Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Why is Speed a Better Drug than Weed?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.25.2008, 05:47 PM   #61
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

afterwards: habituation, dulling of the luminous experience, psychological dependence, slowing of the mind, diminishment in personal grooming, and INABILITY TO COPE WITH STRESS.

life can be stressful, but the pothead prefers to sit in a cozy spot rather than face the music.

at this point you either wake up & realize you can't continue the habit, or you rationalize your habit with shit like "oh, i didn't REALLY want to do great things after all", & continue living a medicated life.

Oh well, another victim of propaganda. Once again,
you seem to have a metality that labels smokers as gold-brickers who use the "devil's weed" as a psychological "crutch."

Aside from what chronically uptight people may opine,
mariujuana is an herbal plant and furthermore, your brain is equipped with natural cannaboid neuroreceptors. And nearly every scientific research study indicates that cannabis usage has the following therapeutic applications:

Relief from nausea and appetite loss (but of course, haha);
Reduction of intraocular (within the eye) pressure;
Reduction of muscle spasms;
Relief from chronic pain; and
Relief from anxiety and STRESS.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 05:48 PM   #62
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I never felt those sequance of feelinsg with weed. I smoked onee, got high. smoked again , got high again.

not all drugs are for all people. not all music is for all people.
you can "waste" your entire life collecting records, spending the money that woud otherwise go to "great deeds ad achievements" so what?

yeah i guess so. but what i noticed is so common you hear similar stories over & over.

i have nothing against collecting records. you do what you wanna do. shopaholics have a problem-- i think we could agree someone who neglects to feed their kids in order to buy records has a problem.

with chronic potsmoking, as with alcoholism, or cocaine use, or gambling addictions,i see people self-destroying ,and it's just sad.

i'm not opposed to weed per se-- i'm for legalizing it and making it safe. im also for legalized gambling, prostitution, drinking, etc.

but what nomadicfollower said is true for lots of people-- it's the weed that produces those results. surely people have addictive tendencies to start with, and if their addiction was to alcohol the results would be different, but they would be specific to alcohol. each addiction has its signature. potheads have common symptoms that cant be denied, alkies have common symptoms that cant be denied, compulsive gamblers have common symptoms that can't be denied. etc.

anyway im acting like an internet addict at the moment, so i should alt-tab and get back to work.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 05:51 PM   #63
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses

...INABILITY TO COPE WITH STRESS.

Aren't you the same dude always writing about coffee? Now there's a substance that may be causing your INABILITY TO COPE WITH STRESS.
Old 01.25.2008, 05:51 PM   #64
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600

I can't agree with this one. Anxiety is the thing that I always get when smoking pot.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 05:51 PM   #65
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
what about those of us addicted to girls' big butts?
Old 01.25.2008, 05:53 PM   #66
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I can't agree with this one. Anxiety is the thing that I always get when smoking pot.

like I said, different drugs react differently in different people's bodies.

to a person with ADD methamphetamines are prescribed to CALM THEM DOWN!

dig?

weed is a hallucinogen, not a depressant. treat it as such!
Old 01.25.2008, 05:53 PM   #67
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Big Butts Anonymous?

Yeah, I agree with what you wrote before, Rob. Enjoy life.
Old 01.25.2008, 06:01 PM   #68
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Oh well, another victim of propaganda. Once again,
you seem to have a metality that labels smokers as gold-brickers who use the "devil's weed" as a psychological "crutch."

Aside from what chronically uptight people may opine,
mariujuana is an herbal plant and furthermore, your brain is equipped with natural cannaboid neuroreceptors. And nearly every scientific research study indicates that cannabis usage has the following therapeutic applications:

Relief from nausea and appetite loss (but of course, haha);
Reduction of intraocular (within the eye) pressure;
Reduction of muscle spasms;
Relief from chronic pain; and

what propaganda? you're the perfect example of what i'm talking about. one just has to see.

oh yeah cos my unconscious *cough* knows everything.

ok bye.
Old 01.25.2008, 06:02 PM   #69
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

dig?

Yeah, ok. I see. That's why I avoid it.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 06:10 PM   #70
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

dig?

Marijuana is a psychedelic with depressant and stimulant properties. Don't get it confused.

Sometimes a person's parasympathetic division is effected more easily than their sympathetic, or vice-versa. This is where some people get more paranoid and some get more lethargic.
Old 01.25.2008, 06:11 PM   #71
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Not to mention all of the people who are straight arrows and living "productive" lives that pretty much just buy houses, watch TV and breed.
That feels like just as much of a "waste" to someone with my particular set of priorities.

Well actually I can imagine myself doing that, except for the breeding part, but yeah I can.
Old 01.25.2008, 06:14 PM   #72
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

the sad truth is that the idea that all humans have the potential to greatness is a faulty romantic ideal, and not exactly true at all.
Old 01.25.2008, 06:14 PM   #73
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
what propaganda? you're the perfect example of what i'm talking about. one just has to see.

oh yeah cos my unconscious *cough* knows everything.

ok bye.

Cussword, you have to understand that drugs effect people differently and not all stoners are like the ones that you put down, man. Besides, many of the drug users on this bored are very informed on their drugs and effects. I don't think people who don't smoke pot should try to make facts about pot use out of observations.
Old 01.25.2008, 06:14 PM   #74
atari 2600
invito al cielo

And also Hayden, different strains have markedly different effects. There are buds that speed you up and there are other buds that tend to calm one down.

What propaganda? Look, I refuse to have a discussion with someone who plays the imbecile. It's an obvious fact that there is ongoing and intense propaganda that demonizes marijuana and always has been.

--------------------------------------------------------
But onto something perhaps relevant:

No studies have ever proven a link between marijuana and addiction.
It's generally clasified as a non-addictive substance.

With that in mind, it's easy (unlike hard drugs where it isn't a clear cut answer) to make a simple pleasure versus pain calculation and conclude that marijuana causes more pleasure that it does pain in one's life.

Now I will amend this post to proffer that it is my own personal belief that marijuana can be psychologically addicting for some users and that it typically lowers the smoker's intelligence quotient by anywhere from ten to twenty points with habitual usage. Therefore, unless you're gifted or a genius, there's an outstanding chance that you probably shouldn't smoke marijuana.
Old 01.25.2008, 06:28 PM   #75
m1rr0r dash
invito al cielo

m1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's assesm1rr0r dash kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
well i think skydiving is stupid, but yeah, everyone has their choices. if people want to self-castrate for a life of marijuana smoke, yeah, it's their choice. i won't deny them. but i'll have my opinions-- like i have one about skydiving.

my experience with weed has been like this, and i think it's very similar to what other have experienced.

first time: "i feel nothing" followed by utter disorientation & paranoia

second time, and various times afterward: like looking at the world for the first time, luminous, rich with detail, the opening of the mind's eye, a river of creativity, but without focus-- great inspiration, but difficulty executing

afterwards: habituation, dulling of the luminous experience, psychological dependence, slowing of the mind, diminishment in personal grooming, and INABILITY TO COPE WITH STRESS.

life can be stressful, but the pothead prefers to sit in a cozy spot rather than face the music.

at this point you either wake up & realize you can't continue the habit, or you rationalize your habit with shit like "oh, i didn't REALLY want to do great things after all", & continue living a medicated life.

...my experience fits more with this than what rob's talking about...

and yes, i've continued to smoke after realizing that, yes it has affected my productivity, and yes i sometimes get irritable when i don't smoke for a while. this is true for both tobacco and weed. i used to get slammed sometimes when i first worked at offices for spending 10-15 minutes of every hour standing outside smoking cigs. that's fully 20-25% of my productivity down the drain right there. but i was far from the only one, and when you throw in making coffee and drinking it while standing outside chain smoking, there were people there who spent closer to 30-35% of every work day on the entirely unproductive task of feeding their dependencies.

as far as medicated life goes... i've also spent a couple of years walking around like a zombie on meds my psychaitrist was feeding me and my ex-wife was telling me made me more "mentally stable." i was entirely weed and alcohol free for around 3 years. i was taking fairly high doses of risperdal, seroquel and other atypical anti-psychotics that my doctor was telling me could help bi-polar disorder, which is what they said was causing my periodic problems with depression and that i just didn't recognize the periods of intense productivity and creativity coupled with often serious sleep-deprivation (so called hypomania) as problematic.

within the first 3 months of taking these medications, i had gained nearly 30 pounds. i began sleeping upwards of 12 hours a day, yet i was still falling asleep at my desk at work. on more than one occasion i had serious problems judging distances while trying to park my car, and not even parallel parking. for a short period i lost the ability to establish a mental image of the space around me. for example while driving on the highway i would glance in the rearview mirror and see a car in the next lane over a little ways behind me. when i looked back at the road in front of me, i could no longer see in my mind's eye how far behind me the other car was. i'd find myself checking my mirrors almost constantly and still only narrowly avoided a couple of accidents. i had trouble picking up an object from the desk in front of me with my eyes closed, even if i had just been looking at it. as an aspiring architect this was truly frightening.

even after finding a combination of meds that didn't have me falling asleep at my desk and stumbling on the stairs, i eventually gained around 40 pounds and my risk for diabetes had gone up fourfold. i was still sleeping 10 hours a night to feel as rested as i used to feel after 7 or 8. and i found that if i didn't take my medication, i would be literally unable to fall asleep for hours, doze off for an hour and half, then wake up and stare at the ceiling until the sun came up. i gradually stopped hanging out with my friends, lost all interest in my career, and slowly began hating myself.

since then, i've gotten divorced, quit the meds, gone back to grad school, lost nearly all the weight (i'm down to 135 from 165), become a far more sociable person and eventually resumed smoking weed on a fairly regular basis. if that's not a good thing, i don't know what is.

m1rr0r dash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 06:29 PM   #76
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Cussword, you have to understand that drugs effect people differently and not all stoners are like the ones that you put down, man. Besides, many of the drug users on this bored are very informed on their drugs and effects. I don't think people who don't smoke pot should try to make facts about pot use out of observations.

did you know that atari used to be a genius? and now look at him.

i've been saying that im ok with occasional pot use, like the occasional cocktail, like the occasional cocaine orgy, like the occasional ritual peyote. im all for enjoyment.

but addicts rationalizing their dysfunctional coping are just full of shit.

anyway i feel you're well schooled on your neurochemistry these days. good job.
Old 01.25.2008, 06:31 PM   #77
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
And also Hayden, different strains have markedly different effects. There are buds that speed you up and there are other buds that tend to calm one down.

What propaganda? Look, I refuse to have a discussion with someone who plays the imbecile. It's an obvious fact that there is ongoing and intense propaganda that demonizes marijuana and always has been.

Very true. I've just never smoked buds that made me paranoid. In fact, even as a twack star I never really got paranoid. It's just the way pot effects me as an individual.

There's propaganda for both sides.
Old 01.25.2008, 06:35 PM   #78
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1rr0r dash
and yes, i've continue to smoke after realizing that, yes it has affected my productivity, and yes i sometimes get irritable when i don't smoke for a while. this is true for both tobacco and weed. i used to get slammed sometimes when i first worked at offices for spending 10-15 minutes of every hour standing outside smoking cigs. that's fully 20-25% of my productivity down the drain right there. but i was far from the only one, and when you throw in making coffee and drinking it while standing outside chain smoking, there were people there who spent closer to 30-35% of every work day on the entirely unproductive task of feeding their dependencies.

yeah no shit. that's why when i smoke i do it right at the computer-- nicotine-powered 17-hour workdays

but i quit. it was fucking up my tongue & stinking the house.

damn internet. this shit is my main problem now. you bitches.
Old 01.25.2008, 06:35 PM   #79
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
did you know that atari used to be a genius? and now look at him.

i've been saying that im ok with occasional pot use, like the occasional cocktail, like the occasional cocaine orgy, like the occasional ritual peyote. im all for enjoyment.

but addicts rationalizing their dysfunctional coping are just full of shit.

anyway i feel you're well schooled on your neurochemistry these days. good job.

Understandable. I think if someone doesn't have a bad problem with anxiety or depression, they won't become the kind of users that lean on their use like a crutch. And anyone who attempts to rationalize their addiction hasn't fully accepted their addiction.

Ha. Thanks. I've had enough problems with drugs and mental illness myself that I should be well informed.
Old 01.25.2008, 06:40 PM   #80
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Understandable. I think if someone doesn't have a bad problem with anxiety or depression, they won't become the kind of users that lean on their use like a crutch. And anyone who attempts to rationalize their addiction hasn't fully accepted their addiction.

Ha. Thanks. I've had enough problems with drugs and mental illness myself that I should be well informed.

i like you when you're smart like that.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth