Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Nicola Roberts of Girls Aloud Appreciation Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.01.2008, 03:27 PM   #101
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
so then, it's a joke? I don't get British humor. Or humour or whatever.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 03:41 PM   #102
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
For real? If yr being serious, then I'm intrigued.

It's not a joke. Seriously, the best group of their sort this century. Amazing, in fact, that anything non-shit came out of the horseshitmill of 'reality' pop shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 03:42 PM   #103
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
But then again, Americans often have a hard time with pop music that is just pop music and doesn't purport to do anything else. Did the Pet Shop Boys ever do much business in the states? I doubt it.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.01.2008, 03:58 PM   #104
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
But then again, Americans often have a hard time with pop music that is just pop music and doesn't purport to do anything else. Did the Pet Shop Boys ever do much business in the states? I doubt it.

yes, the english have an insatiable and unfathomable hunger for fruity music hall shit.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 04:00 PM   #105
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
is it too obvious, too unrefined, to prefer harding & cole?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 04:03 PM   #106
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I dnt know if they did much business in the States, but they've done plenty of biznaz in my headphones!
Old 12.01.2008, 04:09 PM   #107
sarramkrop

Pet Shop Boys went to number 1 in America.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 04:19 PM   #108
sarramkrop

Duran Duran, a bunch of make up-wearing straight english dudes with a strong apetite for girls, were more famous in the states than in the uk.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 04:23 PM   #109
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I love 80's synthpop. And not in a stupid ironic way or anything. I think the genre was incredible.
Old 12.01.2008, 04:49 PM   #110
Glice
invito al cielo

Good. Then Girls Aloud are so far up your street they can see what you had for breakfast.

For the record, I maintain that Erasure were the best 'synthpop' group.

Quote:
Old 12.01.2008, 04:59 PM   #111
sarramkrop

I am a fan Duran Duran up until they started having issues, pretended to be serious, and in the process created self-conscious indie pop with out of reach aspirations like Orlando, the very last nail in the coffin. Erasure are a good pop band exactly because all that crap never bothered them much.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 05:27 PM   #112
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
But then again, Americans often have a hard time with pop music that is just pop music and doesn't purport to do anything else.

You are kidding, right? There are millions of Americans who listen to certain artists simply because they are popular.

Case In Point: The Jonas Brothers. There is absolutely NOTHING special about them or their music. Their status comes from exposure, nothing more and nothing less.
Old 12.01.2008, 05:30 PM   #113
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
You are kidding, right? There are millions of Americans who listen to certain artists simply because they are popular.

Case In Point: The Jonas Brothers. There is absolutely NOTHING special about them or their music. Their status comes from exposure, nothing more and nothing less.

Yes, but the Jonas Brothers a pop group that are doing everything in their powers to not come across as a pop group, which is clearly what they are. I agree that they're shit, but the fact that they're styled in such a way, and they have 'real' instruments and move like a 'rock' band is entirely the opposite of pop music just being pop music. You see?

Quote:
Old 12.01.2008, 05:34 PM   #114
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Well...I don't think anyone HONESTLY thinks the Jonas Brothers are a real rock band...
Old 12.01.2008, 05:40 PM   #115
Glice
invito al cielo

I actually saw them earlier this year, and a lot of the audience didn't care. Admittedly, a lot of that audience was around half my age (I'm 26), but they seemed to enjoy it, so fair play to them.

An important thing to remember - the notion of authenticity in music is usually only important to lonely, single, male teenagers.

Quote:
Old 12.01.2008, 05:47 PM   #116
sarramkrop

i only expect rob instigator at one point appearing on this thread to tell everyone that this shit doesn't rock. i think i have smelt the essence of this dump once more. it smells of piss, the piss you take out of these bunch of mentally retarded, narrow-minded music snobs.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 05:49 PM   #117
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

I'm not afraid to admit that I like some of Maroon 5's stuff. If anyone refers to them as a boy band, I tell them that at least Maroon 5 can actually play instruments and write their own stuff, which is not something N'Sync or the Backstreet Boys could ever claim.

Actually, the Jonas Brothers (I keep nearly spelling it "Borthers"-what does that say) are just the latest in the teen pop cycle that repeats at the end of every decade:

End of the 80s- New Kids on the Block, Color Me Badd
End of the 90s- Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, 98 Degrees
End of the 00s- Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana
Old 12.01.2008, 05:52 PM   #118
Glice
invito al cielo

We had Take That over here, who were amazing. We also produced the Spice Girls, so... sorry about that. Backstreet Boys had some alright songs, N'Sync a few more. Britters and Justin produced some superlative stuff.

I can't abide Maroon 5 meself, but fair play to you.

Quote:
Old 12.01.2008, 05:54 PM   #119
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
We had Take That over here, who were amazing. We also produced the Spice Girls, so... sorry about that.

LOL Apology accepted
Old 12.01.2008, 06:29 PM   #120
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I feel nothing for all this tedious pop music of which you speak.

And I feel nothing for it in a completely unironic way.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth