Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page question about the Swans
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.23.2013, 12:34 AM   #41
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Swans probably are largely responsible for the whole beardo dark folk garbage going on now. That said, they're a decent band. Lots of hipsters do happen to like them, though. But then again, tons of hipsters like Sonic Youth. Damn hipsters.

Just fuck the bicycles on the sidewalk hipsters. Keep 'em over into the street where they belong.
Old 05.23.2013, 12:40 AM   #42
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Swans probably are largely responsible for the whole beardo dark folk garbage going on now. That said, they're a decent band. Lots of hipsters do happen to like them, though. But then again, tons of hipsters like Sonic Youth. Damn hipsters.

Just fuck the bicycles on the sidewalk hipsters. Keep 'em over into the street where they belong.

Haha... in LA its actually the opposite, only hipsters ride their bike in the street and even us like the turn lane in the middle of traffic. The rest of us rudely cruise the sidewalks Angelino stylee..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2013, 12:43 AM   #43
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Haha... in LA its actually the opposite, only hipsters ride their bike in the street and even us like the turn lane in the middle of traffic. The rest of us rudely cruise the sidewalks Angelino stylee..

Yeah, I just hate bikes on the sidewalks with a passion. Unless it's little kids, of course. Just a grown man (or woman...) has no business riding a bike down the sidewalk. If it's two am and basically no one is out I'll give 'em a pass. That's it though.
Old 05.23.2013, 12:48 AM   #44
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I rode my bike on the sidewalk because it was the only way not to get fucking hit by a car (which happened to me twice).. even the mayor had to get his elbow surgically repaired after getting hit by a car riding his bike, on ride your bike to work week no less!!

Old 05.23.2013, 12:51 AM   #45
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I rode my bike on the sidewalk because it was the only way not to get fucking hit by a car (which happened to me twice).. even the mayor had to get his elbow surgically repaired after getting hit by a car riding his bike, on ride your bike to work week no less!!

Well it's a hazard for those, like myself, that don't mind walking. They call them the sideWALKS for a reason, dude.
Old 05.23.2013, 12:55 AM   #46
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

In other words, I should NEVER be expected to get out of the way for some dickwad riding his bike down the sidewalk. I shouldn't have to check when I leave a store to make sure someone isn't flying down the sidewalk. Since living here in Chi, I've almost been hit by bikes on the sidewalk on three occassions. ON several more, I've had them ask me (sometimes politely, sometimes not) to move out of their way. I typically do not...again, unless it's little kids.
Old 05.23.2013, 08:25 AM   #47
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Think for yourself, you'll be better for it. Why do you give a fuck what someone[s friend think so ofy ou?

lol honey. if you had read 'i dont care' in post.
i think way too much and that has been my problem, in terms that i dont have good times.

anyway, many here will agree that it is unfair for us to do what we dont want to be done to us: to stereotype and associate style in people with what music they look like they are listening to.
on the other hand, many times that is the case as well.

basically, it isnt an important issue.
it just seemed pretty peculiar and unreal to me for such an idea about the swans to be floating around.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2013, 08:27 AM   #48
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trama
I think you should mention this to Michael.

Make some repairs about the sound too.

if i had known about it, yeah. i had my chance; my friend who works with gig organizers made me act as a groopie after the gig: i gave Gira his beer.
and left. true and boring story.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2013, 08:31 AM   #49
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
I find it so disheartening that someone would think of swans as a hipster band, they fucking destroy hipsters. perfect example: atp I'll be your mirror, london 2011, swans were playing on the same day as beach house, whose fans had been obliterated by stephen o'malley and allan moore. the hipster dicks literally went running for the exits for both acts, the grimaces were hilarious. same thing at mbv. that's the thing I hate, though, as someone said here. the fact that they go and post about it on facebook as if it was some great test of credibility nauseates me, those attempts to seem outré really grate on me.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2013, 10:45 AM   #50
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
its funny because i when i read peoples posts in this thread wearing the glasses from they live it says:

i am real

i am an authentic consumer

hipsters are just simulacra. they are not individuals. i hate them. i am an individual. i posses a self.

i am real

i am an individual

i do it right

i am not self conscious

i am enjoying life

i am real
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2013, 11:09 AM   #51
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
as i firgure, there was actually a time when 'Hipster' wasnt a derogatory term. i clearly remember hearing that word being thrown around in the late 90's, but it was very rare. then Pitchfork comes along...........and at it's peak(2004,2005),.... hipster becomes a dirty word to describe rich well-off kids who are "in the know" with underground music culture and arts. not to mention their overblown exaggerated thrift store attire fashion sense.

don't most hispters listen to hip hop and dance music these days anyway? i don't have a clue.

Hipsters who listen to hip hop are commonly referred to as "wiggas".
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2013, 11:16 AM   #52
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
In other words, I should NEVER be expected to get out of the way for some dickwad riding his bike down the sidewalk. I shouldn't have to check when I leave a store to make sure someone isn't flying down the sidewalk. Since living here in Chi, I've almost been hit by bikes on the sidewalk on three occassions. ON several more, I've had them ask me (sometimes politely, sometimes not) to move out of their way. I typically do not...again, unless it's little kids.

People who ride their bikes on the pavement are arrogant cunts worthy of a severe baseball bat beating, unless they're kids, obviously.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2013, 11:24 AM   #53
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Commuter cyclists are a real pet hate of mine, whether they're on the road or the pavement. Ex smokers on wheels.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2013, 01:08 PM   #54
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
People who ride their bikes on the pavement are arrogant cunts worthy of a severe baseball bat beating, unless they're kids, obviously.

You car driving fuckers sure are nice. Now I see why y'all always hit us with your cars when we do dare to ride in the street, because y'all are a bunch of sadistic fucks! Go green fuckers, your car culture is destroying us all with toxic gases (and I ain't talking about global warming, I'm talking about cancer) and mass-market consumerism. If everybody took the bus and train then what? How would y'all self-actualize through your cars? How cool will you be then? Who will have the baseball bat swinging advantage in the long run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
its funny because i when i read peoples posts in this thread wearing the glasses from they live it says:

i am real

i am an authentic consumer

hipsters are just simulacra. they are not individuals. i hate them. i am an individual. i posses a self.

i am real

i am an individual

i do it right

i am not self conscious

i am enjoying life

i am real

gast is that you?

Old 05.23.2013, 01:57 PM   #55
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

gast is that you?

yes it is me, i am grast

what is the one sin that cannot be forgiven?

rejecting the holy spirit

i am that sinner

zoom in and out and bicycle
Old 05.23.2013, 02:42 PM   #56
dale_gribble
100%

dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Since living here in Chi, I've almost been hit by bikes on the sidewalk on three occassions.

really? i only ever see those fuck sticks riding in the street. in any case they're usually annoying, not because they're riding bikes but because they don't know how to do it properly. fortunately i deal with them solely on the northside as the only few people who ride bikes in my neighborhood are old drunks or kids haha.

dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2013, 07:08 PM   #57
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

And even when they're on the street they're still assholes. The road is also for cars....and they should also acknowledge that and ALSO follows the roads of the road. anyways....If yer an asshole on the road and I'm also on the road....prepare yoself.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2013, 07:22 AM   #58
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I think a "hipster" is merely an idea or a stereotype of a person and in real life they're very rare.
I don't think I've ever seen or met someone who fits in the general consensus of a hipster.

On a more pragmatic level it's just a tag for a consumer group. A young brand conscious lot just like yuppies (the difference being that the "brands" can be cultural items in addition to corporate trademarks).
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2013, 08:07 AM   #59
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

hey guys, guess what, im not a hipster even though I know what they are, which is evidenced by this list of references:

REFERENCE. REFERENCE.

i am just an authentic consumer artist, a self deprecating kind of guy, i hate pitchfork but not in a non ironic way like some ironic irony hipster. when i look in the mirror i see a person not just a black space

thanks guys. www.myspace.com
Old 05.27.2013, 08:20 AM   #60
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
who the fuck remembers going to the record store over a decade ago and reading this shit and cringing like you just walked onto a dog turd?

Do you want to know what a hipster in Glasgow talks about?

The hipsters in Glasgow stay up until all hours discussing Biblical matters. that is how they greet the dawn in spring. But they still get up four hours later to see how their private world is affected by commerce and necessity.

The hipsters in Hillhead stya up to talk about Jesus, and how he felt about hipsters. All conjecture you must understand, because the straights that wrote the bible pretty much passed over it.

But Jesus thought about them because he thought about all things. If all he said and did was written, then there would be no volume large enough to contain all the detail.

So they ponder in dialect. And the dawn creeps up on them, reminding them to go to sleep for a few hours. Hopefully, the feeling they had on shutting their eyes is the feeling that will persist until nine. For it is then that their youthful ideals will be put to the test. When they come up against the commercial world and the awakening activity of everyday life.

The hipsters will stay up to talk about things that concern them. When they wake up, they will weave their path through people shopping, signing on, visiting hospitals and cutting back grass. Though really it is not fair to call them hipsters, because that is still a slur.

With fondness, I think about the hipsters beavering away in coolness. Because I’m looking upon a framed picture of where they live. It’s one of my favourite pictures, and the change of season doesn’t change the overall effect too much. The leaves are not on teh trees, but the colour of the sandstone is pretty enough. It seems grey and quiet in the picture, but I know for a fact there are a thousand Saturday meals being made and a thousand Saturday plans being hatched to drink and be senseless. Till the gentle tug of the working week brings sense to bear.

---

This shit couldn't have been ironic, but if it was it flew waaaaaay past me.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth