Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is this Hollywood's worst era ever?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.23.2010, 12:20 AM   #21
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Avatar and Scorsese's latest peice of shit got great reviews didn't they? I think everything works the way it should. When we look at film quality overall, I'd say we are living the dream, precisely because of the deadbrained Hollywood output.

Edit: OK I was drunk, but I really do think Independant flourishes when Hollywood insults audiences, wether audiences know it or not.

OK, I'm still drunk. NVM.
Old 12.25.2010, 07:54 AM   #22
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Hollywood used to have several distinctive aesthetics at work all at once, even if there was always a dominant one on top. Now if I think about many of its actors I find it hard to distinguish them because of lack of character, insipid interviews, elegant but hardly memorable dress sense. The videogame reference is interesting because the advent of the DVD and all these often useless extras encourage the viewer to interact with the movie, which is pointless if you really want to make an artistic statement. I'm more or less with David Lynch on that one.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2010, 08:01 PM   #23
mindbomb
little trouble girl

mindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's asses
On Hollywood I get a sense that more recent films in the past several years lack interesting purist qualities. Love and other Drugs for example has a protaganist that comes across as a complete phony with a false sense of what real emotional ideals are. This continues with films that measure value on technological wizardry rather then making something that has a realism to it. That may be what people want as our society is more fabricated and pushes a false sense of ideals.
Not to fear though, there still are some pretty decent if not at least fair movies out there to come. Natalie Portman tends to make pretty good films of which Thor will be one in 2011. Also, in 2011 we'll see The Green Lantern and The Green Hornet. Plus there will be other comic book movies. Honestly, if at least a couple of these turn out somehow I'll be impressed.

On another note: One of the bigger problems I'm having though is watching television. Whenever I watch any latenight television like Leno, Conan, or Letterman it just seems like the interviewer just wants to intimidate the guest somehow. Like a fights about to break out or something? I feel the same way about Dr.Oz on daytime tv. He can be frustrating to watch while being somewhat informative. Overall it leaves a bad taste in my mouth which is partly why I'm canceling my tv for the New Year.

Happy New Years!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth