Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page three instruments you know you'll alway be partial to
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.16.2010, 07:29 PM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hm, that's good, right?

Well, I have been thinking about the "top 20 guitarists" thing on facebook... none of the guitarists I like sound anything alike, really.

That's what I think really makes the guitar an interesting instrumnet -- yeah, yeah, everyone has their own style of playing every instrument.. but with guitar, in particular, I feel like you can really have your own distinctive voice.

I should have put Agata from Melt Banana on that list, also.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2010, 07:30 PM   #22
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Really? I played it for years and gave it up when I couldn't rent one from my school anymore. My biggest regret in life is giving up that beautiful instrument.
It's about how baroque it sounds to my ears. I've enjoyed it in certain live settings, then again it was covered by other instruments or feedback so much it was hard to tell it was a clarinet playing.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2010, 07:58 PM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I really liked the clarinet until I started playing it. That ruined a lot of it for me. I'm not really any cop at it any more because I stopped practising, but I find it a bit lacking in character now. Same with the guitar, which can be great but most often isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2010, 09:11 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Messiaen delivered epic compositions built around a solo organ that is infinitely relistenable...

I saw some Messiaen last night. It was a choral recital, but they had a solo organ piece (can't remember which one it was now). It was a lovely old church organ. Was very gripping. Can't go wrong with Messiaen, you really can't.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.16.2010, 09:22 PM   #25
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
drums, piano, upright bass.

(do you really need any other instruments?)
Old 12.17.2010, 01:32 AM   #26
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
TRUMPET
because it's got the most beautiful sound.

SAMPLER
because I have one and I'm in love with it.

SYNTHS
because they do drone and I like drone

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2010, 02:52 AM   #27
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Itsīs so hard to say three. I like almost all instruments, but digital synths are not in my favour. I think bass is very important, but because some bands have made good music without it, so I must leave it away. First I was going to choose woodwinds, because strings and brass have put very good spices to rock music, but then I choose these:
Guitar: I think there is guitar in 80 % music I listen
Drums: Good drummer has always be very important to me (itīs pleasurable to listen for example Keith Moon, Mitch Mitchell, Bill Bruford, Mike Giles, Phil Collins and Neil Peart drumming although Steve Shelley is also very good basic drummer)
and the last: Mellotron!!! I havenīt heard any music there is used mellotron that isnīt great!!! Itīs just have so great sound and it couldnīt ever absolutely traced by any digital equipments.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2010, 03:00 AM   #28
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Voice: I honestly don't think I'd like the music I like nearly as much if there was no voice. It's usually what I take notice of first. I have an obsession with bands that had/have multiple vocalists - bands that share lead vocals around (SY, The Beatles), bands that have an occasional second vocalist (Rolling Stones, The Birthday Party) and bands that changed their singer (Malice Mizer).
Guitar: Same reaons other people listed, and I'm a guitarist.
Drums: I don't know why really, there's some footage of Keith Moon in the movie School of Rock, whenever I see it I think "I wish I could play like that."
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2010, 04:31 AM   #29
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
somehow the drums speak to my innerchild.
the german word "ballerburg" which loosely translates to boomcastle / noisecastle nails it for me. that archaic kind of power is what makes it undeniable powerful

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2010, 05:46 AM   #30
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
hard one.
Bass: I can't even express how much I love it. Always felt like it was "my" instrument.

violin: or cello?? I can't decide...I love both, as somebody already said, the things you can do with a violin are amazing. Cello has somehow a "deeper punch" (eh...), that hits some spots a violin doesn't (in me at least), so I guess they're a bit complementary? dunno. I suck at explaining stuff. hey Nefeli.

piano: dunno, a world in its own...I'm not much of a fan of pianists, but hell, a good piece on piano sounds like nothing else in this world. Even the more scheletric/simple things on this beast can sound powerful.

yeh yeh, lame post, I know.
I think lots of instruments just "resonate" with the listener on some pieces (other good examples, trumpet, organ, voice, etc), it's so hard to list just 3... but hell, thinking about the music you could put togheter with a piano+violin/cello+bass I think theese choices are quite good.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2010, 07:46 AM   #31
Glice
invito al cielo

Good call on the Sho. There was a piece by Toshio Hosokawa called Cloud and Light which was mostly a sho solo - well worth keeping an eye out for it, though it doesn't seem to have been recorded yet.

I'm going to add the Oud/ Ud to the list. Just the most glorious sound.

Quote:

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth