Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Top Ten Unfinished Books
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.06.2008, 12:35 PM   #21
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
I can't think of a whole list, but one book I attempted in high school was Kafka's The Castle. Not because it was boring or anything, but the thing was one long paragraph. No breaks for changing speakers or chapters or anything. I would have to remember the last word of the last sentence I read in order to pick up where I left off, and after a while it got to be too much.

Beckett does this too. What I do is stop in the same place each time...at the top of the left page. It kinda works.
Old 12.07.2008, 09:46 PM   #22
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I started Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence, and its a pretty depressing book, but thankfully i spilled vegetable curry on it, meaning i could leave early.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2008, 09:56 PM   #23
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
The whole horror part of the book was cool enough. But whatever the story that was told in the margins was is the epitome of what i hate about most contemporary literature. Mindless drug addiction portrayal is fucking boring and trite and in no way sympathetic/shocking/interesting. And it seems to be what a majority or writers write about nowadays. Who really gives a fuck about the wreckless/indulgent lifestyle.
The rising generation.

Criticizing Danielewski for being trite is like criticizing Joyce for being crude, or Chandler for being pulpy. You'll get unanimous agreement for years before he knocks Faulkner out of the Norton Anthology to much applause.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2008, 11:44 PM   #24
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I think you are overrating Danielewski.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2008, 02:10 AM   #25
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
I love House of Leaves, but I don't care much for the Johnny Truant side of the story. All of the great stuff is in The Navidson Record.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2008, 02:41 AM   #26
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
The book dissolves into post modern gimmickry. I thought I would dig it but the charm wore off quickly.
Old 12.08.2008, 02:44 AM   #27
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
I really tried to get into House of Leaves a couple years ago, but I just got tired of it, then I forgot about it. I have no desire to try to read it again. It really did just feel like wankery at the time.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2008, 04:54 AM   #28
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think I overrate him at all. The postmodern elements have nothing to do with his ability--that's just a medium that he enjoys, which he has elaborated on in interviews.

I hear "gimmick" used endlessly to describe both House of Leaves and Only Revolutions, which is a useless word without explanation. People assume that their striking appearance and pseudo-complexity are the depth of his innovation, but that has nothing to do with his writing. The Pelican Poems alone--an irrelevant and apparently useless addition to an already time-consuming work--are an excellent demonstration of his understanding of the art of writing. I think Danielewski as a writer, apart from whatever medium he uses, is genuinely one of the most capable voices out right now.

He does seem quite the prick, but if he can write, who cares? And anyway, Foer and Coupland have a much better hold on contemporary wankery.
Old 12.09.2008, 05:25 AM   #29
pbradley
invito al cielo

I was hoping that his formatting would be more meaningful of a device in propelling the narrative but I didn't feel that was the case. The Three Attic Whalestoe Institute Letters did it well, the main story lost my interest. But I don't want to speculate over Danielewski as a writer any more than I already have. I haven't read any of his other work, nor have I finished this one.
Old 12.09.2008, 05:42 AM   #30
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Hah, no worries. I'm just hoping to set myself up for an I-told-you-so with a few of my friends. I think he's talented and have a feeling he's going to get recognized later, but I've lost bets before.
Old 12.10.2008, 10:38 AM   #31
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Not this translation, but the same book:

And then this:

afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 01:24 PM   #32
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
Someone lent me the Alchemist and I never finished it. HA!

a better "The Alchemist":
http://www.levity.com/alchemy/jn-alch0.html
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 01:26 PM   #33
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Can't remember if this was posted before.

Can't remember the details, but there was a list of the books most frequently bought but not read.
10) Crime & Punishment by Dostoyevsky

Wow, you're managing to top yourself...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lamebrained
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 01:38 PM   #34
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Can't remember if this was posted before.

Can't remember the details, but there was a list of the books most frequently bought but not read.

1) Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre
2) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling
3) Ulysses by James Joyce
4) Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières
5) Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
6) The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
7) The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
8) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
9) The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
10) Crime & Punishment by Dostoyevsky

i am not surprised by some of those choices.

a) harry potter-- horrible horrible prose. unfuckingreadable.

b) ulysses -- too hard for most

c) corelli's mandolin --- i dont know but i saw the movie and it was HORRID

d) satanic verses -- im one of them. bought for the fame (over the mail for $1) not because i was realy interested

e) war and peace -- very fucking long! who has time these days? i wish i did...

f) coelho -- new age pap
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 06:01 PM   #35
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Wow, you're managing to top yourself...
If only you would.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2008, 12:56 AM   #36
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
Not this translation, but the same book:

And then this:

I've read that translation of NFTU and loved it. Miller is the man, but I'm not familiar with that book. I'll have to check it out. Oh yeah, Danielewski is still wack. I'd rather my generation be crude or 'pulpy' than trite, which indeed describes Danielewski's poor attempts. there is much cooler contemporary literature out there. Junot Diaz's brief wondrous life of oscar wao is pretty dern good.
Old 12.11.2008, 12:57 AM   #37
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i am not surprised by some of those choices.

a) harry potter-- horrible horrible prose. unfuckingreadable.

b) ulysses -- too hard for most

c) corelli's mandolin --- i dont know but i saw the movie and it was HORRID

d) satanic verses -- im one of them. bought for the fame (over the mail for $1) not because i was realy interested

e) war and peace -- very fucking long! who has time these days? i wish i did...

f) coelho -- new age pap

in response to a)...thank you...fuck harry potter
Old 12.11.2008, 01:13 AM   #38
pbradley
invito al cielo

So I'm unfortunately adding Margret Atwood's Oryx and Crake to the list. Shit needs to take a back seat to FINAL ESSAYS!
Old 12.11.2008, 04:30 AM   #39
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Maybe people stop reading Harry Potter when they realize it's a fucking children's book, and that the movie wastes slightly less time.

And while we're at it, fuck Paolini, too.
Old 12.17.2008, 12:32 PM   #40
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I've been dipping in and out of Catch 22 for the last six months or so, and don't really know why I'm bothering. I mean, it's a totally pointless book, isn't it. I've realised that its very pointlessness is a metaphor, but, well, that doesn't make it any the less pointless.

Whether I'll ever bother to finish it is debatable.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth