Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: ?
geetar hero too. 1 3.57%
a geetar. 27 96.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.07.2007, 10:31 PM   #21
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
Play real music with melodies instead of making dumb noise that anyone can make to make yourself look cool.

but I like dumb noise! it's what get's me off!

and like lux said, I really don't think I'd end up playing for a crowd to look cool for.

personally, I think that I'd be more suited for drums, however truncated's scorn made me smash my invisible kit (as well as my dreams of one day being a world class air-drummer). now I'm onto guitar.

despite my inclination to go 'lectric, I was just convinced to buy an accoustic to learn on.

I'm going to be the next peter, paul and fuckin' mary.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2007, 10:41 PM   #22
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I love you, Lux

I am really not kidding about the video game music. In a way it's on a higher level than other forms of music. It plays on a loop (unless it's like one of those skateboarding games where they have songs by real rock bands, which by now they've probably configured it so that you can make a playlist of those provided songs, and listen to that while you're playing a course), but yeah, it plays on a loop and it has to be good enough to be distinguishable from any other video game music, and good enough that it can be played on a loop and not become annoying in the process. Good enough that it becomes memorable and inseparable from the game it appears on. Tetris has great music. Mario in most forms has had great music. Yoshi's Island has some of my favorite video game music, especially the parts where Yoshi is in a cave of some sort. Zelda on NES, and the list goes on.

Something similar is probably the Looney Tunes / Merrie Melodies approach to using classical music in their cartoons.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2007, 10:53 PM   #23
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I just said I love you because girls that dig video games are fuckin' tight.
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2007, 12:07 AM   #24
zedius
children of satan

zedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
Something similar is probably the Looney Tunes / Merrie Melodies approach to using classical music in their cartoons.

I dig what you have to say about video game music. The definitive mario song is as definitive as music gets. It's surely something to be respected.

I'm pretty sure the merry melodies thing had a lot to do with no royalties.
Old 04.08.2007, 12:54 AM   #25
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
Buy the Guitar Hero! A real guitar will only lead to false hopes and dreams!
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2007, 10:33 AM   #26
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

My point is that I would much rather play Yoshi's Island and just listen to the beautiful music on that video game, while trying desperately to reunite baby Mario with his parents.

I love that game!!!

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2007, 11:02 AM   #27
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
What about gays who play real guitars? Are we hot or not?
Old 04.08.2007, 06:25 PM   #28
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
Quote:
My point is that I would much rather play Yoshi's Island and just listen to the beautiful music on that video game, while trying desperately to reunite baby Mario with his parents.

The girl has taste.

One of my favourite pieces ev0r videogame-wise is the looped melody at the start of the Zelda games on the title screen. I think the OoT version is the best incarnation.

I got hold of the soundtrack CDs for OoT and MM and a couple of orchestrations. Yeah, I'm a Nintendo fanboy but the music itself is righteous. Particularly, as lux pointed out, considering that in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras they really were working within pretty tight boundaries. Even on the '64 they were, actually.
Old 04.08.2007, 06:29 PM   #29
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Don't waste your time and money on all that game shit.
Old 04.08.2007, 06:52 PM   #30
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Don't waste your time and money on all that game shit.

Yeah, get one of these instead:

Just think of how many different ways you could play "Old McDonald Had a Farm" on that monster.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2007, 09:14 PM   #31
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
and THAT is exactly the root of what makes me think he's right.

even if it sounds like shit, I think I would still come out having more fun with a real guitar.

how hard is restringing it left handed going to be for me? am I better off going to a guitar store and not some cheap ass pawn shop?

im left handed but play guitar right handed, couldnt be fucked restringing when i started
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2007, 10:11 PM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
personally, I think that I'd be more suited for drums, however truncated's scorn made me smash my invisible kit (as well as my dreams of one day being a world class air-drummer). now I'm onto guitar.

despite my inclination to go 'lectric, I was just convinced to buy an accoustic to learn on.

twice castrated in a single week??

DOOOOOOOOCTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

--
go return that wooden piece of acoustic hippie shit & get yr drumset, foo...

go before it's too goddamn late.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2007, 10:13 PM   #33
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Look at it this way, a real guitar has potential to get you more money and fame etc. Guitar Hero Two will give you hand cramps and a repetitive stress injury.
Old 04.08.2007, 10:24 PM   #34
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
you can get a guitar and compose videogame music with it...or get yourself a nice tv and a nes or snes and a bunch of games.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2007, 11:07 PM   #35
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Look at it this way, a real guitar has potential to get you more money and fame etc. Guitar Hero Two will give you hand cramps and a repetitive stress injury.

You see what I mean about false hopes and dreams?
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2007, 11:15 PM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
fuck glory, fuck fame, fuck all that shit

agh, the point is to have fun, to have fun, that is all, that is all... !

DRUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rOCa-qgbtc

which continues here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fwcFjzyik

and here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd4NDf7ciK4

and as a bonus (not for vegetarians, and a bit dorky, but whateva)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hngmb0pTcMY

plus, my current hero (sorry, crappy sound in the 1st one but... is he having fun??? eeehhhh??)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si3iSzgRr4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS7XwOecqes

Old 04.09.2007, 08:45 AM   #37
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
go return that wooden piece of acoustic hippie shit & get yr drumset, foo...

.....wow you know how to hurt a guy.

what if I don't plan on playing hippie shit?

drums are too loud for my house unfortunately, and there's just nowhere to put them! the invisible ones only brought me threats of violence, the real ones might bring the real thing.

and yeah, I don't want to be cool or hot or anything really. I just want to have fun!

granted....becoming a genius at guitar hero WILL make me cool with my friends, whereas I will never be impressive enough with a real one.

if I play my cards right, maybe I can just get both.

PS: I'll watch the youtube when I get home (no soundcard).
Old 04.09.2007, 10:22 AM   #38
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
dont get a video game, its just a waste.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2007, 10:35 AM   #39
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
.....wow you know how to hurt a guy.

what if I don't plan on playing hippie shit?

drums are too loud for my house unfortunately, and there's just nowhere to put them! the invisible ones only brought me threats of violence, the real ones might bring the real thing.

and yeah, I don't want to be cool or hot or anything really. I just want to have fun!

granted....becoming a genius at guitar hero WILL make me cool with my friends, whereas I will never be impressive enough with a real one.

if I play my cards right, maybe I can just get both.

PS: I'll watch the youtube when I get home (no soundcard).

oh, sorry man. well if you want the electric guitar then get the electic guitar at least, no? they are really 2 different instruments. one is like a plectrum, the other is a dinosaur of xx century technology. go with dinosaurs! im telling you, i have an acoustic, and i cannot do this to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WInKHEhRrvM
Old 04.09.2007, 11:51 AM   #40
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh, sorry man. well if you want the electric guitar then get the electic guitar at least, no?

don't EVER apologize for calling someone out on hippie shit.

if the world had more people like you, and less bumblebees, it would be a happier (less smelly) place.

I think I've been pretty much convinced to get an accoustic.

after I teach myself how to play the entire Sparklehorse discography, I plan on finding new ways to make the accoustic guitar into the punk rawk instrument of doom that it was born to be.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth