Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page holy cow, i'm like a turtle coming out of my shell!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.19.2007, 10:26 AM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
This is more than you ever wanted to know about the incident, from
Rock Out Censorship's official statement, by Kenny Moore. I have
altered it slightly, as the call to action in the official statement
isn't really necessary three years later.

On April 10th, 1996 Rage was scheduled to perform two songs on the
NBC comedy variety show "Saturday Night Live." The show was hosted
that night by ex-Republican presidential candidate and billionaire
Steve Forbes. According to RATM guitarist Tom Morello, "RATM wanted
to stand in sharp juxtaposition to a billionaire telling jokes and
promoting his flat tax...by making our own statement."

To make that statement, RATM hung two upside-down American flags
from their amps. Seconds before they took the stage to perform
"Bulls on Parade", SNL and NBC sent stagehands in to pull the flags
down. The inverted flags, says Morello, represented "our
contention that American democracy is inverted when what passes
for democracy is an electoral choice between two representatives of
the privileged class. America's freedom of expression is inverted
when you're free to say anything you want to say until it upsets a
corporate sponsor. Finally, this was our way of expressing our
opinion of the show's host, Steve Forbes."

RATM first attempted to hang the flags during a pre-telecast
rehearsal on Thursday, SNL's producers "demanded that we take the
flags down," says Morello. "They said the sponsors would be upset,
and that because Steve Forbes was on, they had to run a 'tighter'
show." SNL also told the band it would mute objectionable lyrics in
"Bullet In The Head" (which was supposed to be RATM's second song).
SNL even insisted that the song be bleeped in the studio because
Forbes had friends and family there.

On show night, following the first performance, and the flags being
torn down, RATM were approached by SNL and NBC officials and ordered
to immediately leave the building. Upon hearing this, RATM bassist
Tim Bob reportedly stormed Forbes' dressing room, throwing shreds
from one of the torn down flags.

"SNL censored Rage, period. They could not have sucked up to the
billionaire more," said Morello. "The thing that's ironic is SNL is
supposedly this cutting edge show, but they proved they're
bootlickers to their corporate masters when it comes down to it.
They're cowards. It should come to no surprise that GE, which owns
NBC, would find 'Bullet' particularly offensive. GE is a major
manufacturer of US planes used to commit war crimes in the Gulf War,
and bombs from those jets destroyed hydroelectric dams which killed
thousands of civilians in Iraq." Morello noted that members of the
Saturday Night Live cast and crew, whom he declined to name,
"expressed solidarity with our actions, and a sense of shame that
their show had censored the performance."

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2007, 10:31 AM   #22
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, pot sucks.

the first time i tried it, made me really introverted, which i don't like at all. it did save me from getting into beating some dude's ass.

the subsequent times i've tried it has done nothing for me.

thread title: "heroes in a half shell, turtle power!"
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2007, 02:22 PM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
what am i meaning? i tried pot for the first time on thursday night. big whoop. wasn't that great, wasn't that bad.

so, how much water do you drink each day?

yeah its often like that the first time

"oh im not stoned. i feel nothing"

only to find yourself in a chinese takeout at 4am piling on the noodles

anyway, congratulations on losing your cherry. just please dont make it a habit, or you'll end up well you know.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2007, 05:32 PM   #24
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
it's definitely not gonna become a habit.

i did feel it, it just wasn't anything magnificent, i guess. i appreciate that it let me sit and sort through some of the shit i've been going through emotionally, but i can't see myself being like "yah dude! let's get stoned and go to mcdonalds and order cheeseburgers with apple sauce!" or any of that shit.

and i eat too healthy to do chinese takeout at 4am.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2007, 05:38 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
marihuana is a mild hallucinogen. You are not supposed to experience cocaine like euphoria, or a "rush" or any such thing.

I liken it to having some beers. plenty of people, in fact, MOST people, have a drink or two after work every day. I smoke a bowl or tow after work. same difference. I do my laundry, draw, clean up, chill, etc.
Old 11.19.2007, 06:03 PM   #26
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
marihuana is a mild hallucinogen. You are not supposed to experience cocaine like euphoria, or a "rush" or any such thing.

I liken it to having some beers. plenty of people, in fact, MOST people, have a drink or two after work every day. I smoke a bowl or tow after work. same difference. I do my laundry, draw, clean up, chill, etc.

yeah if it was legal, safe, quality-controlled and guaranteed mold-free it would be kickass.

also if chronic use wouldnt make me forget where i left my keys, and, hmmm, what was the other thing that...?

until then i'll stick to beer though. :/
Old 11.19.2007, 06:10 PM   #27
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
and i eat too healthy to do chinese takeout at 4am.

so what did you do for munchies? do tell...
Old 11.19.2007, 06:12 PM   #28
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, weed usually sucks the first time

I had never smoked anything before the first time I tried it, so my throat just hurt more than I was high.
Old 11.19.2007, 07:25 PM   #29
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
so what did you do for munchies? do tell...
i ate a few bites of some raw veggies.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 11.19.2007, 07:54 PM   #30
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i ate a few bites of some raw veggies.
Boring!

Tell us more about it.

My first time was with 3 friends in a park with these lakes. It was really chill and nice. We went back to my friends place cause she has the nicest house. She has a theater in it, and we watched some of the Royal Tenenbaums while eating M&M's and a bunch of other movie junk food.

My throat hurt a lot at first, but it totally went away like 10 minutes later. I wasn't extremely high, but I could definitely feel it.
Old 11.19.2007, 07:58 PM   #31
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

i went over to a coworker's place. i had already had two glasses of red wine, so i was feeling quite alright. when i did it, my mouth got insanely dry and i had to drink sparks to wet me up. my kept getting waves of warm and cool, and i thought that i was pissing myself. i got really horny, then we all went to the bar and danced a bit, where i kept getting the waves through my legs/horny. i tried listening to some Growing when i got home, but i passed out instead.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 11.19.2007, 08:02 PM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ha ha. i agree with alex that those munchies were kind of underwhelming. i learned to cook during my pot-smoking phase-- glorious leftover-strewn dishes. i learned little else, as i often found it hard to concentrate much on Very Long Books.
Old 11.19.2007, 08:03 PM   #33
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Well just because you had a meh experience the first time doesn't mean you should altogether give up, though that is a choice that you have all to yourself. I didn't think it was that great the first time, but I gave it another try, and it was much better.

One time I got pretty fucked on some 'trainwreck' as it was called, I accidentally sat in some water, and I thought I pissed myself, but from my ass which was really confusing. I felt like I was made of sand too, and the wet part was like...wet sand.

My friends said it really screwed me up, and they seemed pretty fine. But it was really cool.
Old 11.19.2007, 08:12 PM   #34
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ha ha keep trying until you have to wake & bake, i what alex is saying
Old 11.19.2007, 08:15 PM   #35
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Hahaha, totally.

Nah, it is too much work with parents. I just do it when I can, which isn't that often. But it is alright. I don't like doing too much of anything. Too much of a good thing...
Old 11.19.2007, 11:24 PM   #36
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
I enjoy smoking bud very much. Cotton mouth goes away after a while, or at least I don't get it much anymore.
With time it gets good.
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2007, 11:32 PM   #37
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
keep trying it i say
itll get better
and those trips to the mcdonalds for weird food are great
go to a "7/11" with a friend, its much fun
Old 11.19.2007, 11:35 PM   #38
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah its often like that the first time

"oh im not stoned. i feel nothing"

only to find yourself in a chinese takeout at 4am piling on the noodles

anyway, congratulations on losing your cherry. just please dont make it a habit, or you'll end up well you know.
not me. maybe because i knew how to inhale it properly but i remember all of a sudden i couldn't stop laughing. and then i walked 3 and a half miles home in a foot of snow at 3 AM and it was nice.
Quote:
ha ha keep trying until you have to wake & bake, i what alex is saying

every day.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2007, 11:37 PM   #39
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^^ people who used to be geniuses
Old 11.19.2007, 11:39 PM   #40
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
hey!
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth