Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is this Art?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.19.2007, 07:42 PM   #61
Lethrneck4
children of satan

Lethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Of course it's not, and I seriously think that anyone who does think that it is art quite possibly hates art in general. Even arguing about it is pointless, in this time and age. Seriously, with all the steps forward that humans achieved over the years, I cannot understand why some people are so mentally lazy.

well, most of these "art" people will call anything art to try to show how openminded they are...that bed isnt art. if you went into someones house that was a complete mess cause they are fucking slobs, and took pictures of it, is that art? artists and art lovers (esp on this board) are so eager to be liked by thier ilk they probably wouldnt ever criticize anyones art( ill use people claiming they like the magik markers as an example of art queers going overboard)....christ use your heads...i dont think van gogh or michelangelo would call that bed art..theyd probably laugh at anyone who even suggests it...art in my opinion requires talent, not someone being an utter slob and acting like they created something out of such sloth like behavior

i consider you dumb, ignorant, and irrelevant
perhaps more than a fly, but less than a fart. a joke - !@#$%!

Death by a firing squard of ten black gay men would be too good for this shithead. - atari2600

loser retard. pothead - !@#$%!

you're a real prick for acting so daft & being so disagreeable on purpose - atari2600

On the contrary, tesla69 is idiota numero uno - atari2600
Lethrneck4 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2007, 08:38 PM   #62
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Since the boundaries of what constitutes art is and has always been subjective, I find discussions like these pointless. Anybody saying that anything nowadays isn't art could easily find himself decades ago condemning some piece that is now heralded as a master work. Anyone that says all things can be art waters down art with vapid philosophy that encourages laziness. Both are wrong, both are right. What only matters is what moves you, only that is true art.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2007, 09:33 PM   #63
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Bed is a far more conservative piece than Duchamp's, which questioned what could be permitted as art. Emin came along after that battle had largely already been won. Her piece is 'allowed' because of the earlier acceptance of his work, and that of Warhol, etc.) but uses it to return to a far more romantic view of the artist-as-social-outsider.

As such I always think that Bed has more in common with Van Gogh's (admittedly superior) Chair.

I actually went to see this piece of "art"

Lets examine it for what it is

A child like drawing of a chair with a wonky leg

Now, lets examine the works off Titian, Tintoretto, or even the works of Hieronymus Bosch

All technically superior to the wonky chair and the unmade bed

All works of art, just some of them are shit works of art

You can be the judge of which is which
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2007, 04:27 AM   #64
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePits
I actually went to see this piece of "art"

Lets examine it for what it is

A child like drawing of a chair with a wonky leg

Don't get me started!
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2007, 04:31 AM   #65
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Don't get me started!

You better don't get ME started, stiletto nose. Did you not end up battered enough on that other thread? Eh? Sniff, you dog, sniff.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2007, 04:35 AM   #66
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, Sarra. Whatever. <Ring a bell?
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 01:17 PM   #67
Fred Cracklin
little trouble girl

Fred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's asses
Uh, What Art Recession? (Sotheby's/BID)

Michael Learmonth | November 15, 2007 7:45 AM

Art moguls shook off recession fears and helped Sotheby's (BID) rebound strongly from its disastrous showing last week by ponying up for contemporary works including $23.6 million for former Wall Street commodities broker Jeff Koons' "Hanging Heart (Magenta/Gold)." In contrast to last week, when 20 of 79 lots went without bidders, most went within or slightly above estimates.

Robotic Sotheby's auctioneer Tobias Meyer even added a lighthearted moment to the proceedings. "The dollar is weak," he chided a hesitant bidder for Richard Prince's "Untitled (Cowboy)." The gavel came down at $3.1 million, more than a million above the high estimate.

The 71 lots were auctioned off without much drama--in contrast to last week's auction when van Gogh's "Wheat Fields" went unsold, causing BID shares to crater 28% the following day.

Last night, Sotheby's kept up the momentum set at Christie's the night before: 16 record prices for Koons, Gerhard Richter and Lucian Freud. The highlight of the bidding were two pieces by Francis Bacon, a tiny self portrait and the magnificent "Second Version of Study for Bullfight No. 1." Rumor on the bidding floor was that Sotheby's had guaranteed the pair for $60 million. They went for $29.5 million and $41 million, respectively, not including commissions.

Other highlights: Two Warhols, the tiny "Campbell's Soup Can (Pepper Pot)" ($7.5 million) and "Self Portrait (Green Camouflage)" ($11 million), sold in the mid range of estimates. Jean-Michel Basquiat's "Untitled (Electric Chair)" sold for $10.5 million, above the $10 million high estimate, but a second, less-impressive untitled piece sold for $6.9 million, below the $7 million low estimate.

Fred Cracklin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 01:17 PM   #68
Fred Cracklin
little trouble girl

Fred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's asses
Earlier: Night at the Art Market Crash (BID)

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2007/11/...t-art-rec.html

Bacon was a sensation and the Van Gogh* didn't go.

One speculates it's because it's now become more or less accepted that "Wheat Fields (with Crows)" was not Vincent's last painting, contrary to what's depicted in films such as Lust for Life and Vincent & Theo. (...along with "Wheat Fields" not being exactly one of his better works really either.)

*(yeah, correctly it's "Gawck" in case any of you read it that way)

Richard Prince, Lucian Freud, and Gerhard Richter had strong showings and Koons prices are soaring right now as the article above alludes.

Personally, I feel SY are due some payback from Prince and Richter.

According to Koons (concerning "Rabbit"), “Polished objects have often been displayed by the church and by wealthy people to set a stage of both material security and enlightenment of spiritual nature; the stainless steel is a fake reflection of that stage.”

His "Rabbit" from '86 is probably gonna go for a hundred mil one day.

And oh yeah, Rabbit is gonna be a balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade this year.
http://www.mediabistro.com/unbeige/art/jeff_koons_gigantic_shiny_rabbit_to_join_macys_tha nksgiving_parade_70933.asp
Fred Cracklin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth