Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page question for people who buy too many records
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.07.2006, 09:05 AM   #21
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o o o
There is a song on Quasimoto’s second album that goes:

"If I could, I’d buy records every day of the week / But then I’d have no money for when I’m with my freak"

An ex-girlfriend of mine used to make me feel bad about buying too many records. We would have conversations like this:

- Hey, where did you just go?
- Hmmm… to the record store…
- Again? Did you buy something?
- Erm… yes.
- What? How many records did you buy this time?
- Well… ok, three… but two of them were really cheap!... and the other one, it's quite rare and I was looking for it for a long time!
(she then looked at me sort of upset, and as if I am crazy)

I thought for a moment that i would start buying records secretly and lying to her...

It floors me that so many girlfriends and wives don't understand there are priorities in life.
Old 09.07.2006, 09:08 AM   #22
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I find it's easier to get obsessed over LPs than CDs. I worry I'll never see that "rare" LP again, but I'm always sure there will be a CD copy around. This hasn't always been the case, of course. Impossible to find the Feelies catalog on CD or LP these days, for example.
Old 09.07.2006, 09:13 AM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
wait till you have to shell out $1000.00 a month in mortgage payments and that will curb yr vinyl shopping! ha ha!

that's what happened to me!

I fucking love records.
Old 09.07.2006, 09:13 AM   #24
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
A topic I find endlessly fascinating. I always want to know how people manage this, too. In fact, I started a thread a few days ago called "Your music collecting habits". Sorry, I don't know how to link to it, duh.

Anyway, I'll quote one of my posts to that thread. I found the link contained within very enlightening:

"This article is too funny! Maybe mostly cuz I've almost crossed that line... (How many freaking double copies do I think I can accumulate in one lifetime...?!)

I especially like the advice under #7 at the bottom of the page:

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articl...rd-licking.htm

'What seperates the freakish collector from the monster that is the Licker can be summed up in one word: proportion. Understand your place in this world, and understand the impossibility of ever comprehensively knowing all there is to know about even one genre of music, and you should make out OK. There is no need to panic, to paw, to obsess, or even to collect. Like what you like, love what you love, and track down one or two rare things if need be. But please, stay away from eBay. No piece of vinyl is worth getting in a bidding war over. Especially not with the Japanese—they will defeat you. And for Christ's sake, please put the records away once in a while and go outside. There's a whole world out there that has nothing to do with dusty old crates of secondhand records, or even shiny new CDs.' "

Brilliant! Now, I truley understand what it's like to be a vinyl junkie "monster".
Nice read. Thanks.
Old 09.07.2006, 09:31 AM   #25
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
wait till you have to shell out $1000.00 a month in mortgage payments and that will curb yr vinyl shopping! ha ha!

that's what happened to me!

I fucking love records.

Been there! Went for years and years without buying a thing due to tight finances. I still probably spend more than I should, but I put it in context: I spend a nominal amount of cash on one haircut every six weeks or so (talking around 15 bucks) whilst my loved one can spend a couple hundred in the same time period (it's insane!); I spend little on clothes whilst et cetera; and NOTHING gasp on my nails whilst et cetera... So by comparison my indulgence of a $15 LP every couple of weeks or so is pretty cheap...
Old 09.07.2006, 09:40 AM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Binge and purge here. I tend to limit myself to bands/ composers I don't know anything about, which means I'm very frugal with 'world' and classical stuff, but very limiting on myself when it comes to guitar/ Anglo-American stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2006, 09:43 AM   #27
gmku
invito al cielo

I use two tactics:

1. Try not to pass up that "rare" LP that magically shows up one day. (My definition of "rare" is really just anything on my list that I haven't seen on LP for a while--could be something as mundane as a nice reissue of Loaded or something as esoteric as an original vinyl pressing of Daydream Nation. Yes, I keep a list of these things.)

2. Focus on bands/artists I'm currently keen about.

3. Avoid new releases unless I've heard them.
Old 09.07.2006, 09:56 AM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
One very good technique - Charity shop records are as cheap as words. If you don't like them, you feel good taking them back. If you do like them, you've made a killing.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.23.2007, 10:12 AM   #29
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
porksta knows the crak. get music for free. get high for cash. when can i download coke? soon
I whish you could download alcohol and then burn it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2007, 10:58 AM   #30
gmku
invito al cielo

Might as well ask a junkie how to stop using junk.

The best I can do is control the habit by limiting when and where I go to look for records. I try not to walk into a record store more than twice a week. This is very difficult since I work just around the corner from a great independent record store. I also stick to one store. If they don't have what I'm looking for, don't go searching for it in other stores in the area or online--kind of with the philosophy that if it's not there, it's not meant to be. The flipside of this thinking--and one I fall prey to quickly--is, okay, so that's not meant to be, but oh, look, here's something else that looks really great, so this is what's meant to be.

Yeah. Addiction. It's a thorny subject.
Old 05.23.2007, 11:51 AM   #31
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It's about the same volume-wise. The only difference is a willingness to spend a lot more money on a single LP as I have gotten older.

that is exactly true. I despise paying too much. However I would surely pay $25 for something special today which I would not ahve done 10 years ago.
Old 05.23.2007, 11:55 AM   #32
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I lov evinyl records.
I try to limit it to bands I know already. I do not buy vinyl just to "check a band out"
for that I will buy a used CD.
Old 05.23.2007, 11:57 AM   #33
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I need to start buying more records.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2007, 12:02 PM   #34
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
how do you stop yourself buying too many records? do you have rules you set yourself? or do you not think that it matters?

have you stuck to your plan of only buying 7"s this year? or did you start veering off course any?
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2007, 03:39 PM   #35
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i veered off course buy now i'm back on again
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2007, 04:14 PM   #36
Glice
invito al cielo

Mr & B: You live with a record store clerk. As do I. And he keeps finding things for me. Which is detrimental to my wallet in some fashions, but also good because I tell him to get things and he gets them, rather than I wander in, get the record (at full price) and buy other things (at full price).

Luckily, there's a dearth of vinyl shops round here, but I did find a Sunday market with an absurd amount of stuff on Sunday. 20 quid, 11 LPs though, I'm quite pleased.

Edit: Urr, I meant to ask some asinine question about something. Insert bollocks here etc.

Quote:
Old 05.23.2007, 06:19 PM   #37
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
You guys are fucking lucky to live with a "record store clerk".
Old 05.23.2007, 08:27 PM   #38
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i worked in record stores for six years and i would spend all of my pay except for rent and food. now i spend all of my pay except for rent and food and $100 bucks to go out and party and $200 bucks for my savings to go overseas again and again and buy records in other countries.....
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2007, 08:31 PM   #39
gmku
invito al cielo

It's going to take considerable restraint when I open my store not to buy all my inventory myself. At the same time, maybe it will be like living with a really large collection that eventually somebody else will pay for--even though then I won't have it anymore. ah, the rub.
Old 05.23.2007, 08:38 PM   #40
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't baughten a cd is so long.
I've been fixing my bike, plus I don't have any money so that doesn't help.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth