Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page (actual) world cup thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2010, 07:40 AM   #661
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
In other words:

The tournament ends here, kokot!

edit: Van der Vaart injured, so Kuyt moves to the left and Robben returns in the starting line-up, playing on the right. Will he shine or will he be limping off the pitch before the national anthems are even finished?
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 08:04 AM   #662
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I really think video-refereeing to some dgree needs to be introduced. Certainly not as much as in American football (kills the game), but maybe something like the Hawkeye-thing in tennis, where the managers could dispute a referee's claim 2-3 times a match. Or at least a camera on the goal-line. I understand the "human error charm factor", but the modern game is played so fast and the interests (Champions League is a multi-billion euro industry) are so high. FIFA needs to get with the times.

I agree. FIFA has its head in the sand over this. Personally I think it should only be used to determine whether the ball crosses the goal-line. Fans like to debate wrong decisions but there's far too much at stake to stop goal-line technology just for that.

I'm not just saying that because of what happened to England - although it's fair to say that, while Germany were by-far the better team, had the first half ended 2-2, Germany would've certainly been the more cagey in the second half and England wouldn't have had to press in the way that they ended up having to. The better team won but that doesn't (necessarily) make it right. I suspect FIFA are just relieved that the England Germany game didn't end 2-1, making the referee's decision a tournament affecting one. As it is though, we can't have a crucial knockout game in the future being decided by something that could so easily be sorted out almost instantly.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 08:17 AM   #663
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm not just saying that because of what happened to England - although it's fair to say that, while Germany were by-far the better team, had the first half ended 2-2, Germany would've certainly been the more cagey in the second half and England wouldn't have had to press in the way that they ended up having to.

Yes, that's what I meant. They wouldn't have been able to lean on the counter as much. Not to mention the psychological shock the Germans would have surely felt of being 2-0 ahead and then within a minute conceding 2 goals making it even again.

Mind, it was still bad tactics from England having 9 men in front of the ball during that free-kick that led-in the Germans counter-attacking to 3-1. You only take that many risks in the last 5-10 minutes, not when there's still half an hour to play.

What do you think Capello will/should do?
Old 06.28.2010, 08:47 AM   #664
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
What do you think Capello will/should do?

I think Capello will stay. England did great in the qualifiers and the players have proved themselves for their clubs. There's just something about the big national tournaments that makes them freeze. Although I've dismissed it in the past, maybe there is just too much pressure on England players. There's an irrational expectancy at the heart of England supporters. It's stuck in some mythical past with no real acknowledgement that the game has changed a lot since 1966. England fans see everything in black and white: either England are the best team in the world, or the worst. Most people are looking for a scapegoat and Capello's the obvious target - especially as he's foreign and therefore "doesn't understand the English way". God knows.

I'm starting to wonder how other nations' supporters think of their team? Is there the same pressure on Holland's players, for example?
Old 06.28.2010, 08:54 AM   #665
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

^^I'll get back to you on that. Have to watch the game now. will edit in here.

I've just arranged to have the Friday afternoon off to watch the next game, so Holland better win this now.
Old 06.28.2010, 10:01 AM   #666
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Things could be worse (from an England/Mexico/Slovakia/USA perspective, anyway)
Old 06.28.2010, 11:06 AM   #667
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
In other words:

The tournament ends here, kokot!

Too bad Vittek didn't properly polish his shoes today (except for the penalty in the last seconds). We had our chances, but the Dutch were a tough cookie today. From now on, I hope for you guys to go far, because it's a pleasure to see Robben, Kuyt and Sneijder play.
I didn't like how some of our guys played today (especially Weiss, no.7, who is a very gifted and technically skilled guy, however he's too young and tends to hold on to the ball for too long), but there's room for improvement, as majority of our team memebers are under 25 yrs.

Brazil is not as strong as it used to be, you can sail through if you really try.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 11:37 AM   #668
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
In the jungle, the South African jungle, 3 lions sleep tonight, coz in the morning, the early morning, they have to catch a flight. No win away no win away no win away no win awa

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 11:57 AM   #669
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Sorry to see Slovakia go out, although simply for beating Italy they're already tournament heroes.

Holland look so good going forward but I have to wonder about the opportunities they give the opposition. Although I thought Holland were the better team today, on another day, chances could've easily gone the other way and they'd be out. And yet, by not having to meet Germany, Spain, Portugal until earliest the final, they're avoiding all the most potent strike-forces. Brazil (assuming they beat Chile) will be far harder to break down than Slovakia but offer less of a threat up front than the teams they'll avoid.
Old 06.28.2010, 11:59 AM   #670
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
terry, gerard, upson, ferdinand (didnt play but still), lampard, green, barry, wright-philips should never put on an england jersey again. some of them wont anyway due to age but they where just terrible.

How you can leave Rooney off this list is shameful. As I've said I'm new to this game as far as knowing players and all I heard pre-tourney was Rooney
was one of the top 3 players in the world. Right now it's tie between him and the Italians for the most over-rated players in the field.
Old 06.28.2010, 12:04 PM   #671
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
How you can leave Rooney off this list is shameful. As I've said I'm new to this game as far as knowing players and all I heard pre-tourney was Rooney
was one of the top 3 players in the world. Right now it's tie between him and the Italians for the most over-rated players in the field.

i think that he has something more than any of those tired old men. he just didnt show any of it but looks like he can in the future where as the rest of them dont give a fuck.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 12:12 PM   #672
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
As much as I like Argentina I think they are in serious trouble against Germany. Their goaltender sucks and the defense can get sloppy at times. Heinze played a great game yesterday saving a certain goal with his face.
I believe they're going to need to score at least 4 to get by Germany. I don't know how the bracket breakdown but the only team that has looked solid enough to me to win is Uraguay.
Old 06.28.2010, 12:13 PM   #673
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
i think that he has something more than any of those tired old men. he just didnt show any of it but looks like he can in the future where as the rest of them dont give a fuck.

ok I can buy that
Old 06.28.2010, 12:13 PM   #674
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
picard was awesome, can brazil hire the borg queen to even the odds?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 03:51 PM   #675
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I really thought Brazil were awesome tonight. Strong in every area. Maicon and Lucio at the back seem like immovable objects while Silva is running things from midfield.

Brazil v Holland is gonna be a great game but I think, even with Robben's return, that Holland will have to improve if they wanna get through that defence. Never mind the fact they seem capable of cutting teams open on the counter-attack, almost at will.

That was the most impressive team performance I think I've seen in this tournament so far.
Old 06.28.2010, 06:13 PM   #676
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley

Tree murders baby in Central Park?!
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 06:20 PM   #677
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
suchfriends-- the best team won, period. one on one, argentina has better players, and that carries weight even with tactical errors. the opportunities mexico created were wasted, whereas argentina took every opportunity & converted goals. argentina had mexico pinned down at the midfield so they could rarely make good plays.
I it was never in doubt that Argentina would win, but Mexico wouldn't have been slaughtered outright had they played a bit stronger like they did the first 25 minutes and the last 15 minutes..

Quote:
Hopefully it'll be a good match, yes.

To be fair, it would be embarassing for the Dutch to go out against Slovakia, but I hope there's no underestimation sneaking into the squad.

that was such a Booooring first half, it got exciting in the second when the Slovakians finally showed up.
Quote:
Sorry to see Slovakia go out, although simply for beating Italy they're already tournament heroes.

exactly. thats why I was happy they at least got that goal in the 93rd minutes, they didn't deserve to go out scoreless after having so thoroughly humiliated Italia! Peace out Eurotrash teams, Germany is getting knocked out soon, and Spain will join them. I am so glad to see Europe go!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 06:24 PM   #678
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I really thought Brazil were awesome tonight. Strong in every area. Maicon and Lucio at the back seem like immovable objects while Silva is running things from midfield.

Brazil v Holland is gonna be a great game but I think, even with Robben's return, that Holland will have to improve if they wanna get through that defence. Never mind the fact they seem capable of cutting teams open on the counter-attack, almost at will.

That was the most impressive team performance I think I've seen in this tournament so far.

I agree 100%. Especially the last statement. Definitely the most complete game by all players. I love the way they just kept attacking the Chileans even when they were in their own end. Too many other defenders (USA comes to mind) just keep backing up until the box.
Old 06.28.2010, 06:26 PM   #679
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Shh..
What have you got against Europe, suchfriendsaredangerous?
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2010, 06:30 PM   #680
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Shh..
What have you got against Europe, suchfriendsaredangerous?

what don't I have against Europe

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
313233 34 35363744 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth