Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page How is this Recession Likely to Affect You?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.23.2009, 02:24 PM   #21
sarramkrop

Business has been better than ever for the company I work for, then again it's mostly rich people who go to the theatre, and they contribute with the pound to its staying open. That could change. The company also started making people redundant before the recession. We'll see.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2009, 02:31 PM   #22
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i thought publishing was supposed to be fairly recession proof as people tend to stay in more and things like books and dvd sales are relatively stable?
i work at a film pr company and the home entertainment team have more work now than ever, not sure how safe my job is, i'm also looking for a new one at the moment too.

A lot of the retailers are going under - there are less places to sell our stuff. It makes it harder to make money.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2009, 02:35 PM   #23
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
They just laid off people at work.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2009, 02:56 PM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangajunky
Media Blasters aka
Anime Works/Tokyo Shock/Kitty Media/Rare Flix/Fever Dreams/Alteil

aka "Half of atsonicpark's movie collection"

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2009, 03:14 PM   #25
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
it won't .
I'm a teacher so i can't technically be made redundant unless i do something awful like huh wait i was gonna make a joke and i'm not supposed to.
anyway just like anyone i can feel prices go up and "sinistrose" just about anywhere. Businesses closing down and all.
So yeah i'm just watching the world falling apart; the only thing i can do to be useful is tell the kids not to waste their teenage life and start building their (no) future NOW; watch the news and be aware of what the world is like or at least be educated enough to make the right decisions when they have to.
Pretty abstract right now.
Old 01.23.2009, 03:50 PM   #26
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Business has been better than ever for the company I work for, then again it's mostly rich people who go to the theatre, and they contribute with the pound to its staying open. That could change. The company also started making people redundant before the recession. We'll see.

I imagine the problem your company faces is more from the prospect of cuts in government funding than from a lack of paying customers in that I imagine its still quite heavily subsidised.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2009, 03:58 PM   #27
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Oddly, I might be in a slightly better financial situation than before. At least from perspective of job security. Worries last fall led me to make haste to the prospective employers, and I now am on the payroll of the university here. I have a fairly okay check streaming into my checking account now every two weeks--whereas before I was depending on the drip-by-drip income of the freelance writer, and the drips were getting slower and slower!

Nevertheless, I'll eel a lot more guilty now when I spend my money on the inevitable frivolities like beer, Long Island Iced Teas, Starbucks coffee, J. Crew Final Sale items, and overpriced 180-gram LP reissues.

Oh, yeah, and my TIAA/CREF stock-based retirement fund is, like, disappearing. What's up with that?
Old 01.23.2009, 04:01 PM   #28
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I imagine the problem your company faces is more from the prospect of cuts in government funding than from a lack of paying customers in that I imagine its still quite heavily subsidised.

Not anymore. It's been over a year, I think, since the council cut funds to 56 art organisations. I'm all for it, even if it means I might lose my job, at one point.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2009, 04:04 PM   #29
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Nice thing about my job is that while it's on the U campus, it's actually funded not by the state or by the U but by a fat cat journal association.
Old 01.23.2009, 04:18 PM   #30
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going to hit the streets and hop trains as another drifter in a new lost generation.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2009, 04:46 PM   #31
█████████
expwy. to yr skull

█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses
i stopped working and went to college before the blood started to flow.
i still have some savings and there's no sign of decrease of precarious job offers.
i guess i will be ok.
█████████ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2009, 05:44 AM   #32
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
it won't .
I'm a teacher so i can't technically be made redundant unless i do something awful like huh wait i was gonna make a joke and i'm not supposed to.
anyway just like anyone i can feel prices go up and "sinistrose" just about anywhere. Businesses closing down and all.
So yeah i'm just watching the world falling apart; the only thing i can do to be useful is tell the kids not to waste their teenage life and start building their (no) future NOW; watch the news and be aware of what the world is like or at least be educated enough to make the right decisions when they have to.
Pretty abstract right now.
Almost the same for me.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2009, 06:08 AM   #33
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
i'm still studying, but i guess it might get harder to find work as an illustrator when i finish my studies. i'll be in school for at least two more years though, so don't have to wory too much yet.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2009, 06:12 AM   #34
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
prob have to stop buying so much snacks for when im too stoned and playing ps3 on my hi def telly
Old 01.26.2009, 06:21 AM   #35
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
second
Old 01.26.2009, 06:25 AM   #36
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
hmmm.. back to school maybe?
Old 01.26.2009, 08:33 AM   #37
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i'm vaguely thinking about joining the army
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2009, 08:43 AM   #38
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangajunky
A lot of the retailers are going under - there are less places to sell our stuff. It makes it harder to make money.

i take it online sales don't balance this out then?
Old 01.26.2009, 08:51 AM   #39
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
although it's been said that the recession won't affect our economy as bad as our neigboring countries (Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary, to be exact) because we adopted Euro as our new currency starting January 1st, first signs of what's happening tell me it's gonna be way worse than expected. People are getting sacked from big companies (such as US Steel, Volkswagen, KIA etc.), unemployement rises and it's much harder to get a loan or mortgage these days in the bank.
As far as my job, I can say I'm pretty safe because our agency still has many assignments and frankly, I don't believe advertising spends will decrease significantly in comparsion to last year. So, I'm not really afraid of losing my job or something.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2009, 09:01 AM   #40
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
^ as what?

anything. it's mainly because it's an easy way to find a job (and i'm currently trapped in a pit of despair regarding work), plus it's physical work, and i would travel. on the downside i don't want to have to fight in any wars that i disagree with (i.e. most wars) and also i imagine most army dudes would be kind of not the type of people i would find it easy to get along with... not that i particulalrly find any type of people easy to get along with, but still.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth