Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page New York
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.09.2008, 11:59 AM   #21
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
it's cool, i've always been able to find a waitressing job and made decent money and if you know where to look and everything you can find a reasonably priced apt. in manhattan. i had about 1200 sq. feet on the lower east side for something like $1600/month.

I can put you in a 5 bedroom, 4 bath, 3000 square foot house with a pool and a jacuzzi and a 3 car garage and all new appliances 1/3 of an acre for $1600/month in houston
Old 06.09.2008, 12:00 PM   #22
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
isn't looking at a dj's records a big faux pas though?

i think i heard about that, but that crate was at a record store, so...

---

whenever i'm in ny i always get stopped and complimented on my shirts. last year, a lady of about 40 told me how she loves flipper at the barnes & noble across the street from st. marks.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 12:12 PM   #23
sarramkrop

Didn't we have 5000 threads about London and New York already? Not everyone who posts on this forum lives in either city.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 12:15 PM   #24
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
and that's why they need to know what it's like
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 12:16 PM   #25
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Sarramkrop^^True, but a good few of those that don't seem interested in either living in, or at least visiting them.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 12:17 PM   #26
sarramkrop

Oh ok, then.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 12:31 PM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
my memories of NYC (I last visited there when I was aged 6-7)

my uncles brownstone

the statue of liberty and taking the ferry

going to the top of the world trade center, staring down holding my glasses so they would not fall off my face, and making and throwing a paper airplane off the top, which I lost view of around 30 stories down.

The Rockettes
Old 06.09.2008, 01:06 PM   #28
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
When I was growing up, NY (more specifically Manhattan) seemed like the most exciting place in the world. It was where Spiderman lived and King Kong went on the rampage. I learnt the names of all the districts as a kid by watching films like The Warriors and listening to Grandmaster Flash records. I imagined that every person in the city looked like either Travis Bickle, a Warhol superstar or Eric B. Even watching TV shows like Taxi fuelled my obsession with the city. I'm sure a large part of why Sonic Youth meant so much to me at that time was as much to do with their being from NY as it was their music. I remember finally getting there and stumbling across Eldridge St and getting this weird thrill of finally seeing a place I'd once fantasised about.

I was brought up in the arse end of East London, where absolutely nothing was happening whatsoever at the time - and isn't still to this day. NY became this mythical place for me. I read an interview with Antony from Antony and the Johnsons recently where he said that finally arriving in NY after years of obsessing over it, he felt like he made sense. This is exactly how I felt when i stepped off the bus at Grand Central Station. It's very hard to describe, but all I can say is that I felt totally at ease with myself, maybe for the first time in my life. In sexual terms it's like I 'came out', only to have to get back into the closet on my return to London.

I know this all sounds rather melodramatic, and it probably is, but it's probably the most honest thing I've ever posted here, so fuck it.
Old 06.09.2008, 01:08 PM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

that's a great thing man.
Old 06.09.2008, 01:11 PM   #30
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
This is exactly how I felt when i stepped off the bus at Grand Central Station.

pssst - Port Authority Bus Terminal - Grand Central is a train terminal.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 01:12 PM   #31
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
When I was growing up, NY (more specifically Manhattan) seemed like the most exciting place in the world. It was where Spiderman lived and King Kong went on the rampage. I learnt the names of all the districts as a kid by watching films like The Warriors and listening to Grandmaster Flash records. I imagined that every person in the city looked like either Travis Bickle, a Warhol superstar or Eric B. Even watching TV shows like Taxi fuelled my obsession with the city. I'm sure a large part of why Sonic Youth meant so much to me at that time was as much to do with their being from NY as it was their music. I remember finally getting there and stumbling across Eldridge St and getting this weird thrill of finally seeing a place I'd once fantasised about.

I was brought up in the arse end of East London, where absolutely nothing was happening whatsoever at the time - and isn't still to this day. NY became this mythical place for me. I read an interview with Antony from Antony and the Johnsons recently where he said that finally arriving in NY after years of obsessing over it, he felt like he made sense. This is exactly how I felt when i stepped off the bus at Grand Central Station. It's very hard to describe, but all I can say is that I felt totally at ease with myself, maybe for the first time in my life. In sexual terms it's like I 'came out', only to have to get back into the closet on my return to London.

I know this all sounds rather melodramatic, and it probably is, but it's probably the most honest thing I've ever posted here, so fuck it.

being from florida, that's how i felt. when my best friend moved up there i didn't bother seeing her until new years. i always dreamed about living in nyc (or portland) but i never thought i would. it wasn't until i went up there and saw brooklyn that i knew i had to move up there as fast as possible.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 01:17 PM   #32
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Mangajunky^^Yeah, I know but I got this shuttle bus from JFK which stopped right outside Grand Central. All the other buses were going to Port Authority but I needed to get to East 17th Street and some guy pointed me to a bus that'd take me closer by stopping outside Grand Central.
Old 06.09.2008, 01:18 PM   #33
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I can put you in a 5 bedroom, 4 bath, 3000 square foot house with a pool and a jacuzzi and a 3 car garage and all new appliances 1/3 of an acre for $1600/month in houston
my apartment, which i do not pay rent on, is 2500 square feet (and half empty because i don't have enough shit to put in it)

anyway as far as living elsewhere in the US i would kind of like to check out minneapolis (don't ask me why but i like the midwest) or olympia, wa because i kinda miss living in a big old house, but you can't get anywhere living in st. louis (which is where i'm from, unfortunately) so i don't want to live there.
Old 06.09.2008, 01:21 PM   #34
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
something to consider

many of those little restaurants don't have mechanical dishwashers, they do it by hand, and probably don't even use hot water in order to save money.

Health Dept: Quarter of NYC Residents Have Herpes

NEW YORK (AP) -- A city Health Department study finds that more than a fourth of adult New Yorkers are infected with the virus that causes genital herpes.
The study, released Monday, says about 26 percent of New York City adults have genital herpes, compared to about 19 percent nationwide.
The department says genital herpes can double a person's risk for contracting HIV.
Herpes can cause painful sores, but most people have no recognizable symptoms.
Among New Yorkers, the herpes rate is higher among women, black people and gay men.
The health department urges consistent use of condoms, and says its STD clinics offer free, confidential herpes testing.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 01:23 PM   #35
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
something to consider

many of those little restaurants don't have mechanical dishwashers, they do it by hand, and probably don't even use hot water in order to save money.
having worked in many, i can tell you that this is true
Old 06.09.2008, 01:23 PM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

yeah but it's frikkin texas!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 01:26 PM   #37
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
being from florida, that's how i felt. when my best friend moved up there i didn't bother seeing her until new years. i always dreamed about living in nyc (or portland) but i never thought i would. it wasn't until i went up there and saw brooklyn that i knew i had to move up there as fast as possible.

Because of my childhood obsession with The Warriors i took the subway across Brooklyn to Coney Island just so I could see the Wonderwheel. I think I might've been the only person in the world that got such a thrill from visiting a closed fairground (it was mid-January.) It was a bit embarrasing coming back and showing people photos, and repeatedly being asked why I had about a dozen pictures of a ferris wheel.
Old 06.09.2008, 01:27 PM   #38
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
something to consider

Health Dept: Quarter of NYC Residents Have Herpes

NEW YORK (AP) -- A city Health Department study finds that more than a fourth of adult New Yorkers are infected with the virus that causes genital herpes.
The study, released Monday, says about 26 percent of New York City adults have genital herpes, compared to about 19 percent nationwide.
The department says genital herpes can double a person's risk for contracting HIV.
Herpes can cause painful sores, but most people have no recognizable symptoms.
Among New Yorkers, the herpes rate is higher among women, black people and gay men.
The health department urges consistent use of condoms, and says its STD clinics offer free, confidential herpes testing.

that's why i would rather not dishwash unless i really needed a job.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 01:49 PM   #39
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Mangajunky^^Yeah, I know but I got this shuttle bus from JFK which stopped right outside Grand Central. All the other buses were going to Port Authority but I needed to get to East 17th Street and some guy pointed me to a bus that'd take me closer by stopping outside Grand Central.

Grand Central is a way better first impression.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2008, 01:50 PM   #40
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangajunky
Grand Central is a way better first impression.
i love the ceiling in there

i kind of want a tattoo of the pisces thing from the ceiling

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth