Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page party last night
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.09.2011, 08:57 AM   #61
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
now that you mentioned it, there was a chemistry teacher who was a right perv. he used to wanna "help" and "explain" by standing up and staring at your boobs. he wore an open shirt with one of those golden crosses entangled in his chest hair, ugh. i hated him because his son once sold me oregano instead of weed.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2011, 10:00 AM   #62
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
i once had a maths teacher when i was 13 years old who always picked on me because i wasn't good at maths and i was put in a class that was way above my capabilities. she bullied me so much that i ended up crying in front of the whole class and it was really embarrassing. i could handle something like that now but not when i was only 13 or whatever.

generally i'm a teacher's pet otherwise, maths was just the one subject i never got my head around.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2011, 10:14 AM   #63
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
my 7th grade math teacher was hot.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2011, 10:36 AM   #64
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
there is an early crucial point with math, around when you are 9-or 10 at school, where you might lose it. and then its this silly "terror" around it, that simply puts you off; it always made me furious and i remember telling to my fellow pupils, to ignore this "terror". not that anybody was listening to me!

I think you might be right.....I don't think I would enjoy math so much if it wasn't for my 7th grade teacher. Maybe I was just smitten....but When I heard "you can do better" my interest in math grew exponentially..........

pun intended.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2011, 10:39 AM   #65
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
derek, your math teacher was obviously, an idiot.

there is an early crucial point with math, around when you are 9-or 10 at school, where you might lose it. and then its this silly "terror" around it, that simply puts you off; it always made me furious and i remember telling to my fellow pupils, to ignore this "terror". not that anybody was listening to me!
apparently she's really nice now that she's had a kid. though i haven't took a maths class in 2 or so years.
Old 02.09.2011, 12:21 PM   #66
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
n1. and n.3 i detected some similarities, as an aggresive, ruthless attitude towards life. and probably kids like that at school can seem promising (ambitious=promising? puke). n2 girl, sweet her..the only "aggresive" i see from her side is her smelling bad.

trust me, number 2 was aggressive, she had me beaten up for kissing some ugly smelly skater she once dated.

Old 02.09.2011, 12:24 PM   #67
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
i once had a maths teacher when i was 13 years old who always picked on me because i wasn't good at maths and i was put in a class that was way above my capabilities. she bullied me so much that i ended up crying in front of the whole class and it was really embarrassing. i could handle something like that now but not when i was only 13 or whatever.

generally i'm a teacher's pet otherwise, maths was just the one subject i never got my head around.

standard reply in my days: have you considered that perhaps the fact that i can't learn means that you're a bad teacher more than it does that i'm a bad student?

but that did cause me more trouble than anything.

you can always use that einstein failed at math thing, but i'm not sure that's true.

Old 02.09.2011, 12:36 PM   #68
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
derek, your math teacher was obviously, an idiot.

I was pretty bad at it from the start. Somebody failed to explain the basics and everyone else failed to explain there was a point to it, and spent most of their time saying "if you don't get it, you're stupid". It's the right and wrong thing I suppose, you keep getting this negative reinforcement "wrong, wrong, wrong" - as the results matter more than understanding.

I remember this really traumatic experience when a teacher said no one would go home before getting this equation right. I couldn't get it at all, and all she did was to have me sit and do it again, I was hungry, tired, had this horrible sense of failure and the whole thing felt like torture - I spent hours there and NEVER got it right.

Old 02.09.2011, 01:01 PM   #69
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
standard reply in my days: have you considered that perhaps the fact that i can't learn means that you're a bad teacher more than it does that i'm a bad student?

but that did cause me more trouble than anything.

you can always use that einstein failed at math thing, but i'm not sure that's true.
it's cool though. i got As for english, music, modern studies (politics and stuff), history etc.
Old 02.09.2011, 01:05 PM   #70
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
it's cool though. i got As for english, music, modern studies (politics and stuff), history etc.

Exactly. I was the same. It's stupid that the entire system (especially in certain countries) fails to recognise that people have different talents and interests.

Old 02.09.2011, 01:27 PM   #71
Derek
invito al cielo

exactly. i was never good at maths, science or anything because i'm not a logical person, my talents lie in my creativity. the very fact that the public school system puts down creative individuals and that it is creative subjects that are getting cut from higher education faculties means that countries will end up as working drones with no art or culture attached to their society.

what's funny is that when i went into my senior years of high school (well, i'm still in high school, this was last year), i was told not to do subjects like modern studies and music because i was told by the teachers that i wouldn't be able to keep up with the courses. i had to get my PARENTS to insist that i take the courses and hey look, A's straight through. i got better marks in those subjects than i did with english, the ONLY subject i was told i could handle that year. moral of the story? teachers don't know what the hell they're talking about.
Old 02.09.2011, 01:36 PM   #72
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
exactly. i was never good at maths, science or anything because i'm not a logical person, my talents lie in my creativity. the very fact that the public school system puts down creative individuals and that it is creative subjects that are getting cut from higher education faculties means that countries will end up as working drones with no art or culture attached to their society.

what's funny is that when i went into my senior years of high school (well, i'm still in high school, this was last year), i was told not to do subjects like modern studies and music because i was told by the teachers that i wouldn't be able to keep up with the courses. i had to get my PARENTS to insist that i take the courses and hey look, A's straight through. i got better marks in those subjects than i did with english, the ONLY subject i was told i could handle that year. moral of the story? teachers don't know what the hell they're talking about.

At least you get that choice Derek. Here you have to do the same subjects as everyone else, and if you fail ONE do the ENTIRE grade all over again and lose a year of your life.

But now that I'm an old woman I sort of figured out that the world doesn't really want creative individuals. You'll go to job interviews in corporations where they are trained to analyse this: they should be smart enough to understand what we want them to do, but not smart enough to understand what we're doing.

They need doers, not thinkers. Unless you're talking science, but then they want the ones that are blinded by the work and status itself, not the ones with any kind of morals or goals.

Questioning things is not a desired ability in the job market. This is why I do my own thing: got tired of having to pretend to dumber than I really am in a non-threatening way. But they are trained, they see right through that.

Good thing is creative individuals never run out of options, never get stuck. It took a long time for me to realise that the feeling that "I don't belong" anywhere is actually a good thing.

Old 02.09.2011, 02:06 PM   #73
Derek
invito al cielo

i got made to do maths and sciences etc. until i was 15 or so, it was after that i got to pick what i wanted to do.

i still want to be an english teacher but i don't know if that's wise in these times.
Old 02.09.2011, 02:36 PM   #74
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
i got made to do maths and sciences etc. until i was 15 or so, it was after that i got to pick what i wanted to do.

i still want to be an english teacher but i don't know if that's wise in these times.

why not? whatever they say things keep changing, do what you wanna do.

Old 02.09.2011, 02:48 PM   #75
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
why not? whatever they say things keep changing, do what you wanna do.
very true. people talk about recessions and things like they'll last forever. my parents have lived through 4 recessions.
Old 02.09.2011, 02:52 PM   #76
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
very true. people talk about recessions and things like they'll last forever. my parents have lived through 4 recessions.

I still want to pursue arts, even though everyone tells me no or to follow something that well get me a secure job. And I just say that most people who had their B.A's didn't have a secure job. So i would say keep going and like know says times change.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2011, 03:11 PM   #77
knox
invito al cielo

doubt anyone will ever have a secure job ever again - there are good and bad aspects to that. sadly, it gets tougher and tougher for young people but i guess there'll be more challenges and fun.

Old 02.09.2011, 03:18 PM   #78
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston
Well this week with the dudes parents back there was no party instead there was a meet up in the city, and after dinner the first club tried said we were dressed to casual, and the second club despite being 24 years old I couldn't get into due to no I.D. Went home at 9pm. That was fun.
Hrm.

did you ever watch that futurama episode where kif and branningan get fired and end up working for planet express and by the end of the episode leela is ready to strangle kif because all he does is whine constantly about how he's mistreated by brannigan? it's called "brannigan, begin again" (had to search that title). second season. for the love of fuck, please watch it.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2011, 06:50 AM   #79
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
this.

i cant agree more.
they need robots, who work and consume.

i said smth before about wanting to learn at school. i wanted to edit, that mostly, it wasnt very successful.
i dont know whats the case in other countries, but in mine and at my time, it felt they didnt want opinion-makers, critical minds. you could see it, but you had to play by the rules.
at university, thankfully it was somewhat different. partly a reason, took us all some time to adjust. still, i never saw discussions to be encouraged, let alone outside the books and with reference to reality etc.

education system needs to be torn from the gut.
its a shame, there are people outside it who could help and make a difference and the system choses of course not to use them.

it's always like that i suppose. mostly, you need to obey, not question what the teacher/books says, not talk unless you're told to, reproduce everything you've been told in your work/essays, be humiliated and have your individuality undermined by every school worker.

if you dare saying "i read THIS OTHER book about this, and the author says this has been discredited", or actually daring having any input other than the one they expect you to have for which they are not prepared to, they will make an "example" out of you for the others to see what they do to people who question "too much".

of course i did question EVERYTHING to an extent i couldn't follow any rules. i wanted to learn, but school wasn't teaching me anything other than how twisted people can be and how much certain people will abuse any authority they can have, no matter how insignificant.

people are weird. when i think about certain things that happened it all seems so absurd. one time a teacher ended up finding out i was involved in a series of pro-gay marriage/civil rights/abortion manifestations. she actually had to confront me about it, as if what i did outside the school was any of her business, these were HER feelings, she had no business mixing that with my grades in school. I think it bothered her SO MUCH that a week later they invited me to a 'meeting' in which some teachers and parents stood there telling me they had seen me kissing this girl in school. The strangest thing is that it never happened. I was already aware that if a group of people say something, it doesn't have to be true, it will become true. of course it woudln't be their business or call for this even if it did, but they just carried on saying it did happen as if they were trying to convince me. The other girl was never called, why would she, she didn't want gays to get married and women to have control over their bodies. So many years later I realise those were a bunch of adults trying to create rumours to "punish" for having opinions they did not agree with. It shouldn't surprise me, even today the mere mention of the word 'feminist' gets people hating me.

Old 02.10.2011, 08:57 AM   #80
knox
invito al cielo

I never was the sort of person to conform, pretend or keep it to myself. This was part of the problem. I was also too naive about how hateful and bitter people can really be. But that school was managed by people that were just WRONG, that's a risk when you go to private schools: they just do whatever the fuck they want.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth