Working 15 41.67%
Middle 15 41.67%
Upper 3 8.33%
Classless 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05.25.2007, 06:07 PM   #41
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
Who tells you that and why are you listening to such blatant lies?

i think the point of this "classless" society is not that there aren't inequalities and stratification, but that having broken the mold of industrial societies people don't fit the old molds.

it used to be that working class you worked in a factory, middle class you were the management, and upper class you were the owner. nowadays? there are the mega-rich, the ultra-poor, and the mess in between. where does one belong is difficult to know.

i for example make less money than a skilled factory worker would, so does that make me working class or underclass? then again, i was raised middle class and probably behave like one. that would be 3rd-world middle class, which is different.

then there's the issue that in countries like the u.s. your social class doesn't depend on your upbringing but on your current salary, which can vary from year to year. it's a very complex porridge. so by "classless" what it's meant is that there are no class "blocks". a woking class person attends night classes and suddenly lands on the middle class. then you have rednecks with money. what are they?

economic classes we definitely have, social ones, it's a bit trickier-- especially in america i think.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2007, 06:33 PM   #42
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think the point of this "classless" society is not that there aren't inequalities and stratification, but that having broken the mold of industrial societies people don't fit the old molds.

it used to be that working class you worked in a factory, middle class you were the management, and upper class you were the owner. nowadays? there are the mega-rich, the ultra-poor, and the mess in between. where does one belong is difficult to know.

i for example make less money than a skilled factory worker would, so does that make me working class or underclass? then again, i was raised middle class and probably behave like one. that would be 3rd-world middle class, which is different.

then there's the issue that in countries like the u.s. your social class doesn't depend on your upbringing but on your current salary, which can vary from year to year. it's a very complex porridge. so by "classless" what it's meant is that there are no class "blocks". a woking class person attends night classes and suddenly lands on the middle class. then you have rednecks with money. what are they?

economic classes we definitely have, social ones, it's a bit trickier-- especially in america i think.

yes but implicit in what you just said is that class still exists but it is harder to place people into those particular classes because of economic and social standing in their particular communities.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2007, 07:00 PM   #43
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
I think we can all agree that a "classless" society is a crock of shit, and that the class boundaries of the past 100 years are still nicely in vogue, by and large. And so forth.
Old 05.25.2007, 07:14 PM   #44
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
I think we can all agree that a "classless" society is a crock of shit, and that the class boundaries of the past 100 years are still nicely in vogue, by and large. And so forth.

maybe in england. certainly not in the united states. the working class was DESTROYED during the reagan era. what is left is a small core of auto & industrial workers, but certainly not a majority of the population. there is a huge service economy where people get paid minimum wages, get no benefits or security of any kind, have no unions to represent them, and spend most of the time in front of computers, at the phone, etc. that i think does not qualify as "classic" working class--- though it's working. it's more of a working underclass because it has no cohesiveness or power of any kind. (and now even those jobs are being outsourced to india & so on).

on the other hand you have the rise of a creative class which, though mostly bourgeois in its economic role, has bohemian tastes and lifestyles-- those people starved 100 years ago, and now are the ones driving the information economy. this used to be a contradiction maybe in the XIX century but not any more.

the reason i say this is because social classes depend on the economy. during agrarian times, we had the serfs and the aristocracy and the city people. with the rise of trade and industry, the aristocracy wanes, the city people consolidate their power, the serf becomes the proletarian, and production and consumption become disloged-- you no longer produce what you consume, but you produce for a market.

today i am not sure where we are going but it's evident that the industrial model no longer applies. we don't have too many "company towns" built around factories anymore, at least not in developed countries.

however, in economic terms, there are still the fuckers and the fuckees, and you can call that whatever you want, but that's the part that doesn't change.
Old 05.25.2007, 07:42 PM   #45
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I always saw working class as one defined by physical labor and, therefore, generally (but not always) lower class.

My father is a small-case lawyer so we're middle class.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2007, 07:48 PM   #46
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
I always saw working class as one defined by physical labor and, therefore, generally (but not always) lower class.

My father is a small-case lawyer so we're middle class.

that's exactly my point, that used to be working class, but what about telemarketers? no physical labor, yet awful wages, awful working conditions... you get the idea. then again, take a small case lawyer, middle class, but give him 7 children and some debts and no help from the state-- can you live like middle class really? in america, you can jump from middle class to homelessness in a matter of months.
Old 05.25.2007, 07:52 PM   #47
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
that's exactly my point, that used to be working class, but what about telemarketers? no physical labor, yet awful wages, awful working conditions... you get the idea.

This is certainly not the case for the telemarketers I know. They are pampered at work, and make decent money.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2007, 07:58 PM   #48
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
This is certainly not the case for the telemarketers I know. They are pampered at work, and make decent money.

really? wow.
uau. i learn something every day.... even those who sell subscriptions????
Old 05.25.2007, 08:03 PM   #49
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
really? wow.
uau. i learn something every day.... even those who sell subscriptions????

More on subscriptions in a PM coming your way.

I can't be too sure what it is these individuals are selling, or who they are being contracted by, and could give a shit less to be honest. I've never got a clear answer from them about what it is they do when they are calling or being called, I suspect this is because they could also give a shit less.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2007, 08:33 PM   #50
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Working-middle.
I myself am, technically, classless... but my family is the above.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2007, 08:35 PM   #51
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

http://www.technocapitalism.com/appl...roduction.html
Old 05.25.2007, 10:40 PM   #52
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
My parents in their own country were dirt poor. My mom who was indigenous lived of what she grew, my dad lived on what he grew as well, and stole the lands from the rich in what now is a big town over there.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2007, 11:43 PM   #53
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест

wow, in australia telemarketing is lower pay than factory work, my friends do it when they need to inbetween acting jobs
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2007, 12:01 AM   #54
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
fucking telemarketers!
i play them songs on my guitar when they answer, its quite nice..other times i fall in love *sigh*
Old 05.26.2007, 12:51 AM   #55
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
but you're going to be a lawyer $oon...

That's right. Most likely I will make a higher income than my parents do. I prefer the term "jurist" though. I don't think I'll become an attorney, if this points out the difference.
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2007, 04:04 AM   #56
macrodollar
little trouble girl

macrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard sucka
I'm almost but not quite lower-middle class. I base this on the horror my uni friends expressed when I said I've been abroad 5 times in my life (as opposed to their 3 a year minimum). I've often been called "posh" because of my reletive lack of accent and the words I use.
Anyone for a spot of class warfare?
macrodollar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2007, 08:09 AM   #57
sarramkrop

There is simply not a classless society. Fullfuckingstop.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2007, 08:11 AM   #58
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i grind my heel on the face of the working classes!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2007, 08:12 AM   #59
sarramkrop

You'll be tortured accordingly, Toilet & Bowels.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2007, 08:28 AM   #60
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
the mere thought of plebians with their hideous visages and uncouth and unruly behaviour is already torture enough!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth