Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Fashion advice
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.20.2008, 09:39 PM   #41
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
If you can't see the belt, then why not wear it? No need to go beltless if the belt it needed and hidden when worn.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 09:42 PM   #42
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, I do wear the belt. And I don't mind the belt. In fact, I really like it. I'm just saying it feels kind of like a shame that I have this kind of groovey belt but nobody can see it. Tucking my T-shirt in looks dorky, going for the supermodel half-tucked look looks dorky. So there's no good way to show it off, is what I'm saying.
Old 03.20.2008, 09:46 PM   #43
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I wear a size 29/32 Skinny Levi's and still have to wear a belt. I'm 6'1" and weight 130lbs and there's nothing I can do about it.
Old 03.20.2008, 11:16 PM   #44
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Thought the thread title would keep this open beyond the scope of my immediate problem.

I need some advice about tailoring my jeans. I bought a coupla American Eagle low-rise slim boot cut jeans a few months back. For the first coupla months they fit well--snug in the waist but not too tight. Now after several washings, they seem to have loosened up quite a bit in the waist, so much so that I have to wear a belt with them.

So... Is it worth having them tailored to "snug up" the waist again? As in, taking them to a professional?

Or should I just live with wearing these with a belt and feeling that they're a little loose?

Major dilemma, I know. Hey, I have no life.

I'm putting myself out here, so respond kindly. What do you think?

i dont know what they look like on so i cant say
try a smaller size

i thought i wore a sz. 25 jeans until i started wearing th esame pair every day and theyd sag in the ass and generally look shapeless and disgusting so i wear a sz 24 (approximately equivalent to a 0 but it depends on the manufacturer)
and with vintage you never know what sz. to buy, you just have to try them on.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 11:26 PM   #45
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really understand what half of you are gashing about, but there's really little point thinking about how you're looking if you're not wearing a belt. Seriously, unless you're 17/ female, wear a belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2008, 11:38 PM   #46
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
like how about getting pants that fit instead of having to wear a belt
Old 03.20.2008, 11:56 PM   #47
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
belts are hot on guys anyway. you know. they could spank you if they wanted.

just wear it and quit whining. :P

belt > no belt.
Old 03.21.2008, 06:38 AM   #48
sarramkrop

Whatever you do, wear jeans that are well cut in a manly way, which means that they don't make you look:

1. Like your mother dressed you.

2. Like a girl.

3. Like you need fashion advice.

4. Like you are not comfortable in them.

Unless you have the skinny and emaciated body of a heroin addict or you are plain handsome, please do avoid extremely skinny jeans. In saying that, some guys can pull it off and get away with it, but still a man needs to look like a man, unless you are going for the full on extravagant and quirky look. AWWWWRIGHT?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2008, 08:16 AM   #49
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
like how about getting pants that fit instead of having to wear a belt

Because I have to buy things off the rack, like all the rest of the po' folk of the world. I get them to fit as well as I can, but, you know, I'm not buying them tailor-fit from a designer.
Old 03.21.2008, 08:17 AM   #50
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
belts are hot on guys anyway. you know. they could spank you if they wanted.

just wear it and quit whining. :P

belt > no belt.

So should I wear my shirts tucked in?
Old 03.21.2008, 08:35 AM   #51
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I hear that ugg boots are making a comeback.

they come up high enough you might be able to tuck yr shirt into them.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2008, 09:22 AM   #52
gmku
invito al cielo

Nah, I'm not going for the sorority chick look.
Old 03.21.2008, 10:54 AM   #53
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Whatever you do, wear jeans that are well cut in a manly way, which means that they don't make you look:

1. Like your mother dressed you.

2. Like a girl.

3. Like you need fashion advice.

4. Like you are not comfortable in them.

Unless you have the skinny and emaciated body of a heroin addict or you are plain handsome, please do avoid extremely skinny jeans. In saying that, some guys can pull it off and get away with it, but still a man needs to look like a man, unless you are going for the full on extravagant and quirky look. AWWWWRIGHT?

Sagely advice. I'd add that very baggy jeans always, always looked shit. And unless you're going for the continental gay look, shin-length trousers are a deeply poor idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2008, 11:47 AM   #54
gmku
invito al cielo

All sounds like good advice, even though it's pretty vague.
Old 03.21.2008, 05:20 PM   #55
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Sagely advice. I'd add that very baggy jeans always, always looked shit. And unless you're going for the continental gay look, shin-length trousers are a deeply poor idea.

what are you lot saying? I have the continental gay look?

I agree with the baggy jeans comment, they've ALWAYS looked shit. I feel uncomfortable in anything that's not tight.
Old 03.22.2008, 06:06 AM   #56
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
what are you lot saying? I have the continental gay look?

I agree with the baggy jeans comment, they've ALWAYS looked shit. I feel uncomfortable in anything that's not tight.
No, but you are handsome. See my post above.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2008, 06:07 AM   #57
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
So should I wear my shirts tucked in?

only with suit pants and tailored shirts

tailored shirts and jeans = shirt out

t shirt and tailored pants = shirt out

t shirt and jeans = shirt out

etc

the shirt should just be kind of short enough to just cover the belt area. a flash of belt is equivalent to a flash of panties for me. I've no idea why. Im pretty sure its the spanking thing
Old 03.22.2008, 06:28 AM   #58
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Because I have to buy things off the rack, like all the rest of the po' folk of the world. I get them to fit as well as I can, but, you know, I'm not buying them tailor-fit from a designer.
you don't have to get them tailored for them to fit. i buy vintage or off the rack pants too and i NEVER have problems because i take my time and TRY ON MORE THAN ONE PAIR which means trying on different sizes AND different cuts.
Old 03.22.2008, 07:29 AM   #59
gmku
invito al cielo

I know. I do that too. I just think I'm kind of incompetent at it. I sometimes have a hard time telling, in the store as I'm trying things on, what my size really is and what looks best.

What makes it worse is salesclerks will tell you anything to make a sale. Oh, sure, that looks great on you. It's supposed to expose your butt crack when you bend over.
Old 03.22.2008, 08:56 AM   #60
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

DO NOT listen to those simpletons working in the store. they don't know shit.
if you don't feel comfortable in something -- don't buy it. and needless to say, crack kills.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth