Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Who loves Ghost World?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.22.2006, 12:37 AM   #21
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I always end up liking the Enid types, but I'd like to go out with a Rebecca sometime.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 01:02 AM   #22
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
Ghost World is one of my favourite movies. The graphic novel is great too.
Old 05.22.2006, 02:36 AM   #23
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Who loves "Ghost World"? I love "Ghost World". One of my absolute favorite movies. I saw it in theatres by myself, and simply fell in love with its humor. Everyone in the film is played to perfection, especially Thora Birch's Enid, (totally made me crush on Thora), and Steve Bushcemi's Seymor. Its a beautiful film. Just like Enid I fell in love with "Devil Got My Woman" and bought a Skip James album simply from that movie. I watch "Ghost World" every few months it seems. I memorize lines from the film and they still make me crack up when I hear them like it was the first time. The film is brilliant.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 03:42 AM   #24
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i really didnt think i would like this movie at all but i really enjoyed it. i laugh when i think of the that blues band blueshammer is it?
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 03:49 AM   #25
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
i do i do,clowes is a genius and the movie is good too!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 04:04 AM   #26
Dues
little trouble girl

Dues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to all
Ghost World to me is so fin de siècle 20st century; time frame on a freeze. Book or comic, both outstanding, but I never come to read or watch them again for more than mere referential needs. It's not that I dislike them now, but they just can't bring back that feeling I had when I read or watched them for the first time.

1. Unlike other Clowes action… Every three years or so I come to read David Boring again and every time it takes me to places emotionally I'd forgotten about. Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron is a masterpiece: visually and storylinewise.
2. Unlike other Zwigoff action… The documentary on Crumb is beautiful, as are the man himself and his women. Knocking me off with those American thighs.

The true test, after all, is to be like everyone else. Once that happens, he no longer has to question his singularity. He is free—not only of others, but of himself.

Dues is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 04:36 AM   #27
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i fucking hated the movie, probly because i have been such a huge daniel clowes (and adrian tomine) fan for such a long time. their comics are fucking great, and the movie just didn't live up to that, it also made Enid kinda out to be this irretating whore, which she definately was not!

the sonic youth quote is on the first page, it says

enid - why do you have this? (holds up sassy magazine)
Rebecca - what?
Enid - i hate this fucking magazine!, these stupid girls think they're so hip, but they're just a bunch of trendy stuck-up prep-school bitches who think they're "cutting edge" because they know who "sonic youth" is!

after reading that on the first page i knew i'd love the rest of it. and i did.
also check out Adrian Tomine, Daniel Clowes'es stuff can get a bit drugged out like he wrote it whilst on acid, Adrian Tomine's stuff is alot more realistic and true to life.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 05:52 AM   #28
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
There is a feeling of time being encapsulated in a moment. I get that feeling from Lost In Translation too... Scarlett Johansson's in that one too, as well as this one... I can't explain why, when Enid leaves town on the bus; the world just stops turning, everything else is lost in the blur and the rush, and I am there alone, and my heart aches and all life and creation is infused with a sorrow unnameable... 'All that great heart lying still' or something like that... Lost In Translation had that same effect on me... Except that I burst into fucking tears...
Old 05.22.2006, 10:19 AM   #29
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses

Was he on acid when he wrote this? I've never read anything more fucked up than it.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 10:21 AM   #30
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Man, that looks so yummy...
Old 05.22.2006, 11:28 AM   #31
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
so am i the only person who hates that stupid, boring movie?

i guess i don't fit in the stereotype you guys fall in.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 11:33 AM   #32
Unmade Bed
children of satan

Unmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
so am i the only person who hates that stupid, boring movie?

i guess i don't fit in the stereotype you guys fall in.

I guess the thread says Who "Loves" Ghost world, and not who "hates"

Unmade Bed is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 11:36 AM   #33
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmade Bed
I guess the thread says Who "Loves" Ghost world, and not who "hates"

good point
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 01:10 PM   #34
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
i really didnt think i would like this movie at all but i really enjoyed it. i laugh when i think of the that blues band blueshammer is it?

Two of my friends and I went to a concert on Friday, and the early show was supposed to have been over by the time we got there, but the last band was still playing. They were terrible, to say the least, and every other song was some classic blues tune morphed into a kind of Lynyrd Skynyrd-meets-Colgate Extra Whitening toothpaste sort of thing. We seemed to be the only people in the room who knew this was the most ridiculous band on the planet. After the set was over, one of my friends yelled "BLUESHAMMER!!!" and I totally lost it.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 04:36 PM   #35
umjammer atomsk
the end of the ugly

umjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's asses
I liked the movie a lot and i knew it was based on some comics, but i haven't read them yet. This Clowes character sounds damn interesting though. Next time i visit a comic shop i'm picking some of his stuff up.

umjammer atomsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 06:31 PM   #36
Cotton Crown
empty page

Cotton Crown has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I haven't seen the woody allen movie with miss scarlett in it yet. Is that any good?
Cotton Crown is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 08:28 PM   #37
Dues
little trouble girl

Dues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to all
Damn straight it is [Match Point].
Another one in the pipes as well [Scoop].

The true test, after all, is to be like everyone else. Once that happens, he no longer has to question his singularity. He is free—not only of others, but of himself.

Old 05.22.2006, 08:35 PM   #38
umjammer atomsk
the end of the ugly

umjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, yeah! I heard about Match Point awhile ago but I totally forgot about it. I remember reading that it's like a romantic comedy of sorts, right? Damn I've gotta see that; I'm a pretty big fan of Woody Allen.

umjammer atomsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 08:53 PM   #39
Dues
little trouble girl

Meh, "romantic comedy", very arguable, whatever; it's simply ace!
Love the balls on Woody Allen. It's hot.

Old 05.23.2006, 07:16 AM   #40
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead

Was he on acid when he wrote this? I've never read anything more fucked up than it.

oh fuck yeah, i havent read my copy of that in a while but its really fucked up, isnt there a girl in it called Tina whos made of potatoe?, and they shave that dog without the head and find that map. ha ha ha. he was definately on something!
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth