Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What do you do about unfriendly service?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.09.2006, 02:00 PM   #61
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Bad service in a record shop I can cope with, after all I'm perfectly capable of looking through the racks on my own. Being ignored by bar staff, though, that's a different matter altogether.

that's easy to handle: bartenders don't give a shit about your person, but your money. when you lean over the bar to order, simply stretch your wad of money over the bar into the bartender area and you'll get good attention right away. then tip generously to make sure the drinks keep coming.

i mean you don't need a wad. in most places, a crisp $20 unfurled like a flag will do. but the bigger the bill the faster the service.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2006, 02:15 PM   #62
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
yeah, I used to work in a retail store and I know it's not easy...

Odd thought struck me. Maybe they're tired of seeing my ugly face. Like, hey, you come in here every few days and scoop up the good stuff before any of the kids can get to it. Let the other customers buy something...

Not that I buy all THAT much really. But maybe it seems like it to the clerks...
oh trust me, we (the collective employees of record stores across the globe) don't care. you're giving us your money.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2006, 02:16 PM   #63
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
oh trust me, we (the collective employees of record stores across the globe) don't care. you're giving us your money.

Even us weird ones who come back like every other day?
Old 08.10.2006, 03:43 AM   #64
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that's easy to handle: bartenders don't give a shit about your person, but your money. when you lean over the bar to order, simply stretch your wad of money over the bar into the bartender area and you'll get good attention right away. then tip generously to make sure the drinks keep coming.

i mean you don't need a wad. in most places, a crisp $20 unfurled like a flag will do. but the bigger the bill the faster the service.
That does not apply to England i'm afraid.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 04:36 AM   #65
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I've been to a few record stores in the US, but one of them I remember - The Sound Garden in Baltimore, MD.

Great selection of new&used stuff (lots of good indie), absolutely friendly staff willing to help but not bothering you when you just feel like hanging there, plus armchairs where you can just chill and listen to the music you choose on the headphones.

a fucking awesome place. spent a lot of money there.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 05:38 AM   #66
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Speaking of good customer service, here's something to warm the heart of Gmku.

So I was at Barnes & Noble looking at some fiction, the wife was reading something so I wandered into the music section. I browsed through the cd's just to get a feel for what they carry, suprisingly they had a decent (eclectic) selection, I found some old indie hip hop and a lot of great jazz.
I was trying to find the Yoshimi and Yuka album, so I asked the guy what section it would be in....rock,world,electronic etc. The guy was insanely nice and looked it up to make sure they even had it, which they didn't, but he was asking all these questions like what they sounded like, who they were affiliated with, record label etc. We ended up on the topic of John Zorn and Japanese underground music. I turned him on to the Tzadik catalogue of our subterranean Asian jams and at the end of it all he thanked me for the knowledge...a record store employee actually thanked a customer for dropping some knowledge and didn't act like they knew all about music...I was amazed.

So there you have it gmku, good customer service is out there, even the rare & exceptional like my encounter, then again it was at a book store that carries some cd's, oh well it was still refreshing to meet a music shop employee with some humility.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 05:40 AM   #67
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
this is the sort of welcome that i expect when i walk into a record shop:

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 09:29 AM   #68
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
this is the sort of welcome that i expect when i walk into a record shop:

Ha! Yeah, now that's what I'm talking about!!

Only problem--no kool rock chicks.
Old 08.10.2006, 03:46 PM   #69
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I've been to a few record stores in the US, but one of them I remember - The Sound Garden in Baltimore, MD.

Great selection of new&used stuff (lots of good indie), absolutely friendly staff willing to help but not bothering you when you just feel like hanging there, plus armchairs where you can just chill and listen to the music you choose on the headphones.

a fucking awesome place. spent a lot of money there.
Oh yes.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth