Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what do you think of zoos?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.11.2010, 09:26 AM   #21
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
what do you think of zoos?

- they smell bad.
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2010, 08:53 PM   #22
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...nt_9576759.htm

SHENYANG - A total of 11 Siberian tigers have died over the past 3 months in a zoo in northeast China's Liaoning Province, local animal protection officials said Thursday.

All the tigers were from Shenyang Forest Wild Animal Zoo in the provincial capital.

The tigers died due to malnutrition rather than infectious diseases, said Liu Xiaoqiang, vice chief of the Shenyang Wild Animal Protection Station.

The zoo only fed the tigers on cheap chicken bones since the zoo was not doing very well financially, Liu said.

Two hungry tigers from the zoo mauled a zoo worker in Nov, 2009. The worker was seriously injured but survived the attack.

The two tigers were shot dead in the rescue.

A total of 13 Siberian tigers have died in the zoo since Nov, 2009. The zoo has over 20 Siberian tigers left.

After the incident, Shenyang Administration of Work Safety asked the zoo to keep the tigers in cages, which further undermined their health, Liu said.

Since November, Shenyang Qipanshan Administration Committee has been providing the zoo with appropriate feed worth of 18,000 yuan ($2,636) a day. But many tigers already had intestinal infections or kidney failure caused by the lack of food and died later.

The number of tigers in the zoo has dropped by half in a decade, from 1,020 of 61 subspecies in 2000 to 518 of 49 subspecies in 2010.

The zoo is mainly privately owned with the Shenyang Municipal Government having 15 percent of the share.

"Many privately-owned zoos were under financial pressure, and most of them fail to feed the animals well," said Liu.

Another privately-owned zoo in Shenyang, Guaipo Tigers Zoo, has over 30 Siberian tigers. But in winter when tourists are scarce, it has to buy tiger feed on credit and pay the suppliers back in the peak of the tourist season.

As for regulating the privately-owned zoos, there were legal loopholes which made enforcement of the regulations impossible, said Liu.

"Wild Animal Protection Law" does not provide for any punishment for irresponsible zoo owners who abuse the animals.

In addition, "Property Law" stipulates that zoo owners have the right to keep animals and animal protection authorities have no right to interfere, said Liu.

The Siberian tiger, an engendered species, is a subspecies of tiger which once ranged throughout western, central Asia and eastern Russia. It is estimated that the number of wide Siberian tigers is now between 350 and 450 worldwide.

China has around 20 wild Siberian tigers, among which 10 to 14 are in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province and eight to 10 are in its neighboring Jilin Province.

China established a breeding base for the Siberian tigers in Heilongjiang in 1986 and the number of captive tigers has increased from eight to more than 800 currently.

The global wild tiger population is estimated to be at an all-time low of 3,200, down from an estimated 20,000 in the 1980s and 100,000 a century ago.
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2010, 12:35 AM   #23
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses

m1rr0r dash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2010, 01:08 AM   #24
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i love the dc zoo and the large feline pit

also: the batcave-- awesome

they use to have pandas-- fuck them, oversized stuffed animals
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2010, 02:10 AM   #25
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i guess some are trying to re populate species and genuinely care for animals. i went to one in east germany and that put me off them for life.

if they where like this it would be great:

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2010, 02:32 AM   #26
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I'm not exactly against them, but I avoid them because I always come out kinda depressed. I really don't think some of the animals mind their situation, but the primate exhibits and large marine animal exhibits always get me down.
Also, there was a polar bear who seemed particularly dejected that always got to me at a local zoo. I do think most people who work in zoos have a genuine love for their job and for animals though.

The polar bear always made me sad as well. The zoos in minneapolis are both pretty awful.
Old 03.12.2010, 06:06 AM   #27
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
never meet a zoo I didn't like. Memphis Zoo is up there w/ my local Audubon Zoo, N.O. Both great. I went to the Memphis zoo in the summer and the landscaping was unbelievable.... seeing the pandas was a treat too

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2010, 06:13 AM   #28
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
I won't disagree about some species looking dejected in their exhibits.... but maybe you don't understand that those animals, even if encountered in the wild are still like 99% lethargic and lazy, especially the big cats & bears.

If they were't there, they would be out in the wild.... or like the Polar Bears, out on cold, barren, blustery glaciers laying around..... looking dejected. They are more pampered and well fed there than they would be in nature. I know it goes against their nature to be caged and not have to fend for themselves, but I think they don't really care considering.

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2010, 09:20 AM   #29
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
The Jacksonville Zoo is great. It is like Animal Kingdom in Disney only it costs $10 to get in versus $75. They really do a great job of making the habitats for the animals as natural as possible. I love the caves withe big glass windows on ground level so it is like you are standing there with the lions.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2010, 02:31 PM   #30
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Zoos depress me. Like prison films. Cages as entertainment....
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth