Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Was this wrong?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.25.2008, 03:53 PM   #21
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
It's with a degree of irony this is being discussed on this forum; cos hey- heres another one for you - was it 'right' for Raymond Pettibon to use an image of Maureen Hindley (Myra's sister and witness in trial) on the front cover of Sonic Youth's Goo?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1151/...09a8e7.jpg?v=0

I'd say that's fair play - Hindley's sister never did anything to anyone.

The media in this country love to play the "Hyndley" card, tis true - still, as Glice says, it is monstrously insensitive to the families of those murdered, and shame on those who thought of the whole stupid idea in the first place.
Old 08.25.2008, 04:08 PM   #22
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Just once I'd like some minor, insensitive oversight that no-one would've noticed otherwise to go without the full Daily Mail treatment. I was watching TV at the time, and I don't remember seeing it. It must've been in fairly soft-focus. Using the painting is insensitive, but regurgitating the Hindley story must be more upsetting for the families concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.25.2008, 04:11 PM   #23
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Using the painting is insensitive, but regurgitating the Hindley story must be more upsetting for the families concerned.

I couldn't have put it better myself, Glice.
Old 08.25.2008, 04:18 PM   #24
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i don't have a problem with it.
it's just a fucking painting.
Old 08.25.2008, 04:21 PM   #25
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Cantankers - it's not the painting that's the issue (it's a pretty meh painting, having seen it myself), it's who it's of and what it represents. Myra Hindley and Ian Brady are still hugely controversial figures in the UK, for many reasons - for the best info on the whole case, try and pick up a copy of "Beyond Belief".
Old 08.25.2008, 04:52 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
One thing I really like about the painting concerned is that it has precisely the sort of draftsmanship that the Daily Mail bemoans modern art as lacking. That little irony does make me chuckle.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 08.25.2008, 04:57 PM   #27
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Cantankers - it's not the painting that's the issue (it's a pretty meh painting, having seen it myself), it's who it's of and what it represents. Myra Hindley and Ian Brady are still hugely controversial figures in the UK, for many reasons - for the best info on the whole case, try and pick up a copy of "Beyond Belief".
i know who they are and what they did and all that. but really, i mean come on. it's a stupid thing to get upset over.
Old 08.25.2008, 05:05 PM   #28
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Cantankers - well, Glice has got the media thing spot on, which I accept. Personally, to be honest, I'm not wildly upset over it, just pissed off at the thoughtlessness of the people who organised this in the first place.
Old 08.25.2008, 05:23 PM   #29
boy_howdy
bad moon rising

boy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's asses
i agree with cantankerous. and bringing up the sonic youth cover art is stupid. it's an ALBUM cover, what do you expect? people like to ruffle feathers in the music world. the olympics is supposed to be about people from all countries engaging in friendly competition and hopefully learning about each each in the process. the point is not to ruffle feathers - quite the opposite, actually.

but i still agree that it's a stupid thing to get upset over. it's insensitive in some ways but if britan wants to make themselves look like culturally insensitive pricks, by all means, let them dig their own grave. (and i'm not saying this being anti-english, if any country did this i would say the same thing)

boy_howdy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.25.2008, 05:25 PM   #30
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Cantankers - well, Glice has got the media thing spot on, which I accept. Personally, to be honest, I'm not wildly upset over it, just pissed off at the thoughtlessness of the people who organised this in the first place.
well. people fuck up.
Old 08.25.2008, 05:28 PM   #31
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Cantankers - Yeah, you're right there

bow_howdy - w/you on yer first paragraph. Re the second - it's not the Brits in general, but certainly our newspapers/media have the cultural intelligence of your average housebrick.
Old 08.25.2008, 06:14 PM   #32
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
One of the sad things about all this is indeed the way it's given the tabloids yet another opportunity to attack contemporary British art.

Although I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I found Boris Johnson's Olympic speech one of the funniest I've heard in a long time. "Ping pong's coming home" indeed!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.25.2008, 06:15 PM   #33
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

i just don't understand what everyone is complaining about?

fuck the tabloids and fuck the olympics. just ignore it. remain neutral. etc.
Old 08.25.2008, 06:25 PM   #34
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, but surely a major part of the fun of life is to exploit one's ability to complain unnecessarily about shit that doesn't really matter.
Old 08.25.2008, 07:18 PM   #35
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
With Gary Glitter's recent release from jail, it surely was a missed opportunity to not have him sing a tune during the handover ceremony...

He was already in Asia even, so aside from representing the best of British culture it would also be a chance to keep flight distances to a minimum and promote London 2012 as "environmentally aware".
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 11:09 AM   #36
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
One of the sad things about all this is indeed the way it's given the tabloids yet another opportunity to attack contemporary British art.

Although I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I found Boris Johnson's Olympic speech one of the funniest I've heard in a long time. "Ping pong's coming home" indeed!

Tories might be scumbags, but they do bumbling toffs better than anyone else (cf Prince Philip).

Quote:
Old 08.26.2008, 11:13 AM   #37
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I like Boris. I really do. Not saying he should be in politics, but fuck. A man has to make a living.
Old 08.26.2008, 11:15 AM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

If he wasn't actually mayor of London I'd really want him to be mayor of London. I sometimes wonder if it's all a dream and he's secretly not a child's blood drinking tory.

Quote:
Old 08.26.2008, 11:15 AM   #39
boy_howdy
bad moon rising

boy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's assesboy_howdy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
With Gary Glitter's recent release from jail, it surely was a missed opportunity to not have him sing a tune during the handover ceremony...

He was already in Asia even, so aside from representing the best of British culture it would also be a chance to keep flight distances to a minimum and promote London 2012 as "environmentally aware".

this just made me LOL for real. thumbs up.

boy_howdy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 11:21 AM   #40
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'd say that's fair play - Hindley's sister never did anything to anyone.

I don't massively think it was a wrong of SY or Pettibon to use this image, I was just digging up another related issue to stir up discussion a bit, however, if there is an arguement for immorality with using these images, I reckon the fact that Maureen was innocent makes it an intrusion on her privacy for her to turn up on an album cover. Pettibon was sexing up a horrific child murder case, it would have been better to use Myra's image seeing as shes a sub-human peice of scum and has no right or objection to her image being used. Maureen, however was caught up in it and innocent, and I think that makes it kinda wrong, but again, not something I feel particularly strong about..

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth