Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Reckless Records (London) closing
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.14.2007, 09:49 AM   #21
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
WE have a simular problem in Cardiff, but ours is even more dire. Spillers Records (The Oldest Record shop in the world) is having to close because they are building a big new shopping development next door and putting the rent sky high. Its sad because not only is it historically important but it really is the centre of the music scene in Cardiff. Its the only place in Cardiff you can pick up anything obscure.

The Good news is it seems the front of the shop is listed.
Old 03.14.2007, 11:38 AM   #22
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I feel a bit hypocritical when it comes to record shops closing. After all, 90% of the CDs I buy are from online stores like Amazon.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 01:46 PM   #23
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think Spillers will be going anywhere for a while. I think the people that control the rent have eased off a little bit as a result of the petition but I guess they will hike the rent up eventually. I wouldn't have thought it would close much before that whole area is redeveloped and that's not due until 2008. It will be utterly, utterly hideous from the look of the plans. I was up in cineworld the other day trying to get a good look at the demolished buildings and it struck me that it would be really ace if the just flattened that whole area and made a huge square like some sort of grand old European city. Instead it will be a shiny shit glass nightmare.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 02:04 PM   #24
sarramkrop

Question for whoever happened to visit camden market recently: do they still have those stalls where you could buy tapes of bootlegs for a fiver?I have a few of those.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 02:31 PM   #25
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
It's CDs these days, for 15 quid, I think. And DVDs.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 02:38 PM   #26
sarramkrop

That's sad, i used to find good stuff on them.Fifteen quid for a bootleg cdr?That's outrageous!!!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 02:41 PM   #27
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
£15 really is outrageous. Oh the days when you could get a tape of Head of David at the Clarendon for a fiver.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 02:43 PM   #28
sarramkrop

Last time i bought i dvd in camden, it was a velvet underground one and i paid £ 20 for it.The quality is atrocious, though.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 02:58 PM   #29
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
is it that one you recorded for me? i still have that tape to send you of ashtray navigations stuff saramkropp. pm me your new address.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 03:01 PM   #30
sarramkrop

Has it got maureen blinfolded on it?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 03:02 PM   #31
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
no its just them jamming and a little kid running around. i think its nico's son?

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 03.14.2007, 03:11 PM   #32
sarramkrop

Oh, that's the simphony of sound one.Did you enjoy it?That's a mean performance by them.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 03:14 PM   #33
jon boy
invito al cielo

i did! it was really great but not long enough. what i really want is some of the epi stuff. does any exist?

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 03.14.2007, 03:21 PM   #34
sarramkrop

If you mean footage, there is little to nothing and you can find some of it on youtube if you look for it.Bootleg-wise, there are a few that do the rounds and the quality is genrally rubbish but if you don't mind that, they are joy to behold.If we all pray together tonight, John Cale might decide to start putting everything that he has on cassette out and be done with it.I'm pretty sure that some unseen footage is out there, but i've never understood why they are being so precious about it.That could also have something to do with The Andy Warhol Foundation people who are an odd bunch.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 03:46 PM   #35
jon boy
invito al cielo

maybe they are still trying to archive it all. they have had 30 years so you think they would have got round to it by now!

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 03.14.2007, 03:50 PM   #36
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
someone told me nico used to fuck her son.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 03:55 PM   #37
sarramkrop

It's not far from the truth that they had a really odd relationship.While living in Brixton Ari would share the squalor of his mother's room sometimes, and that involved watching her doing heroin constantly and stinking like a farmer.Have you ever read 'Songs They Never Play On The Radio'?Great book, very sad but very amusing too.

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 04:00 PM   #38
jon boy
invito al cielo

i prefer not think about that stuff. its hard though when you hear some of the music.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 03.15.2007, 06:30 AM   #39
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
I don't think Spillers will be going anywhere for a while. I think the people that control the rent have eased off a little bit as a result of the petition but I guess they will hike the rent up eventually. I wouldn't have thought it would close much before that whole area is redeveloped and that's not due until 2008. It will be utterly, utterly hideous from the look of the plans. I was up in cineworld the other day trying to get a good look at the demolished buildings and it struck me that it would be really ace if the just flattened that whole area and made a huge square like some sort of grand old European city. Instead it will be a shiny shit glass nightmare.

Tell me about it, it'll be as bad as Cardiff Bay soon. They are like any City, trying to tear down everything thats scummy (although I like things scummy) I'm happy about the new library though. It really is about time.

Check out my 'Save Spillers Records' thread...ive posted a Culture Show segment about the shop...
Old 06.19.2007, 06:42 AM   #40
sarramkrop

There a new shop in place of Reckless Records, now.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth