hold dear nowadays, so im supporttive of a religion based schooling system, but the problem i had was encountering the hypocrisy of the students around me. So it was odd because i never rebelled against my parents or anything, my teen rebellion phase was against my peers in the main. Because they were the hypocrites going to church every week yet being dickheads Monday to Saturday.
I think i just like the idea of a bit of free choice from these moral boundaries cos if theyd have rebelled against the religious morals of our school overtly rather than just in their interpersonal relationships id have understood where they were coming from more. So yeah thats my poorly constructed story of religious schooling
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 05:58 PM   #26
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
If there wasn't the fear of hell and the promises of heaven would you honestly care even half as much about god as you do now?
Old 06.04.2007, 06:00 PM   #27
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
satan is boring, or so they said.

...We shake our heads as your tables turn
They'll always turn - and you"ll never burn
That's the real promise : you'll never burn
You get the lies we get the fire

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 06:00 PM   #28
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellouteater
If there wasn't the fear of hell and the promises of heaven would you honestly care even half as much about god as you do now?

Believing in God is a prerequisite of believing in Heaven and Hell
Old 06.04.2007, 06:02 PM   #29
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

still would you even care about god or this topic if relgion didnt promise such dramtic conquences
Old 06.04.2007, 06:03 PM   #30
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The leader of the churches are notorois for currption, rascism, and child molstation what does that tell you. religion scares people into thinking they a love a liar ego freak named jesus christ. PLEASE WAKE UP.

Cool. One of my friends stopped killing himself because of god. Look, everything that happens in this world can kill or save people whether their intentions are good or bad. Should you boycott using gas and oil because people died in the process of obtaining it?
Old 06.04.2007, 06:09 PM   #31
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
still would you even care about god or this topic if relgion didnt promise such dramtic conquences

religion is an integral part of human existence. Its a formative part of my life. It affects everything that goes on in the world. The consequences are just that, consequences. The symptoms.
Wait... i think youre trying to recruit people on here to some cult movement.
Old 06.04.2007, 06:12 PM   #32
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

response to inhuman. the theory of god inspired people to turn around there life and help others and even save lifes. BUT compared to what it has done to the human race as a whole disturbing. God inspired 3 men to crash into a building in new york and kill thousands of people. God inspired a man named hitler to kill hundred of thusands of jews. God inspired millions of "honerable" deaths in wars since the begining of man. In fact god himself drown almost the whole human race and now we sing a little happy song about it. "who built the ark noah noah who built the ark brother noah built the ark."
Old 06.04.2007, 06:16 PM   #33
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

same God? He's got some voices going on...
Old 06.04.2007, 06:17 PM   #34
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
first off i didnt mean to be a bully or a bigot i was just a little excited. what i meant to say is theres a lot of holes in relgion. and religion is the reason for a lot of bad shit i.e. sept 11, holocaust, crusades in the middle ages hate crimes.

Religion is not the cause of 'bad shit'. People are the cause of bad shit. If religious leaders and institutuions have started wars, covered up child abuse, encouraged hatred, helped the Nazis or done anything else of that nature then they have not, under any circumstances, done it with the blessing of Jesus, nor have they done it in accordance with any of His teachings. 'Religious leaders' is not the same as 'religion'.

The teachings of Jesus do not allow for any of the things you described.

Quote:
my other point is that there is very little legitmate truth to there being a savior and if there was why would he let all this happen to the human race.

In the case of abuses by humans, it's because God gave us free will. Humans abuse that free will all the time, following their own greed.

In the case of natural disasters and the like, I can't offer an explanation, because although I'm friends with God, I do not pretend to have total comprehension of Him. I will say that I don't believe it to be God punishing the unjust.

Most Christians do not take the book of Genesis literally.

Quote:
I have a question for all the religios people if there wasn't the fear of hell and the promises of heaven would you care even half as much about god as you do now.

Try to see it from the point of view that many Christians have; forget about faith or hope or whatever for a moment and consider that we have personally encountered (or, if you prefer, we believe we have personally encountered) Jesus. So His words are simply fact to us, and at the most basic level that is all there is to it. There really isn't fear, because Jesus teaches love and fellowship along with inner peace and strength, not fear.

I strive to live by Jesus' teachings because they are perfect and true. I know that to some of you very fine people that makes me a complete fruitcake, but I love you anyway.

Old 06.04.2007, 06:18 PM   #35
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Verily I say unto thee that it has been written
(many times before, by me haha)
that all religions promptly turn increasingly dogmatic and unreasonable after the prophet dies and leaves a power vaccuum in the wake of their passing.

Now, to "blame God" for any of this is a sign of a very weak character and an immature victim's mentality. Besides, "God" isn't a personage to blame. How can one blame gravitational and electromagnetic forces for anything?

Go ahead and critique religion all you want. But, like religion itself does most of the time, please just leave God out of it. The world needs to certainly be more aware concerning academic research about the abuses of religious power and influence. Please be aware though that when you attack religion categorically, you, in many cases, are waging war on your own psyche by rejecting the value of religious wisdom. Bill Maher is doing a new documentary movie to attack religion and belief in God; he's a little full of himself in this regard. And, just a helpful hint: It would also help if you don't come across as a total burn-out.

It is clearly (for people with any level of real reading comprehension, I suppose) outlined in just about all religious, philosophical, artistic and psychological thought since the beginning of recorded history that one must take real responsibility for one's actions and behaviors and that the primary stumbling block to which each of us owe our lowly creatureliness is an unwavering, dogged faith in our own ego and our categorical psychological denial of our own eventual personal death.

Simply summed up, the woeful state of the world is tantamount to each of our individual failings to face our fears and the consequent false divisions and separations this creates; this is the meaning of Satan.

"Facing one's fears" is not as easy as (& probaby not even what) you think it is. First off, if you cannot meditate, then you haven't faced diddly squat. Please, spare me any lame rebuttals. Genuine prolonged physical and mental suffering is the only way to even make our stubborn minds even remotely receptive to the idea of even beginning to examine our deepest fears, and the actual state of our pathetic and perpetual possibility-rejecting lives of error.

All this being stated though, it is usually necessary for one to completely doubt the existence of God before one ever truly believes and this is part of the hypocrisy among religious believers that are essentially culturally herded via fearmongering into one form of institutional dogmatic religious thought or another. As Socrates reminds, "all philosophy begins with doubt."

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 06:19 PM   #36
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
response to inhuman. the theory of god inspired people to turn around there life and help others and even save lifes. BUT compared to what it has done to the human race as a whole disturbing. God inspired 3 men to crash into a building in new york and kill thousands of people. God inspired a man named hitler to kill hundred of thusands of jews. God inspired millions of "honerable" deaths in wars since the begining of man. In fact god himself drown almost the whole human race and now we sing a little happy song about it. "who built the ark noah noah who built the ark brother noah built the ark."

I can see the point you are trying to make here; perhaps the idea of God did inspire those men to commit their villainous acts- however, their idea of God above must have been awfully wrong for them to think that what they were doing was holy.

9/11's terrorists were hyped up beyond belief by fanatic clerics, who taught them religion that was completely opposite to the ideals of Islam.

Hitler and his men, I highly doubt were inspired by God. Hitler wanted the world for the aryan race, and that was simple. I won't go so far as to say the jewish people were merely a 'scapegoat' for Nazi Germany's problems, but that is a contributing factor. Hitler, in a most devilish way, brainwashed his constituency into hating an entirely harmless group of people, inciting violence by starting it all himself- 'the night of broken glass'. This had nothing to do with God.

I would also like to apologize for neg repping you. I didn't really think it would shove you down into the red like that. Your first post just really offended me, I'm sorry. I'll pro rep you when I get the chance.

EDIT: actually, nevermind. If you're going to say christianity is 'wrong' then I'm once again driven to the height of annoyance.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 06:19 PM   #37
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
religion is an integral part of human existence. Its a formative part of my life. It affects everything that goes on in the world. The consequences are just that, consequences. The symptoms.
Wait... i think youre trying to recruit people on here to some cult movement.

Hmm lets look at what a cult is
defintion of cult
1. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
2. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
3. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.

sounds preety familar doesnt it
all a cult is a relgion
Branch Davidians Al-Qaeda Christianity
all are cults and all can be very dangerous and in my opinon wrong
Old 06.04.2007, 06:19 PM   #38
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Religion is not the cause of 'bad shit'. People are the cause of bad shit. If religious leaders and institutuions have started wars, covered up child abuse, encouraged hatred, helped the Nazis or done anything else of that nature then they have not, under any circumstances, done it with the blessing of Jesus, nor have they done it in accordance with any of His teachings. 'Religious leaders' is not the same as 'religion'.

The teachings of Jesus do not allow for any of the things you described.

In the case of abuses by humans, it's because God gave us free will. Humans abuse that free will all the time, following their own greed.

In the case of natural disasters and the like, I can't offer an explanation, although I don't believe it's God punishing the unjust.

Most Christians do not take the book of Genesis literally.

Try to see it from the point of view that many Christians have; forget about faith or hope or whatever for a moment and consider that we have personally encountered (or, if you prefer, we believe we have personally encountered) Jesus. So His words are simply fact, and at the most basic level that is all there is to it. There really isn't fear, because Jesus teaches love and fellowship, and inner peace, not fear.

I strive to live by Jesus' teachings because they are perfect and true. I know that to some of you very fine people that makes me a complete fruitcake, but I love you anyway.

Theres a radio show here called Fighting Talk.
Whenever someone says something that is so completely true is requires no further comment, the presenter pushes a button that makes a choral "Hallelujah" sound

This post is a "Hallelujah" post.
Old 06.04.2007, 06:21 PM   #39
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Hmm lets look at what a cult is
defintion of cult
1. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
2. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
3. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.

sounds preety familar doesnt it
all a cult is a relgion
Branch Davidians Al-Qaeda Christianity
all are cults and all can be very dangerous and in my opinon wrong

Ok, Porkmarras is an advocate of Swine supremecy then
ALL HAIL THE SWINE! ITS LIKE ANIMAL FARM!

edit: You are a bellend; Shit Off
Old 06.04.2007, 06:22 PM   #40
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I know Fighting Talk very well. Fine programme.

Thank you.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth