Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page I got a Mac
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.05.2007, 08:57 PM   #21
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
I would never ever allow any Apple product in my apartment or on my person, but I'd rather just stay out of the old argument. Different strokes.

but OSX is just a delicious form of linux. linux is great but a pain in the ass. the fuckers in apple should ditch the obsession with dumbfucked hardware, and undercut win-doze just like microsoft did with ibm back in the day. a lot more people would use the mac os if they didn't have to buy into the whole fucking cult of saint jobs.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2007, 08:59 PM   #22
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
but OSX is just a delicious form of linux. the fuckers should ditch the obsession with dumbfucked hardware and undercut win-doze just like microsoft did with ibm back in the day. a lot more people would use the mac os if they didn't have to buy into the whole fucking cult of saint jobs.

I guess. I just don't really spend much time comparing operating systems. As long as it runs my games. I guess ignorance is bliss, as I've never used OSX or Linux. I have zero complaints about XP though.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2007, 09:06 PM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I guess. I just don't really spend much time comparing operating systems. As long as it runs my games. I guess ignorance is bliss, as I've never used OSX or Linux. I have zero complaints about XP though.

osx is very dumb but very user-friendly. it also looks pretty. if all you wanna do is a simple task, it will do the work. i recently edited a video project in final cut pro and it was extremely easy--which i can't always say about avid (what i have).

i keep thinking of getting a mac as a typewriter (just for writing) because a) my old shit is in mac and won't open in windows b) the interface is cleaner therefore less distracting than xp. and madame !@#$%! will eventually need her own editing bay, probably with FCP (we might try premiere though. keeps improving).

anyway, computer fights are silly, eh? ha ha. i laughed at myself today.
Old 03.05.2007, 09:12 PM   #24
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
These assholes from the "National Society of Collegiate Scholars" keep trying to get me to join them. It costs $75. My fat ass I'm going to join that shit. They sent me a sticker for my car today. It's just a scam to take money from morons who happen to make good grades. Like those Who's Who books.
Old 03.05.2007, 10:57 PM   #25
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i don't need to change hardware in my mac constantly, and i can get 56 channels of recorded audio running simultaneously and it is a strong live machine as well, i have used pcs with good hardware and windows and they have never been as solid as the macs ive had.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 01:21 AM   #26
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
i don't need to change hardware in my mac constantly, and i can get 56 channels of recorded audio running simultaneously and it is a strong live machine as well, i have used pcs with good hardware and windows and they have never been as solid as the macs ive had.

a-fucking-men!

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 02:47 AM   #27
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
fact: my bio teachers name is mak. shes gay
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 04:01 AM   #28
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i keep thinking of getting a mac as a typewriter (just for writing) because a) my old shit is in mac and won't open in windows

It would be a different story if you had a mac. > Virtual Pc.
If you're looking for a machine purely for writing, the old coloured iMacs are sufficient.

I bought my Quicksilver G4 five years ago, and have never had to reinstall the operating system, or any of my hardware/software.

Tip 1: OS X has a built in function to run so called cron scripts that fix your file system and hard disk in general. It's scheduled to run automatically during the night if the computer is idle. Some essential operations run every night, others only once every week or every month. So if you want your Mac to be healthy the most important thing you can do is to leave it running overnight, especially if you have worked on it all day and moved around big files. Also, it automatically does defragmenting for you.

Tip 2: You can also put your mac to sleep from a different location by sending yourself an e-mail.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 10:04 AM   #29
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
It would be a different story if you had a mac. > Virtual Pc.
If you're looking for a machine purely for writing, the old coloured iMacs are sufficient.

I bought my Quicksilver G4 five years ago, and have never had to reinstall the operating system, or any of my hardware/software.

Tip 1: OS X has a built in function to run so called cron scripts that fix your file system and hard disk in general. It's scheduled to run automatically during the night if the computer is idle. Some essential operations run every night, others only once every week or every month. So if you want your Mac to be healthy the most important thing you can do is to leave it running overnight, especially if you have worked on it all day and moved around big files. Also, it automatically does defragmenting for you.

Tip 2: You can also put your mac to sleep from a different location by sending yourself an e-mail.

oh cron jobs are common to linux machines, windows also has a scheduler and you can ask it to do this & that & the other. i update my virus definitions every morning for example (thats actually separate from windows), and i run maintenance programs regularly, but i turn off the machine at night because i have it in a battery backup unit & those suck a lot of power and $$.

about the typewriter thing:

i actually DO have an old colo(u)red imac, a G3 from 199...7?-- that i traded-- but it's a trash heap, and i fear that the hard disk might drive might die & fuck me up. sure i could make backups (i have several firewire/usb hard drives floating around), but the thing runs OS9 and finding software for it is a pain in the ass. i attempted to buy her memory about a year ago but it was a) ridiculously overpriced b) i forget what-- so i didn't.

don't know what im going to do about this. but sure it's fun to think outloud on the internet.
Old 03.06.2007, 10:22 AM   #30
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
you mean "AppleCare", which adds even more to the price??

haha it broke the second time 1 week AFTER AppleCare ran out. they still fixed it for free, but DAMN what a piece of shit.

don't get me wrong, apples are better than pc's at some stuff (and I love my ipod with every fiber of my being), but for me pc is the only thing I need.

then again, I only use it for surfing the net and online games. my friend plays the same game on a mac, but macs are like stepchildren every time a patch comes around.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 12:03 PM   #31
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

I like changing the hardware in my PC. It's a hobby of mine. It's just a different view of computers. Mine is the sweetest lego set ever. That's basically what it is. After I got too old for legos, I started building computers. Macs are magic. You plug them in and they work - no maintenence, no grease on your hands. I'm not interested in this. I want to have to replace my power supply because I got a new graphics card. I like doing this. I like buying new motherboards and spending days figuring out which one I want. Reading about latency in my RAM and shit.
Old 03.06.2007, 03:18 PM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I like changing the hardware in my PC. It's a hobby of mine. It's just a different view of computers. Mine is the sweetest lego set ever. That's basically what it is. After I got too old for legos, I started building computers. Macs are magic. You plug them in and they work - no maintenence, no grease on your hands. I'm not interested in this. I want to have to replace my power supply because I got a new graphics card. I like doing this. I like buying new motherboards and spending days figuring out which one I want. Reading about latency in my RAM and shit.

oh, oh, i hear you. picking the right chipset is like hunting for truffles. and then the customization is such a pleasure-- i installed my OS on a raid 1 array-- if one disk happened to crash due to cosmic rays, its twin would carry on without loss of data. thinking about that makes me all tingly inside.

as a matter of fact, i'm already considering my next behemoth-- maybe a file server for the house/office where i can store every goddamn file.
Old 03.06.2007, 03:18 PM   #33
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
about the typewriter thing:

i actually DO have an old colo(u)red imac, a G3 from 199...7?-- that i traded-- but it's a trash heap, and i fear that the hard disk might drive might die & fuck me up. sure i could make backups (i have several firewire/usb hard drives floating around), but the thing runs OS9 and finding software for it is a pain in the ass. i attempted to buy her memory about a year ago but it was a) ridiculously overpriced b) i forget what-- so i didn't.

don't know what im going to do about this. but sure it's fun to think outloud on the internet.

I miss the old days sometimes. A block of paper and ink rollers was enough to get the job done...*sigh*
Old 03.06.2007, 03:19 PM   #34
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

damn, we posted on the same second!

yeah i love typewriters. you can really PUNCH those keys.
Old 03.08.2007, 12:20 AM   #35
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

contrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
Fuck Yeah, It replaces my old computer.

heeeey me too!
like 2 months ago.
a white macbook.
it's such a confortable piece of shit.
i record with garageband
and have wi-fi to chat from the fucking kitchen, or bedrooms, living room, bathroom, wherever.
contrelefuckingsexisme is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth