Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bands putting records out on floppy disc
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.16.2009, 04:23 PM   #21
sarramkrop

That's interesting, thanks. I'm retarded when it comes to computer technology specifications.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:23 PM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I uased to love fucking with the floppies back in the day, tearing them apart to see how they were made.
Old 01.16.2009, 04:24 PM   #23
sarramkrop

In fact I always imagined floppy disc drives were all the same.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:27 PM   #24
al shabbray

there were also zip drives, which stored around 120 mb or something. I think if you relase music on them it will be heard not by too many people.
some IT friend also told me that these type of disks were the most unstable ones. dataloss par excellence
on the opposite almost all 20+ year old disks from my C64 are still working and are readable. lets see how much of my Cds/Dvds will work at that age...
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:30 PM   #25
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
i still have some casette tapes filled with games for my ancient Atari 800 XL, which I still have hidden behind the couch. I'm wondering if they'd be still readable.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:33 PM   #26
al shabbray

cassettes are sturdy as hell.
I think all those old formats are pretty tolerant to corrupt data because they arent written that dense like Dvds or bluerays.
its like:
compared to:

if you got a scratch or a corrupt something with the size of:
-----

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:38 PM   #27
sarramkrop

Some major record labels used to give promo cartridges of their albums to journalists in the 70's. That's another format I like, as well as minidisc. I'm kind of sad the minidisc disappeared.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:39 PM   #28
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, minidiscs were very interesting. Portable, small and had this cool artwork on them.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:42 PM   #29
sarramkrop

Slavo, start the usb pen scene.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:44 PM   #30
al shabbray

exactly!If I had to choose my favourite media format, it would be minidisc. it got a pretty good sound quality plus a kickass design. I really like the size of it and that it looks like the most dansome disk ever made.
My MD player is still my allday mobile music source.
also the editing, renaming, etc. features are great.
it hasnt disappear completely, sony introduced the Hi_MD format one or two years ago. they are looking almost the same, got a storage capacity of 1GB and are playing all old MDs too. (and they get rid of that stupid only one way data transfer limitation (Sony))

I think there was a time where musicalbums were sold on MDs parallel to Cds, only in japan I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Slavo, start the usb pen scene.

in germany the Hip Hop Artist "Kool Savas" released an album on SD Flash Cards
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:46 PM   #31
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
How about the demoscene? That's the impression I got when I read this title.
Old 01.16.2009, 04:48 PM   #32
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
A lot of the drum & bass scene in the 90s was totally built around DATs. I remember spending a fortune on a DAT recorder, about a week before the format became almost totally obsolete with the introduction of CD-Rs. I still have loads of tracks on DAT tapes, but nothing to play or retrieve the data stored on them.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:49 PM   #33
al shabbray

do the demoscene got any distinct kind of media?
I thought they just realease it digital or like an intro to the cracked software they cracked ?!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:57 PM   #34
sarramkrop

One thing i also always liked about these formats is the fact that the artwork and packaging is more open to the imagination. I never liked how the artwork is packaged in virtually all CDs. Vinyl is a different story.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:58 PM   #35
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
A lot of the drum & bass scene in the 90s was totally built around DATs. I remember spending a fortune on a DAT recorder, about a week before the format became almost totally obsolete with the introduction of CD-Rs. I still have loads of tracks on DAT tapes, but nothing to play or retrieve the data stored on them.

If you've got a recorder, you've probably got an out - if you've got an out, you can probably get an out>USB. Innit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:59 PM   #36
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray

in germany the Hip Hop Artist "Kool Savas" released an album on SD Flash Cards
that's interesting. again.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:59 PM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
adapters adapters adapters
Old 01.16.2009, 05:01 PM   #38
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
adapters adapters adapters
stereo cables stereo cables and yes adapters.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 05:01 PM   #39
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Weirdness for the sake of weirdness. At its core: dumb.
Novel and amusing, but dumb.

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 05:02 PM   #40
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
let us develop the cardcore scene
where artists only release their music via punched cards
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth