Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Philosophical Question: Art
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.10.2006, 07:10 PM   #21
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Cage wrote classical music. Spears is a singer not a song writer.

I tend to think of the philosophy of music to be the thoughts about how music affects us as a culture, physically, emotionally and mentally. This has nothing to do with the distinction between the high and low arts. Rather it posits that there is no distinction and that music (without words) is one of the most primal forms of communication. How does music affect us emotionally and why does it do this? How can a group of sounds and / or a series of sounds effect our emotions so instantaneously.

Take Cage's 4'33" for example. When this was performed for the first time some people were angered others were enlightened. Those angered believed that is was not music at all, how can silence be music. But using silence in the way Cage did created an emotive reaction whether the people new this or not.

Britney Spears' music elicits joy in some while in others it elicits anger and disgust.

If musicians are not aware of what music can do, the music will still create some sort of emotional response.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2006, 07:25 PM   #22
jheii
bad moon rising

jheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's asses
Well I believe the question, which had little to do with the credibility of Britney Spears or John Cage was whether or not one can any longer make a distinction between high and low art, and I think that the answer is: no. No definitive conclusion can be reached. I think now the standard of judgement is relative to audience: who is the art for, in what way does it appeal to them while simultaneously proving that it has a right to exist, etc. I know that last statement requires a bit more explanation but I, honestly, do not have time to offer one right now.
Old 09.10.2006, 07:50 PM   #23
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The formal error in SpectralJulianIsNotDead's logical argument is begging the question, petitio principii. He establishes the circular reasoning with the half-question, half-statement "Even though we can never know for sure what the artist's true intention was?"
If intention is not revealed by action, (bear in mind that some intentions require more extensive investigation than others & that some actions are not what they at first appear to be) then how are we as humans (who experience the world primarily empirically) to understand the world around us?
He knows this to be true himself, but thought that his topic may engender some debate about the nature of art as a by-product.

On a related note, just because astrophysics proves that our measurement of time is arbitrary, one can still not deny that astrophysics proves that time is a dimension save maybe on some metaphysical level where time & eternity bleed into one.

His argument would be somewhat better served if he had chosen Mariah Carey instead of Britney Spears, because Mariah supposedly writes her own lyrics.

jheii, there are plenty of valid points of differentiation between high & low art, between fine & graphic art & so forth. It's just that the line has been blurred by self-serving artists & a self-serving art crowd and also a myriad of other societal determinants in consumer culture.

And I don't have the time either. I'm determined to watch Sunday Night Football.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2006, 10:50 PM   #24
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
The Giants last drive just seemed so anti climactic to me. Almost sad.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2006, 10:55 PM   #25
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
They're not as good as the Colts in the hurry-up or endgame drill, that's for sure.

Coughlin is never gonna let them forget it all next week either. He's a real hard-ass.

It was a good one though.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2006, 10:39 AM   #26
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Is it possible for something to be unquestionably high art or unquestionably low art since the advent of post-modernism?

Even though we can never know for sure what the artist's true intention was?

John Cage could have been lying about his music just to make it more popular in the avant-garde community. Perhaps he really set out to make pop-music but failed miserably.

Perhaps Britney Spears whole persona is very high art on her part and she is really a genious making an avant-garde piece of art- herself, the annoying pop artist.

1. In order for something to be considered "high-art"(for lack of better term), it has to be accepted by it's peers and majority in the art community, specifically galleries. I could only assume that "low-art" would be the rejection of art in acceptance of majority in the gallery art community. It was that way with dadaist and it's that way today. Art is always going to be questioned, so it's impossible for any art to be "unquestionable".

2. Cage had method & reasoning behind his music(use of serialism, i-ching, and various formulas, etc.). Pop music is music that is generally accepted by popular culture or most of the people. Not many Americans were into i-ching and serialism, so nah, i don't think he was just bad at making "pop music"...i think he made music to make people question "why", just like duchamp. we all know cage's reasoning and intentions, he's always explained why. avant garde is there to keep people questioning art. in order for Britney Spears to be considered "high-art", she'd have to be accepted by majority of artists, especially galleries and art dealers that determine the value of her work(they are, in the end, the ones who deems certain art as "high-art").

because the art community, galleries, and art dealers have never held her work publicly as credible or valuable, brittany spears isn't considered "high art". if britney spears is trying to be "avant garde", she's not doing a very good job cuz she's not doing anything that is questioning what is pop music because she's done very well at having her music be considered "pop" without question.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth