Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Proposition 19 - California will make recreational pot use legal November 2nd
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.01.2010, 07:05 PM   #121
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
oh and Suchfriends where da eff have ya been?
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2010, 07:22 PM   #122
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
prop 19 is absurdly written and will not and should not pass.

I have seen NO opposition amongst pro legalization groups about prop 19. Care to share some links? Or is this your opinion?
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2010, 07:44 PM   #123
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
I have seen NO opposition amongst pro legalization groups about prop 19. Care to share some links? Or is this your opinion?

of course legalization groups support it, but they are showing their naivete..

have you read the prop? Its is poorly written, vague and perfectly meaningless! It is doomed to failure, even if it passes, it will go to the courts and get overturned, not just because of the laws, but because the prop itself is not well-written as law. it even contradicts itself in several places, it is truly half-baked..

if it was meant to pass or had any real chance it would have been drafted with all the specifics of any law which should be taken seriously. BUT, as I said, it has definitely been a great boost to the cannabis movement, and many californians from all backgrounds are increasingly lenient about cannabis consumption.

The law which the governor signed today is MUCH more beneficial, as it has the tangible benefits of being an actual law. under the new law, cannabis is no longer a misdimeanor, so if I were to get arrested on the street I don't have to report it to my boss like I did before, and it won't fuck up my employment like it did the last four times I was arrested for possession.. further, most cops won't even write the ticket, as many courts have deprioritized convictions of under an ounce, the DA throws it out. Just like cops will often let you go for a traffic ticket with a warning cuz it aint wort all the trouble, so will they now be even more lenient than they already have as of recent.
I count my victories where I can get em, and I only invest my spirit into potential success, besides, I been underground with herb for so long I've started to like being a pirate about it
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
oh and Suchfriends where da eff have ya been?

I been living on newspapers, coffee, guitar strings and prayer books in an isolated bubble slightly outside y'all's patch of the Multiverse.. I am only resurfacing momentarily, soon I am off again.

"rasta passing through.."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2010, 08:09 PM   #124
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Now that I know it is only your opinion and nothing else I respectfully disagree. Not a single pro legalization organization has raised issues with the way the law is written and it has a majority lead at his point. Instead of being that horribly anal you could look at it as the best stepping stone we have to date, unless you are against legalization that is...
Old 10.01.2010, 11:19 PM   #125
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Now that I know it is only your opinion and nothing else I respectfully disagree. Not a single pro legalization organization has raised issues with the way the law is written and it has a majority lead at his point. Instead of being that horribly anal you could look at it as the best stepping stone we have to date, unless you are against legalization that is...

call it just my opinion all you'd like, but much like many ballot measures of all kinds of laws, this one is not drafted correctly and will never be implemented, even if it were to pass the election.

For example, it does not specify how many plants you can possess, and only suggests but does not specify how much cultivated cannabis you can possess. Prop 215 is much more specific, it tells you how many plants you can have growing and how many mature, budded plants you can possess, and how much drying herb you can possess. Since Prop 19 does not in fact specify, lawyers and courts will naturally interpret what it does say which is an ounce, and if you ever grew any herb in your life you would no that by limiting it to an ounce basically makes growing pointless. Further, how much fresh cannabis can I possess? Is it part of the ounce? So can I have only an ounce of fresh (ie, on the plant) and dried cannabis together? Prop 215 elaborates just the answer to this question saying exactly how many vegetative plants you can grow (irregardless of weight) and how many mature plants you can possess (irregardless of weight) and how much drying cannabis you can possess (specifically by weight, usually a pound or less), where as Prop 19 leaves an enormous, illegal and impossible hole..

It contradicts itself in several other places..

I'm telling you, there is nothing necessarily wrong with legalization legislation, however Prop 19 specifically is a bogus law.

I am not against legalization, I am against wasting our time or hope on Prop 19. If anything, the best thing they could have done was simply re-draft several aspects of the existing Prop 215 to say "for personal/recreational use" rather than just "medical" and then the law would be fine and dandy.

In other words, try again next year. With legalization, we have been fighting this fight for 80 odd years, and we shall keep fighting, and Prop 19 is not a good weapon in the fight, it is a blade of brittle steel that will break on first contact with the hard edge of the opposition. Where as, incremental decriminalization as a proven history of success, and will surely be the route for future success. Aim for cannabis to be similar in American law to alcohol, which is not necessarily legal, it is in fact restricted. Americans would never suggest out-right legalization, but they can swallow decriminalization which will inevitably lead to legal but restrict use and possession. And the law which Arnold signed today leads us exactly in that direction. yesterday a misdimeanor, today a minor infraction, tomorrow free and legal but restricted possession/use.

I am honest and pragmatic about my cannabis cultivation and consumption, and I understand how slow and steady it takes to move the hearts and minds of people to accept cannabis as perfectly normal and legitimate as a bottle of wine.. (which doctors say to drink 2 glasses a day for health alone, just as some folks should consume two spliff a day for their mental health instead of a potent concoction of anti-anxiety/anti-depressants)

Old 10.02.2010, 12:10 AM   #126
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

One step at a time brother. We gotta crawl before we can run.
Get behind this shit holmes!
Old 10.02.2010, 04:03 PM   #127
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
You are looking at it the wrong way SuchFriends

If it becomes legal which this bill is attempting to do why would you have to have an amount or certain amount of plants mature or otherwise when it's legal to have it own it and smoke it why would they have to set a controled amount?
I can have 35 cases of booze in my cellar if I want because Alcohol is legal so if grass is legal what does it matter what I have?"
Old 10.02.2010, 06:13 PM   #128
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

^
probably why not one pro legalization organization has had a problem with it.
Old 10.02.2010, 08:25 PM   #129
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
You are looking at it the wrong way SuchFriends

If it becomes legal which this bill is attempting to do why would you have to have an amount or certain amount of plants mature or otherwise when it's legal to have it own it and smoke it why would they have to set a controled amount?
I can have 35 cases of booze in my cellar if I want because Alcohol is legal so if grass is legal what does it matter what I have?"

the proposition clearly states that only an ounce or less is allowed, and since it does not specify a difference between fresh and dried cannabis, then by default the law is up to the interpretation of law enforcement as to what constitutes fresh and dried. But as it is now, an ounce is an ounce and that is the clearly specified limit.
SB 420 from 2004 clearly defines these matters, as 8 ounces of dried cannabis unless local/county government allow more (such as in Mendocino County which just in May upped the legal amount of cultivation from 25 plants to 99, in LA county its the state law of 9 vegetative plants and 6 mature plants and 8 ounces of dried cannabis) for medical growers..

so Prop 19 is not specific enough, but then again Prop 215 was not that specific either (which is why SB 420 was drafted) however the difference was Prop 215 only covered medical use, which was quite a bit less impacting then legalization for the 30 odd MILLION californians over the age of 21 who prop 19 affects.. That is precisely why even if the ballot measure passes the election, it will get shot down in the courts until it carries language like in SB 420 to specify cultivation as there is literally a risk of MILLIONS of legal misunderstandings by the confusing language of the proposition..

Further, Prop 19 discusses sales and local taxation but does not quite specify the logistics on how to enforce this, had for example it designated a state-wide tax code and sales regulation standards and also established a state-wide agency to deal with enforcement and collection of such revinues (such as the Prop 10 cigarette tax in 1998 which established a specific fund and agency to collect and distribute the revinues from the tax)..

Like I said, better luck next time.

BUT AGAIN, the SB1449 bill signed yesterday is a landmark achievement, now possession is simply a traffic citation, which does not go on any record nor do you have to declare such arrests to any agency which asks (such as employers and background checks)..

Legalize It and I-man will advertise it (fo sho!!) but Prop 19 does not legalize it according to current standards of california law, and as such will be declared illegal by the Courts (and of course the Obama administration has also reiterated that while it has no intention of prosecuting Prop215 cases, it will indeed put full federal force against any legalization attempts by ANY states as the prop violates Federal Narcotics Scheduling and also the Drug-Free Work Place Act..)

jah! rastafari

Old 10.03.2010, 01:46 AM   #130
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
thank gawd somebody else fucking gets it.

I've been saying just as much for months.

props.
space is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2010, 08:13 AM   #131
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

You two are misinterpreting the new prop or pro legalization organizations would be all over it. For example the specified ounce limit is what you can have on you in public... that doesn't mean you can't have more at home (fresh or dried).

Again, show some links to this being more than just your opinion OR show me your lawyers degree. Otherwise feel free to continue with the hot air that ain't helping legalization one bit.
Old 10.03.2010, 10:19 AM   #132
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Again, show some links to this being more than just your opinion OR show me your lawyers degree. Otherwise feel free to continue with the hot air that ain't helping legalization one bit.

while you often may have good points to make or may support worthy causes, how come you always argue dunce-like?

e.g., "show me your law degree"

show us your law degree first to prove that your wishful thinking has not been a bunch of caca all along.

i'm not saying you're wrong or suchfriends is right. i'm sayin, you have a very stupid way to argue things. it's like you have the heart of a liberal but the brains of a teabagger. "show me links..."

suchfriends argued his point well-- can't you refute him without the "show me links" pathetic answer of last resort? what do you think links are, magic fairy dust for the mind? irrefutable truths from beyond? you're using the fallacy of appeal to authority to cover up your lack of a proper response.

you want a link to explain that? here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

now, refute suchfriends with a good argument, or ask him to clarify things, or shut the fuck up, but please avoid this 3rd-grader-with-a-computer type of discussion you're accustomed to carry out. it's embarrassing.

sorry i intervened in somebody else's fight, but utterly dumb posts in the morning give me hives. if you want your cause to win at least learn how to properly argue for it. "show me your law degree"-- this type of horribly desperate answer is disturbing enough to make a grown man cry.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2010, 11:58 AM   #133
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
while you often may have good points to make or may support worthy causes, how come you always argue dunce-like?

While you may be trying to compliment me, I'd rather not be patronized.

Every pro legalization organization supports prop 19. I simply ask for them to back up their point of view past their own opinion. I don't understand why this is too much to ask. Let prop 19 take care of legalization and let future laws take care of the details if needed. It seems pointless to go against the best chance at legalization America has ever seen. SB1449 will be a moot point in all of this hopefully and only frees up legal resources (courts) and doesn't add any added tax revenue.
Old 10.03.2010, 12:12 PM   #134
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
You do know that patronising means talking down to someone? I just want to be clear that you've understood what you've just typed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2010, 12:14 PM   #135
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_19_(2010)

This I believe is the real place to go for understanding. Your link is a back handed attempt to make some one look foolish imo.

So according to this the bill states that I can carry and ounce and I can grow as much as I want in a 25 ft square area of my house or land that I own. Then it will be up to the local cities to decide if they want to license
places to sell it or allow people to smoke on their property. It will be up to the cities to decide if they want to allow you to carry more than an ounce.
So the actual vagueness of the bill stems from the fact that it throws it back to the cities to decide how they wish to handle it including taxing it.
Although you know the state is going to apply their own tax to it which will probably be 50 bucks an ounce.

So from what I read on this site while it does state an ounce as the starting point it isn't concrete. There is room to change it which obviously is going to happen once it's ratified.

Right now it's running 52 for 48 against from the polls I saw.
Old 10.03.2010, 12:19 PM   #136
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Let prop 19 take care of stopping innocent people from being incarcerated immediately. Let future laws take care of the details if needed. It seems pointless to go against the best chance at legalization America has ever seen.
this is the point that you don't understand. prop 19 will be OVERTURNED immediately.

if "te best chance at legalization" is a half-ass attempt, then it's going to be even longer than I've feared.

the Feds won't let this stand. the Feds will be the ones financing the DEA to come knocking down doors of growers (if only to make a point).

all the weed smokers that think "yay, man, I can, like, grow my weed and, like, smoke it on the beach, dude"* will find themselves not only in jail for federal mandatory minimums, they'll also find themselves charged with tax evasion.

like, good times, man, dude.

ps: my law degee is in my pants. yr welcome to see it.

*this is, like, california.
Old 10.03.2010, 12:25 PM   #137
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_19_(2010)

This I believe is the real place to go for understanding. Your link is a back handed attempt to make some one look foolish imo.

So according to this the bill states that I can carry and ounce and I can grow as much as I want in a 25 ft square area of my house or land that I own. Then it will be up to the local cities to decide if they want to license
places to sell it or allow people to smoke on their property. It will be up to the cities to decide if they want to allow you to carry more than an ounce.
So the actual vagueness of the bill stems from the fact that it throws it back to the cities to decide how they wish to handle it including taxing it.
Although you know the state is going to apply their own tax to it which will probably be 50 bucks an ounce.

So from what I read on this site while it does state an ounce as the starting point it isn't concrete. There is room to change it which obviously is going to happen once it's ratified.

Right now it's running 52 for 48 against from the polls I saw.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Thank you.
When every organization supports a proposition you know they've had their legal dudes have a look. So when I see a handful of schmucks sitting at their keyboards, tapping away from their highchair... well, I don't usually buy it. Trust the source.

God... such douchery.
Old 10.03.2010, 12:25 PM   #138
space
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
So according to this the bill states that I can carry and ounce and I can grow as much as I want in a 25 ft square area of my house or land that I own.

which means that those plants that yr growing in yr 25 square ft area can only add up to 1 oz. lol?

has anyone here actually grown weed? even a dwarf afghani will produce almost a pound.

don't ever answer the doorbell.
Old 10.03.2010, 12:29 PM   #139
space
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
God... such douchery.

kettle calling pot black..
Old 10.15.2010, 10:27 AM   #140
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
[Eric Holder, US Attorney General] made the comments in a letter to former chiefs of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. The Associated Press obtained a copy of the letter, dated Wednesday.
"We will vigorously enforce the CSA against those individuals and organizations that possess, manufacture or distribute marijuana for recreational use, even if such activities are permitted under state law," Holder wrote.
He also said that legalizing recreational marijuana in California would be a "significant impediment" to the government's joint efforts with state and local law enforcement to target drug traffickers, who often distribute marijuana alongside cocaine and other drugs. Holder said approval of the ballot measure would "significantly undermine" efforts to keep California communities safe.

STATES RIGHTS!!!
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth