Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page quitting smoking
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.07.2010, 11:17 AM   #21
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
it's kind of the same for a compulsive eater, a cutter, all of those.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 11:38 AM   #22
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
The tendancy to over eat is much harder to overcome than many under stand.

I initially read this as "The tendancy to eat is much harder to overcome than many under stand." and was going to point you at a source which "teaches" one to live off sunlight - Breatharianism.

Cmon guys! Lets go photosynthesize for a bit!

Anyway, it's the brutal work from a scam / jokester named Wiley Brooks, charging anywhere between $10,000 - 1,000,000,000 for his living off sunlight courses.

http://www.breatharian.com/
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 12:25 PM   #23
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
just quit and don't make a big deal out of, tonnes of fat.lazy and semi-retarded morons have quit smoking, do you really want to fail at something than any old jackass can do?
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 12:29 PM   #24
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
someone on here was talking about how this was the best decision of their life or something. i want to know what it feels like say 6 months down the line, do you start to feel strongly different health wise?

i've put myself thru absolute fucking torture with cigs, ive been a VERY heavy smoker for years, i started at about 14 and will easily do 40-60 if im out for a night, ive stopped intermittently recently for up to 2 months at a time but keep failing. i don't know if there is some sort of pyschological shit that i need to think through or what.

at the moment everytime i smoke its pure pain, my throat is wrecked, it feels like knives going down it. very bad, but i cant stop, or at least manage to stop and not destroy my confidene by giving in. i really really need to stop now, i live in constant fear of disease and when i breath out sometimes its like my breath is skipping like a cd, hard to explain.

i dont want to get into a whole bullshit self help you can do it if you try discussion that just rehashes the same positive encouragement cliches. but anyone with any real experience of what it feels like to quit and how to do it could probably be helpful. if i could quit and just not think about it ever again id be so happy

I quit about 6 years ago, they still smell good. Oh, well. It took me about 4 years to really feel a LOT better, but I do now. I bike 8 miles a day and work out 3 or 4 days a week, run a mile and a half, lift some light weights and stretch. I gained almost 70 pounds, but I was real skinny back then, and have lost 40 of them, so now I'm 6'2" and 210, so not too bad. If I ever get really sick, like with terminal cancer or something, I think I'll go ahead and smoke again, but not otherwise.

really, the best decision I ever made (except for not getting married to a couple of weird girls)
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 12:40 PM   #25
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
In the process of quitting again myself tough days day 3 day 7 day 14 then
3 months. Atleast from past experience. Not a heavy smoker but I've got
COPD so I really don't feel like carrying around an oxygen bottle in five years.

So right now that's my memory trigger think of the oxygen bottle and the desire goes away......
Old 01.07.2010, 12:41 PM   #26
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
just quit and don't make a big deal out of, tonnes of fat.lazy and semi-retarded morons have quit smoking, do you really want to fail at something than any old jackass can do?
yr insight on addiction is enlightening.

see also: "cool story, bro"
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 12:42 PM   #27
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
yeah i definitly feel i have some sort of chemical imbalance
can you explain more about this?

see, if think this is going to fuck you up here, i mean if you went to the psych. and they told you that you had an imbalance that specifically relates to smoking, that's one thing,and they could help you with that. but just assuming you're unable to quit smoking on yr own is self sabotage and a total copout
Old 01.07.2010, 12:43 PM   #28
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
yr insight on addiction is enlightening.

see also: "cool story, bro"

it's true, if nik wants wants to quit smoking so badly and he can't even do it, he's basically a pseud or something

there's no insight needed,a fuck of alot of people stop smoking
Old 01.07.2010, 01:07 PM   #29
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
have you quit smoking?
Old 01.07.2010, 01:14 PM   #30
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Have you tried just weening off them slowly instead of cold turkey? Try cutting down to about 6 or 7 a day. Once your body gets used to it you can try having 1-3 a day. Then just simply stop. When you go two months without then have one again, do you zip back up to smoking 20-40? or do you have a few and it just snowballs back up?

I only have about 1-3 a day and can barely even stomach having more than 6 in one day.

"Quitting smoking is easy! I've done it 12 times!"
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 01:19 PM   #31
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

i'm not sure, i smoked really heavily until a month ago when i moved back here, i still smoke in theory but cigs are stupid expensive and there's no where to actually smoke.

so i guess when it comes down to it i still smoke but just don't actually do it, if you could send cigarettes through private message i would gladly accept a donation

but you're a douche for bringing my personal life into this when millions of people smoke, i'm not really relevant considering how many people have smoke. i have known two people however who smoked heavily for more years than nik has been alive(i remember that he's a few months younger than me),it's well possible.

actually if you're having serious trouble,i can tell you how a heavy smoker for almost 40 years quit(i recommend trying conventional methods first)
he tripped and fell on his face, and his cigarette got caught in his throat, apparently he still wants to smoke but can't bring himself to do it
Old 01.07.2010, 01:22 PM   #32
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
i plan to move in a month or so and I'm going to try and give up once i'm in my new place.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 01:22 PM   #33
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
I quit about 6 years ago, they still smell good. Oh, well. It took me about 4 years to really feel a LOT better, but I do now. I bike 8 miles a day and work out 3 or 4 days a week, run a mile and a half, lift some light weights and stretch. I gained almost 70 pounds, but I was real skinny back then, and have lost 40 of them, so now I'm 6'2" and 210, so not too bad. If I ever get really sick, like with terminal cancer or something, I think I'll go ahead and smoke again, but not otherwise.

really, the best decision I ever made (except for not getting married to a couple of weird girls)
4 years... what was it like after 6 months? How long did you smoke for before you quit?
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 01:25 PM   #34
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

so I'm the douche for pointing out that yr toxic advice is not only worthless, but completely unsubstantiated in yr own life?

which is it then? are you the retard that can quit or the one that can't?

en boca cerrada, no entran moscas.
Old 01.07.2010, 01:31 PM   #35
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
so I'm the douche for pointing out that yr toxic advice is not only worthless, but completely unsubstantiated in yr own life?

which is it then? are you the retard that can quit or the one that can't?

en boca cerrada, no entran moscas.

i can quit, i don't want to, but i'd imagine being a week with no cig i'm not physically addicted

yes you are the douche

i repeat

you are the douche
Old 01.07.2010, 01:32 PM   #36
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
that's not a good reason to quit. But sometimes i feel like what else can be said apart from just fucking do it, i don't want to have to think about this shit forever. initially ages ago it was a lot harder to quit cos i thought i would somehow loose my edge or a part of my personality, it's as stupid as it sounds but that's genuinely how i felt and some other syger told me he felt the same thing when he was younger. it sounds ridiculous but it's an attitude i found to exist very strongly within me, someone on here also made a brilliant point about how when you quit a drug its hard to seperate the buzz you get from music from the buzz you get from drugs but eventually it will happen. i guess i am trying to solve whatever psychological shit i have that makes me fail at quitting. it's easy to say just do it but when you start getting those feelings and set off to get some cigs your brain is overriding all logic and the release is quite a rush.
Old 01.07.2010, 01:36 PM   #37
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

but you already have a good reason to quit, it sounds like you feel like shit as a result of smoking, that's basically what's going to happen when you stop is you'll feel bad because yr body is convinced it needs cigarettes.

did you cut down yet though? because if you're over a pack a day then it's a huge part of yr routine and that will cause you problems
Old 01.07.2010, 01:46 PM   #38
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I quit smoking cigs cold turkey. It took 6-8 weeks before all the twitchy nerves and the pangs of want went away fully. I used any time I normally had used to smoke to instead draw. I would draw out of nervous energy and eventually would forget why I was drawing and not notice the jangly nerves anymore.
It helps if you take something up to pass the time.
the hardest are those times when you used to ritually smoke, after a meal for example, or in the car on the way home from work, or after sex.

habits are programmed into our brains by ourselves.

There is a good bit of study done that shows a ratio betwene how often you do something and how long it takes for NOT doing t to feel normal.

The ratio is between 1 to 12 and 1 to 16.
a daily habit takes 12 to 16 days of not doing it to "break" the need/desire.
a weekly habit takes 12-16 weeks to break. something like that
I have talked to many ex smokers and they all say that if you can get through 3 weeks without a cig, you are 3/4 of the way to quitting for good.
Old 01.07.2010, 01:50 PM   #39
ni'k
invito al cielo

I've cut down to about 10 - 15 a day.
Old 01.07.2010, 01:53 PM   #40
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
i manage to do 1-3 a day.

I really think if you can limit yourself to 5 you'll manage no problem for now.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth