Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page after seven and a half years, should I stop smoking pot?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should I stop smoking pot?
Yes, jesus man its about time... 18 66.67%
excuse me while I light my spliff.... 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.03.2008, 02:53 PM   #61
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I think muff diving should be legal

That never stopped me.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 04:07 PM   #62
Disgruntled Youth
the end of the ugly

Disgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's asses
Cause 2 spliff a day keep di evil away...

"Drink Guinness & live,
Hate Guinness & die"
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Disgruntled Youth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 06:01 PM   #63
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Insofar as I say that, I'll agree there is a good point made about the decision to grow something to get yourself off your gourd. However, to speak of massive, deep-set and vastly complicated problems and somehow invoke an 'injustice' about something so piddlingly unimportant (to the wider world) as how you get off your gourd is ridiculous. It is precisely weed's (allegedly) benign affect which leads it to be very, very low down the pecking order of political issues. I'm not saying it's not political - I'm saying any logical, quasi- or pseudo-logical hierarchy of political issues would stick the decision of an indivual to partake in a harmless (but illegal) activity which alters ones mind to the effect of wanting to listen to shitty Pink Floyd LPs somewhere at about the same level as the sort of paint used in parking spaces. You may invest the argument with all the gravitas you wish, and you may contend that it manifests a wider malaise in 'our' political society - fine. There are much more obvious, much less circuitous arguments with which to hammer that particular nail, and using weed to manifest 'an infringement of civil liberties' always strikes me as perpetuating the 'blinkered, mind-enfeebling' arguments against weed better than it does argue for it.

. Beed forms a very minor part of a recent history in your country and wider states - lest we forget, in Europe and America 'beed' was transported relatively recently by comparison to the process of sanitising water we Europeans know as 'making booze'. Were I the state, I'd make 'beed' illegal. It may be benign in the majority of people, but like certain e-numbers,

its very simple. there are literally thousands of people currently sitting in federal and state prisons for cannabis related offenses. are you sitting in prison? when was the last time you were arrested? further, when was the last time a cop dragged you off the street, threw you in the cage of his black and white with your fucking shoes off and held you there for twenty minutes for bullshit. yeah, it is just an incovenience, and yeah it is voluntary, but when was the last time it happened to you?

secondly, hemp production and cannabis is deeply imbedded in world and american history. it is the crucial plant which created fibers until the invention of synthetics. I did not invent this shit, I just happen to use cannabis for less important reasons. but it not some recent history thing, cannabis has been grown industrially for hundreds and even thousands of years....
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

your "fuck the laws" (you mean the cops) attitude will get you fucked, and unless you have something to gain from it you're just a fool. sorry, but you're no rosa parks.

get your strategy together instead of trying to live by RATM lyrics-- I like RATM but it's a fiction. the only people who have effected social change in our time are those who get organized and use their wits.

somebody has to stand up to these assholes, otherwise they win. you cant just talk and think about change, sometimes it has to be manifested the hard way. if it is not your bag, to confront authority and established directly that is fine, but dont sit around discrediting those who do. fuck the laws means fuck the laws. it also means fuck the law enforcement. cops are bullshit, for plenty of other reasons, for example county lock outs, having sherrif officers come an kick people out of their houses, contributing to the 68,000 homeless people [140,000 if you include these temporary folks] in the city....

RATM lyrics? you are just being silly here. your advice regarding action is fine, but, coming in the form of a criticism was premature on your part,why would I post organizational details on the internet? you dont know what I do outside of this forum. that is all.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 06:20 PM   #64
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I had no intentions as such, however hearing of people's success with moderation is interesting

floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 06:41 PM   #65
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
You'll save some money and see what you are capable of without it.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 06:55 PM   #66
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
somebody has to stand up to these assholes, otherwise they win. you cant just talk and think about change, sometimes it has to be manifested the hard way. if it is not your bag, to confront authority and established directly that is fine, but dont sit around discrediting those who do. fuck the laws means fuck the laws. it also means fuck the law enforcement. cops are bullshit, for plenty of other reasons, for example county lock outs, having sherrif officers come an kick people out of their houses, contributing to the 68,000 homeless people [140,000 if you include these temporary folks] in the city....

RATM lyrics? you are just being silly here. your advice regarding action is fine, but, coming in the form of a criticism was premature on your part,why would I post organizational details on the internet? you dont know what I do outside of this forum. that is all.

well good luck with your guerrilla, pol-pot. i'll visit you in jail.

as for confronting authority, i have no problem doing that-- i got a teacher fired in high school (he was a fucking asshole who covered up his ignorance by being a twat to everyone) ,and another one in college didnt get fired but i got a petition signed by everyone & took it to the dean to put an end to hi shenanigans. the fucker got collared. i have no problem taking action when i have a specific goal in mind.

ive also worked in other more recent causes i'd rather not discuss publicly, local politics type thing. why, because i like my private life to remain private and my internet life separate from it. i know what i have done is small potatoes, but still, i'm not the type to sit down & take it.

i don't think authority is inherently evil; in limited form it can be very beneficial. and you see, i have nothing against the police, because i don't do anything illegal in any kind of significant scale that will get them on my case. well, i've been caught speeding, but i agree that people shouldn't drive like maniacs, so that's fine. as far as i've experienced, cops are not pleasant people, but if the law is on your side you have little to fear.

and so the law is NOT on YOUR side. what are you gonna do?

the way i've learned to work this shit is rather than fighting the cops you go & lobby your senator, your state rep, and you work the system, you call your reporters, get some PR, build political alliances, and that's how you get shit changed. building barricades against the police will only get you shot.

i've also learned first-hand that when you go to people in authority screaming slogans and shaking your fist they are going to treat you like a clown and ignore you, but if you present yourself civilly, argue your case cogently, and negotiate like a grownup, you have a much greater chance to change things. you'll eventually find out this. in the meanwhile, i hope you don't tire of digging trenches, che guevara.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 07:39 PM   #67
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Its definately a good idea to give up the weed, full-stop if you ask me. Moderation is all very well, but what is 'moderation'?, my friend smokes three joints a day, so to him one joint a day is moderation, but thats still a nasty habit. People disagree whether weed is addictive, but it certainly becomes part of your life, certain albums don't seem as good without a dooby snack for company etc. etc. I feel the real danger with weed is people viewing it as the least 'bad' of all the drugs, or to quote a recent conversation with a fuck-tool a 'kids drugs'. In my experience, its neither of these, its rediculously easy to get hold of which is very dangerous and I've felt the least in control of my actions stoned than on speed or ecstacy.
Now, theres alot of vinyl-elitists on this forum, and I'm sure we all to some extent collect records becuase its the the thing to do, but one thing I am so truely grateful to records for doing is stopping me buying cannabis. When I started buying records a year ago I found something more important then weed to me, so i simply stopped buying it, up to that point I'd been spending almost all of my then £40 per week earnings on eighths of weed. So, if anything, the financial reward will be great. I smoked weed for three years very regularly, but along the way I would meet kids who had fucked up their lives due to far longer periods of smoking it. But the worst thing is, they still see weed as a big and clever thing to do, I remember one freind saying "I can't get to sleep without a joint every night". He said it was a big old smile on his face, i said why are you smiling, thats a hidious state to get yourself in! Weed is good fun, theres no denying it, but as with any drug gradually your tolerance will build up, and then its a downward spiral...

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 10:50 PM   #68
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
every soul must chill like it is cold even if they are (and apparently predominantly) in florida. it isn't our fault that the elders choose alligators over sports teams. but i feel no remorse in blaming the tree painter dude for perfecting the pines. now just fifty three egrets stretch tonsils on the vines. dried out from the shredded tummies of seventeen porpoises too many. hark what a seaghoulish feast. hark what a haircut.
Old 04.03.2008, 11:07 PM   #69
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloriel
every soul must chill like it is cold even if they are (and apparently predominantly) in florida. it isn't our fault that the elders choose alligators over sports teams. but i feel no remorse in blaming the tree painter dude for perfecting the pines. now just fifty three egrets stretch tonsils on the vines. dried out from the shredded tummies of seventeen porpoises too many. hark what a seaghoulish feast. hark what a haircut.
^ keep smoking if you want to post like this
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 11:37 PM   #70
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
^ keep smoking if you want to post like this

yegads a thrashing pike on the line. in retrospect the worms were the choicest. shrug. dead eyes / dead minds. see something
don't understand
must be because of this
not the other
(i'm a hawk)
now iz all right, dude is jounced
like phinny on his own private
limb
makes his breath bitter wire, metallic
poor kid will have headgear for the rest of his life.
s'aight
least he knows how to hop
through hoops

good skill to have, nothing on ya man.
probs is suchies, see, he's smoked way more than me,
all i've glanced against the membranes of my lungs, second hand
camels, maybe some kools.
tha rest ima just trounce ya
jounce ya from that limb
Old 04.03.2008, 11:47 PM   #71
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Did you just reference A Separate Peace? God I hate that book.

Anyways, before you run out of metaphors for you butthurt wax poetic, I was only just kidding with the best intentions.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2008, 12:11 PM   #72
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
its very simple. there are literally thousands of people currently sitting in federal and state prisons for cannabis related offenses. are you sitting in prison? when was the last time you were arrested? further, when was the last time a cop dragged you off the street, threw you in the cage of his black and white with your fucking shoes off and held you there for twenty minutes for bullshit. yeah, it is just an incovenience, and yeah it is voluntary, but when was the last time it happened to you?

I have never been arrested. The laws in my state are slightly different. However. What kind of a fucking moron is not aware that possessing the drug cannabis is illegal? I don't see what point you're making. In my state it is illegal to kill someone, and should I decide to stick a knife through someone's throat which results in their death, I would be well aware of the fact that what I was doing was illegal. To use a slightly less extreme example - when speeding, you're doing something illegal. The whys and wheretofores of it can be batted about ad infinitum, but if you choose to not obey the laws of your state you run the risk of being prosecuted for that. It really is that simple.

"I did something illegal and got arrested for it, and subsequently encountered the horrors of the legal system/ police cells/ prison". Anyone surprised at that? I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2008, 12:13 PM   #73
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

the way i've learned to work this shit is rather than fighting the cops you go & lobby your senator, your state rep, and you work the system, you call your reporters, get some PR, build political alliances, and that's how you get shit changed. building barricades against the police will only get you shot.

reactionary. and that is fine, if you want accept the limits of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%

i've also learned first-hand that when you go to people in authority screaming slogans and shaking your fist they are going to treat you like a clown and ignore you, but if you present yourself civilly, argue your case cogently, and negotiate like a grownup, you have a much greater chance to change things. you'll eventually find out this. in the meanwhile, i hope you don't tire of digging trenches, che guevara.

yes, you are correct, that kind of methodology is pointless and ineffective, but my friend, who mentioned any of that childish behavior? if yr enemy walks in suit and tie, then you must have a better suit then even him, seen? but, it must not be a suit from the same tailor, it must be home-grown. and hey, somebody has to dig the trenches, "because the flag has still got to be hoisted!" [Jah B.. bunny wailer]

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2008, 12:13 PM   #74
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

This man, he knows, oh yes. You can make everything your crusade all you want, but if you're not picking your battles, and picking them well, you're just a screaming idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2008, 12:21 PM   #75
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
stop pussy footing around the proverbial bush, give it up if you want to! stop arguing about it. its not that big a deal!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth