Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page First Jobs
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.13.2006, 02:26 AM   #41
samantha.
little trouble girl

samantha. has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
My first job was wrapping Christimas gifts at a shopping centre. The pay was good for my age ($10 per hour and I wasn't taxed!!), although this job does kill your Christmas spirit.
samantha. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 04:35 AM   #42
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
i think your stories are hillarious. i laughed hard I almost fell off my chair
Thanks _Slavo_!!

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 08:39 AM   #43
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Thanks _Slavo_!!

no big deal. praise to anyone who's okay.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 09:01 AM   #44
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I once got a job as an usher for the Cirque du Soleil.That was fun and i met loads of nice people.The Circus itself was mostly bollocks though.The man and the woman who did the acrobats fucked up once and he did his own back in.They were replaced by the unfunniest clown i've ever seen.On the weekends i'd work at one of the doors with a funny guy called Luke and it was a great laugh throughout the show.If we were hungover we would get easly irritated by the various characters.If we were particularly hungover the clown would really do our heads in and we'd be thinking stuff like:''Why is he standing there like an idiot,Why does the fucking mime look so stupid?''.Those were the days...........

Old 04.20.2006, 09:06 AM   #45
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
my first job was working in a Tennis Ball Factory, the same factory that made the balls for Wimbeldon

the whole job was a load of balls really!
Old 04.20.2006, 09:09 AM   #46
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
i got the chance of working from home.. i was translating comics for their local publisher.. not as fun as it sounds, and it didn't really pay that well, and it took too much of my time..

the comic books were
- conan the barbarian
- the punisher

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 06:46 PM   #47
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
My first job was at a grocery store. Then I worked at a Cinnabon. Then I worked at an automotive center. After that I got a degree in CompSci and I now make US$40/hr. That number isn't a bragging thing...it's just proof of what a college degree can do for you. As Mr. T would say, "Stay in school, fool"
Old 04.20.2006, 08:10 PM   #48
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
My first job was at a Dairy Queen. I was fired at the end of my first day for supposedly not scraping the metal ketchup canister well enough. The boss was this Columbian guy & he had instructed me to scrape it for all it was worth...which I did. After he had given me the news that it wasn't going to work out, he & 2 other teenage female employees then had a ketchup fight right in front of me. The thing was (as I look back on it now), the owner just didn't like me because I probably had been getting lots of attention from the female employees. Weeks later, & this is no bullshit, I read in the paper (my then-girlfriend call my attention to this) that the owner guy was busted for dealing cocaine.

Now my first real job was a blast. As a teenager, I literally landed one of the coolest jobs possible at my age in my small town. I became the projectionist at the local movie theater. There were only two theaters in town & they each only had one screen & I worked at both of them. So I learned how to splice together & assemble the films & thread a projector. These days it's idiot-proof. On a couple of harrowing occasions, the film broke & I had to scramble to get it going again. My high school girlfriend was allowed to come in the booth with me while I worked also. The door to the booth had a lock on it & so we would have sex up there. One time, the tickettaker/manager guy came a' knockin' while we had the door locked & I told him I must have locked it by accident & he still let my girlfriend come by after that, but asked me not to lock the door again. Which I think I probably did, but we never got caught in the act (well sorta) ever again after that. This was 1987, so I especially remember seeing Predator & The Secret of My Success lots of times. The one film that really made an impact on me with repeated viewings was the great Full Metal Jacket.

I've worked (in some cases multiple times) as a laborer, carpenter's (remodeler's) helper, inbound & outbound telemarketing/customer service representative, telephone surveyor, landscaper, cashier clerk, dishwasher, line cook, fry cook, broil cook (for Shoney's, Waffle House, Huddle House, Bennigan's , Red Lobster, Chili's, & also other local restaurants) waiter in a restaurant, host, expediter, caterer, concert usher, barback, bartender, door guy, in an office for social services, buying & selling used textbooks, campus secretarial, student notetaker, & even a couple of times as a life drawing model. Now I am a merchant & work from home with an internet business.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 08:38 PM   #49
Pablitzen
the destroyed room

Pablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to behold
i'm lookin now for my first job...i'm almost graduate...
i'm searchin for about 2 months, but nothing happens...i'm still waiting for interviews
Old 04.21.2006, 09:00 AM   #50
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
My first job was at a Dairy Queen. I was fired at the end of my first day for supposedly not scraping the metal ketchup canister well enough. The boss was this Columbian guy & he had instructed me to scrape it for all it was worth...which I did. After he had given me the news that it wasn't going to work out, he & 2 other teenage female employees then had a ketchup fight right in front of me. The thing was (as I look back on it now), the owner just didn't like me because I probably had been getting lots of attention from the female employees. Weeks later, & this is no bullshit, I read in the paper (my then-girlfriend call my attention to this) that the owner guy was busted for dealing cocaine.

Now my first real job was a blast. As a teenager, I literally landed one of the coolest jobs possible at my age in my small town. I became the projectionist at the local movie theater. There were only two theaters in town & they each only had one screen & I worked at both of them. So I learned how to splice together & assemble the films & thread a projector. These days it's idiot-proof. On a couple of harrowing occasions, the film broke & I had to scramble to get it going again. My high school girlfriend was allowed to come in the booth with me while I worked also. The door to the booth had a lock on it & so we would have sex up there. One time, the tickettaker/manager guy came a' knockin' while we had the door locked & I told him I must have locked it by accident & he still let my girlfriend come by after that, but asked me not to lock the door again. Which I think I probably did, but we never got caught in the act (well sorta) ever again after that. This was 1987, so I especially remember seeing Predator & The Secret of My Success lots of times. The one film that really made an impact on me with repeated viewings was the great Full Metal Jacket.

I've worked (in some cases multiple times) as a laborer, carpenter's (remodeler's) helper, inbound & outbound telemarketing/customer service representative, telephone surveyor, landscaper, cashier clerk, dishwasher, line cook, fry cook, broil cook (for Shoney's, Waffle House, Huddle House, Bennigan's , Red Lobster, Chili's, & also other local restaurants) waiter in a restaurant, host, expediter, caterer, concert usher, barback, bartender, door guy, in an office for social services, buying & selling used textbooks, campus secretarial, student notetaker, & even a couple of times as a life drawing model. Now I am a merchant & work from home with an internet business.
Sounds like you too have a colourful cv atari 2600

Old 04.21.2006, 09:14 AM   #51
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
my first job was at sainsburys behind the deli counter, i only lasted 3 months. i quit when i thurned up in converse and they told me i couldent ware them becaues the were not safe, which is bullshit, all the other dumbass teenagers behind the counter wore trainers, so anyway, they asked me to ware these safety shoes that looked like black cloggs. they were hideous. so i said "no way, i quit". thst was just the tip of the ice berg though really. the people there were assholes, my hours were fucking shit! thursday 7-9pm, friday 7-9pm and saturday 8-6pm. i wasent allowed to work sundays and in the half term i asked to work all week and to get saturday off, i asked well in advance and they said no right at the last minute. the pay was shit too, i got £3.60 and hour, i i couldent get time and a half ever because i wasent alowed to work on hollidays, easter christmas, etc, or past 9pm at night. GOD that place was horrible. i havent had a job since, i get pretty good pocket money though so i dont really need one.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 09:20 AM   #52
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I still have my first job, and I've had it for a while. I work at a golf course cutting grass, raking sand, and chopping trees down. It's not bad, I get to slack off once I finish my work, and it's pretty fun taking the quads, going to the dump, and having mud wars with my coworkers. We'll do donughts and spray each other then we'd go back to the garage and the bosses qould question how we got the vehicles dirty. They never catch on haha.
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 09:18 PM   #53
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
i completely forgot to mention working at a fish market. it was my first job when i arrived in athens at age 21. on wenesdays, we would have to cut & clean 2 tons of mullet. (TWO TONS!!)wednesday was a killer. Hours & hours of people standing over the huge long sinks with sharp knives & all the stinky mullet in a warehouse type of place with only fans for climate control. We wore these elbow-length heavy rubber gloves, but you would ruin your clothes & reek of fishguts at all times. I did enjoy fresh & cheap seafood though when i worked there. the rest of the week was spent loading trucks or in the trucks en route to grocery stores all over northeast georgia delivering seafood. the place doesn't exist anymore. when the athens civic center was built, the building was bought out.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 08:12 AM   #54
porkmarras
invito al cielo

These days i work as a Reservations Clerk in a Theatre.In the office there's just me,the telephone,the pc,paper coming from every corner of the room and on the phone a bunch of moaning rich people who get arsy if they cant get a fucking table in the restaurant.

Old 05.04.2006, 08:36 AM   #55
umjammer atomsk
the end of the ugly

umjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's asses
i've never been employed anywhere yet but i hope to acquire some sort of tolerable occupation this summer.
umjammer atomsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 03:40 PM   #56
bytheriver
bad moon rising

bytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nice
Work is the bane of my life, so Ive avoided it for the past year, Im starting again soon though, as a civil servant at the foreign office which is ironic as up till this point ive been a fairly active critic of foreign policy and mainly worked for or on behalf of social movement. Still public sector benefits package is pretty good and principles wont get me a new amp.

Without a doubt the worst work is factory warehouse work, 8 hour shifts moving the same palletts from the belt to the truck really drains your motivation to keep breathing.
bytheriver is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 10:07 PM   #57
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
my first job was in a record store where i stayed for 5 years then went to uni. my current job is a sound engineer in an art centre with three theatres the biggest a 2000 seater.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 11:41 PM   #58
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
my first job was as a waiter at an applebees. lasted for about 3 months then quit. it was ok work with decent tips but the managers were such assholes. i'm currently working as a paid intern at the new york times. i get to read papers all day. well sort of. i'm in quality assurance so i have to look for any defects and make sure the ink quality is up to spec.
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2006, 12:29 AM   #59
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
update:

i started my job last saturday. 8 hours of standing around (it's a rule that i can't sit down), hooking little kids into a harness and sending them up a rockwall, and selling overpriced soda to dehydrated park-goers. excrutiatingly boring, but not at all difficult.
Old 05.05.2006, 06:01 AM   #60
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I have a friend who once got a job in a pub and got sacked for playing a silly game.It involved walking into the bar and time how long he could get away with doing nothing until his boss noticed.He got away with a an hour of just standing behind the bar letting his collegues do all the work.When he told me about it i laughed my head off so much i couldnt stop.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth