Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Lets have a serious discussion about Atheism vs Theology
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.23.2009, 04:36 PM   #41
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Maybe it wasn't a serpent but a vagina that led Adam astray.
something like that. you know, something rooted in reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
its funny, cuz yr username
LAWL.
Old 07.23.2009, 04:41 PM   #42
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
well, war is war, and whether warmongers have used religion or science as a pretext, it plagues mankind since the beginning. BUT, what is scary is that while religion may have hung, stoned and burned enough people to death in the past, science today has equally had a penchant for blood, only much to our own horror, as upped the scale dramatically. Religion did not invent the atomic bomb, or the machine gun, or the chemical weapon, these were the toys of curious scientists who with a lack of empathy and hope, used their skills to create tools of death and destruction..

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/grea.../Pinker054.php
Over the past century, violent images from World War II concentration camps, Cambodia, Rwanda, Darfur, Iraq, and many other times and places have been seared into our collective consciousness. These images have led to a common belief that technology, centralized nation-states, and modern values have brought about unprecedented violence.
Our seemingly troubled times are routinely contrasted with idyllic images of hunter-gatherer societies, which allegedly lived in a state of harmony with nature and each other. The doctrine of the noble savage—the idea that humans are peaceable by nature and corrupted by modern institutions—pops up frequently in the writing of public intellectuals like, for example, Spanish philosopher José Ortega y Gasset, who argued that "war is not an instinct but an invention."
But now that social scientists have started to count bodies in different historical periods, they have discovered that the romantic theory gets it backward: Far from causing us to become more violent, something in modernity and its cultural institutions has made us nobler. In fact, our ancestors were far more violent than we are today. Indeed, violence has been in decline over long stretches of history, and today we are probably living in the most peaceful moment of our species' time on earth.
Old 07.23.2009, 04:42 PM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Dogma is not unerring and is privy to change. The two cathechisms produced within the last century propose often conflicting 'dogmas'. It's only extremist nutters (of whatever stripe) who propose that the an absolute, total interpretation of scripture should be abided by by the faithful. Again, America's vocal Christian extremist minority are among the most abhorrent in the world.

of course it is not unerring, but it is given to followers as absolute truth to be unquestioned and accepted, and in catholiscism for example, just one MAN has the ability to change dogma. nice huh>? in science any little kid with a science experiment can prove or disprove any theory.
Old 07.23.2009, 04:54 PM   #44
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
of course it is not unerring, but it is given to followers as absolute truth to be unquestioned and accepted, and in catholiscism for example, just one MAN has the ability to change dogma. nice huh>? in science any little kid with a science experiment can prove or disprove any theory.

Ok - look at the 10 commandments. Fundamentally, there is nothing wrong with any of those commandments, as ethical precepts. I'd agree there's a lot that's iffy about, say, Leviticus, but I've just as much right to eschew that as you have the right to disprove String theory. The truth of both matters, of course, is that it's bigger men than you or I who make a difference. But you still get the odd Sri Ramakrishna or Andrew Wiles popping up here or there.

I'm not essentially arguing against science, I'm arguing about science as a mode of fostering spritual, ethical and moral 'rightness'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2009, 05:12 PM   #45
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
i don't/never did understand why people get into arguments about this shit? live and let live. seriously. i have my beliefs and you have yours. if you like it, great, if not i don't know, go fuck yourself because i don't give a shit what you think so why should you care what i have to say? you don't? great. that's what i thought.
Old 07.23.2009, 05:13 PM   #46
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
But now that social scientists have started to count bodies in different historical periods, they have discovered that the romantic theory gets it backward: Far from causing us to become more violent, something in modernity and its cultural institutions has made us nobler. In fact, our ancestors were far more violent than we are today. Indeed, violence has been in decline over long stretches of history, and today we are probably living in the most peaceful moment of our species' time on earth.

Tell that to the hundreds of millions of bodies which have piled up over the past hundred years of modern warfare. Tell that to the countless refugees and victims of war across the world. Regardless of the motivation for war, the technology used today was created by the callousness of science, cold facts often have no heart.

My point in this is blind following of anything, be it science or religion is dangerous. You should follow things in depth and substance, hence the purpose of this thread to discuss in substance the arguments back and forth. In this way, we can reason and understand each other with a higher degree of sophistication and preciseness..

And on a question posed before, "What good has religion given to the world?"

Interesting point about this false dichotomy, religion is the ORIGINAL SCIENCE. The origin of collection observation and data about natural phenomena comes from religious quests to understand the nature of the world, to mark a correct calendar, and to preserve knowledge from the past. Whether you are in East Asia, India, the Middle East, or especially Western Europe, the preservation of all the ancient writings which science is built upon including the very art of writing itself comes from religious institutions like monasteries..

Monks preserved the Latin and Greek writings of the ancient world, and these works on mathematics, natural sciences, architecture and history are the foundation of modern science and were the inspiration and practice of the early modern scientists, from Newton to Mendel, Francis Bacon to Darwin.

Without the continuity of the socio-political institutions of religion, Europe, the Middle East and Asia might never had risen to such great heights of civilization and modernity.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2009, 05:18 PM   #47
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
LAWL.

it's so something satan would say. well yr first post. [actually, and LAWL]

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2009, 05:25 PM   #48
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
no offense...but there is LITTLE if any "substance" to spirituality.

everyone seems to be drawing on their own experiences to fill in these answers

Old 07.23.2009, 05:34 PM   #49
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
I view this entire debate or issue as a problem derived from the extremist viewpoints of both sides.

On one hand your have religious extremists who believe that what they are doing is appeasing their God(s). So, the ancient Israelites, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, Asians, and later the Turks, Catholics, Christians etc all have at some point or another shed blood believing that they not only were justified but most of the time even divinely blessed. The notion that God(s) was/were on their side, is and should be considered bullshit. So if you choose to believe in a God or religion, one should understand that the truth is: men in power often abused their interpretation of whatever God they were worshipping, in order to fulfill their own selfish wishes. But, I believe at some point, long ago, there was purity and truth amongst all this confusion. Way too many things point to that.

Science. I like it, believe it and find most of it to be very explanatory and helpful in understanding our surroundings. But, like religion Science will try to have an answer for everything, EVERYTHING and that just doesn't add up. Science has discovered each individual uses different parts of his/her brain more than others. So, basically a long time ago you had some people who were more analytical than others, saw the hypocrasy in religion, and decided to study how and why things work the way they do. Essentially they wanted mankind to be their God, and that makes sense because you can change scientific reasoning, discover better methods, etc, a lot easier than applying a certain verse from the Koran or the Bible, written thousands of years ago to a current situation. In science's quest to penetrate all the mysteries of life and find meaning behind things, they have committed their fair share of blunders, call it ignorance or intention, they've fucked up a lot.

I think if more religous zealots embraced the fact that: there is a God and he did create all things, so be glad some men are studying God's inventions to try and better humankind, because obviously religion as a whoile has done a shit job of that.

Equally I'd suggest to scientist to realize some things will NEVER be explained or understood by human beings, ever. Not at the rate in which we are currently ''evolving'' anyways. Embrace the fact that maybe a God did design all these things but at the same time gave them the ability to adapt and change to the enviroment.

I remember in college studying biology within the human body and my professor saying: ''I once tried to understand how and why everything worked within our bodies down to the molecular level, and came to the conclusion that neither I nor most of the human population would ever truley figure it out. So I for the most part still think of the body as the field, functioning as the game, and our cells are simply the players. With that said, Creation to me is still a sham.''

In ending I would like to quote Glice: ''I'm not essentially arguing against science, I'm arguing about science as a mode of fostering spritual, ethical and moral 'rightness'.''
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2009, 05:36 PM   #50
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
every time someone quotes glice, a child in africa dies. no joke
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2009, 05:38 PM   #51
davenotdead
invito al cielo

was the child already underfed, ill and suffering?

Old 07.23.2009, 05:40 PM   #52
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
Africa is overpopulated due to scientific improvements in the field of medicine and the natives constant urge to copulate as part of their religious duty.
Old 07.23.2009, 05:55 PM   #53
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
so are you therefore saying it's our duty to quote glice as often as we can so that we reduce the population in africa?
Old 07.23.2009, 06:01 PM   #54
Shifty Prophet
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
so are you therefore saying it's our duty to quote glice as often as we can so that we reduce the population in africa?

I'm saying that science points to that.
Old 07.23.2009, 06:02 PM   #55
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
i don't/never did understand why people get into arguments about this shit?
b-b-but arguments are what fuels the internet, Dark Mistress. You willed it Yrself.

Quote:
every time someone quotes glice, a child in africa dies. no joke

quoting for effect.

----> deep in the heart of darkest thailand, a lady-boy is born.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2009, 06:15 PM   #56
demonrail666
invito al cielo

DroneSlowly's unanticipated questioning of the Mistresses' logic left the other Drones cowering behind their spoons
Old 07.23.2009, 06:34 PM   #57
Shifty Prophet
100%

Quote:
DroneSlowly's unanticipated questioning of the Mistresses' logic left the other Drones cowering behind their spoons

I'm confused was that scientific or religious?
Old 07.23.2009, 06:37 PM   #58
Shifty Prophet
100%

Ahh, carry on.
Old 07.23.2009, 06:40 PM   #59
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
Africa is overpopulated due to scientific improvements in the field of medicine and the natives constant urge to copulate as part of their religious duty.

I'll pretend I did not hear that. Africa is by no means over populated, in fact with the exception of Egypt, Nigeria and Ethiopia most African countries are sparsely populated. And in a country like Ethiopia, food shortages and disease are caused by mad made disasters and unequal distribution of resources. Further, if anything scientific improvements in the field of medicine haven't even begun to properly affect or increase Africa's population. But that is off topic, this is a discussion about Science and Theology, not geopolitics.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2009, 06:42 PM   #60
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
religious
it's more of a cult, you know.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth