Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Obama: BRB, White House
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.05.2008, 05:24 PM   #81
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
I think he is a great guy, a great speaker, and a great person but I just don't think things will pan out like every one thinks.

possibly not, but a step in the right direction to begin with, cannot be a bad thing.

imho I just hope he lasts long enough to inspire people in a positive way and begin to put the breaks on crappyville USA. As long as he makes sensible decisions he will be far more popular internationally than Bush or probably any former US president. He represents the minority, and most of the world thinks they are the minority.

unfort when you do bad things to good people, they just get really sad and take it, but when you try and make good changes to stop the bad people, they want to and will try to take you out. Its hard to do the right thing in a country governed by so much power and money.

FYI THE WORLD voted obama 4:1 in vox pop.

I am also SO freaking glad that this guy will be president when I visit the US finally. I think it will make the trip cooler, because the country is now 8 times cooler.
Old 11.05.2008, 05:26 PM   #82
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
I am in a bittersweet mode today. I am happy Obama won, but sadden that gay marriage is now illegal here in Cali.

wtf, they did overturn it? retards. someone probably threatened to publicise arnies buttsex days.
Old 11.05.2008, 05:27 PM   #83
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Yeah, my sister and her girlfriend were gonna go get married in California early next year.

Homophobia sucks.

Does any state still allow gay marriage?

complete germany
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 05:29 PM   #84
phoenix
invito al cielo

yeh but it'd be void as soon as they got back. No different to just having a ceremony for the sake of it.

we are very very slowly on the way here, but its going to take a lot longer still.
Old 11.05.2008, 05:33 PM   #85
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
The fight is not over, we'll see. I am not staying optimistic. However, I am not going to become a cynic.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 05:36 PM   #86
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
aahhh, the black guy h8s teh gays!! oh nooos

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 05:51 PM   #87
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
The battle against racism in America began in the early 1800s with the Abolitionists. It then got buried a bit with segregation (sp?) after Lincoln freed the slaves (yeah, I know it wasn't that simple, but I'm just simplifing it for the sake of discussion), and came to the fore again in the 1960s with the civil rights movement. The election yesterday was a victory, but the very fact that Obama's skin color is a big deal shows it's far from over.

However, for gays, the road to equality...I personally don't think it's even been paved yet, to say nothing of our country/culture having started down it. That doesn't mean it's never gonna happen, though...
Old 11.05.2008, 06:43 PM   #88
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
As long as he makes sensible decisions he will be far more popular internationally than Bush or probably any former US president. He represents the minority, and most of the world thinks they are the minority.

There is a fundamental difference between being a minority and actually representing minority issues in politics and government. a world of difference actually. Obama is merely a symbolic gesture, but lets see how far it actually goes.

What upsets me the most is that America all just gave a collective sigh of relief, as if it was the last day of Obama's term in office and we had all won a substantial victory, when in fact, its not even the dude's first day. Its like it hasn't even started yet and everybody is already relieved that we have finished. what the fuck?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 07:00 PM   #89
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

What upsets me the most is that America all just gave a collective sigh of relief,

Well, I'm certainly one of those people. I was seriously considering leaving the country if McCain won. The NYTimes is lamenting how much damage Bush can still do in the remaining time but just knowing that someone more rational is going to be leading the country is a relief.

I've said before, I like Obama's ability to speechify. Communication is something that is something that has been lacking in the country and I think that is something that Obama is going to start before being inaugerated.
Old 11.05.2008, 07:14 PM   #90
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by akprodr

I've said before, I like Obama's ability to speechify. Communication is something that is something that has been lacking in the country and I think that is something that Obama is going to start before being inaugerated.

I've been seriously planning and arranging to leave the country for years now, and I have met and know quite a few like-minded individuals, perhaps you should not hold of those considerations just yet.

The question is not the communicative skills of the politicians, but rather, what is it they are actually communicating?

Old 11.05.2008, 07:48 PM   #91
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

The question is not the communicative skills of the politicians, but rather, what is it they are actually communicating?

I disagree. The president really is a lot like a cheeleader. The agenda for what needs doing is pretty much set. Obama needs to prioritize and direct the responses. I think Bush seriously damaged the country and the presidency with his "'cos I said so" manner. I think Obama will let us know what he is going to do and why.

Remember Mr. Reagan was known as the Great Communicator and really did get a lot of stuff done--even if I wasn't fond of it. Obama is going to do the same.

I think Obama voters voted for hope and change. I think those things will be ours if we continue to work for it.

I'm generally a cynical person but for the first time in a long time, I have hope.
Old 11.05.2008, 07:57 PM   #92
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I disagree. The president really is a lot like a cheeleader. The agenda for what needs doing is pretty much set.

You are only agreeing with me here, but I don't understand how you are given hope in acknowledging the political ineptitude and power bankruptcy of your leadership?

I-man don't support cheerleaders when they are pretending to be in charge of the whole fucking game, I prefer to keep an eye on the coaches, the quarterback, and more importantly the sponsors and the owners of the team and the field...
Quote:
I can imagine that somewhere in a dark, secret control room, a bunch of manipulative, corrupt, even evil suits are smiling smugly and contently that the people believe in the system again...

Old 11.05.2008, 08:15 PM   #93
akprodr
the end of the ugly

Quote:
You are only agreeing with me here, but I don't understand how you are given hope in acknowledging the political ineptitude and power bankruptcy of your leadership?

I just wrote a lot and just deleted it all to simplify:

Obama was selling hope and I bought it. I guess its really just as simple as that.

Now that he's been elected, I'm hopeful for the future.

I assume that is the same sentiment as a lot of people.
Old 11.05.2008, 08:39 PM   #94
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
There is a fundamental difference between being a minority and actually representing minority issues in politics and government. a world of difference actually. Obama is merely a symbolic gesture, but lets see how far it actually goes.

oh definately. I just mean, being who his is, where he is, Im sure is somewhat of a comfort to a lot of people. That there might be someone who finally understands them in the drivers seat.
Old 11.05.2008, 08:50 PM   #95
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
oh definately. I just mean, being who his is, where he is, Im sure is somewhat of a comfort to a lot of people. That there might be someone who finally understands them in the drivers seat.

The real question is who actually is sitting in the seat? Is the president merely auto-pilots like in airplane?

Old 11.05.2008, 08:59 PM   #96
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I disagree. The president really is a lot like a cheeleader. The agenda for what needs doing is pretty much set. Obama needs to prioritize and direct the responses. I think Bush seriously damaged the country and the presidency with his "'cos I said so" manner. I think Obama will let us know what he is going to do and why.

Remember Mr. Reagan was known as the Great Communicator and really did get a lot of stuff done--even if I wasn't fond of it. Obama is going to do the same.

I think Obama voters voted for hope and change. I think those things will be ours if we continue to work for it.

I'm generally a cynical person but for the first time in a long time, I have hope.

Both Roosevelts were like that too.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 09:02 PM   #97
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Both Roosevelts were like that too.

so who really runs the show then? Who is the real wizard behind the curtain?

Old 11.05.2008, 09:11 PM   #98
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
so who really runs the show then? Who is the real wizard behind the curtain?

you mean smoke curtain in front of your eyes?

there's no wizard, it's just your thc-induced paranoias. it's crazy that you'll believe in "wizards," at your age!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2008, 09:23 PM   #99
akprodr
the end of the ugly

I can see how you feel that way after 8 years of Bush. Yes, certainly the oil comanies, the drug companies, and heck, anybody with money had more than their fair share of representation.

And that is among Obama's challenges: to work through the special interests to get stuff done. Will he cowtow to big money? I'm hopeful that he will be able to get stuff done.
Old 11.05.2008, 09:24 PM   #100
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
The people (as represented by the Congress) and the court system.

There are your wizards behind the curtain. Have fun denying this.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth