Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page God vs Evolution, can't we all just get along? (NOVA: Intelligent Design on Trial)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.12.2009, 07:08 AM   #121
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article....entid=14045317
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2009, 11:56 AM   #122
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
This is why there is only one true god and that is Mario.

May his blessings rain upon us in the form of magic mushrooms

Mario Liturgy

thats not the proper liturgy, that was just a homily (commentary after scripture reading)and a litany (prayer used in a worship service)..

a proper liturgy would involve things like:

(Priest in bat stereotypical Italian accent)
One Is the Holy Mario, One is the Holy Luigi, One is the Holy Yoshi

(people)
Truly Mario is Holy, Truly Luigi is Holy, Truly Yoshi is Holy..

(Priest in bad stereotypical Italian accent)
And Praise Him all you Sidesteppers, Praise Him all you Shellcreepers.

(Deacon)
Stand Up For Prayer

Peace be unto you

(people)
Mario have mercy

and it is sung to this music here by dual guitarist Zack Kim Zack Kim Super Mario theme

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2009, 12:06 PM   #123
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
It doesn't bother me if people feel differently than I do, as long as they firmly believe it.

What I can't stand that I've seen a lot of here is complete apathy towards the question of where we came from. Sure, in your day to day life, it doesn't affect you. You aren't putting your pants on differently than an atheist because you believe in God. But overall, in your role as a human being (and you do have a roll, even if you chose not to fulfill it), you need to decide for yourself one way or the other.

Because if there is a God, it is very important to know if he plans to do anything about the conditions in the world and if you need to do anything specific in order to benefit from his plans.

But if there is not a God, than you need to be willing to try and step in, try and make some changes in the world yourself.

The fact is, the world is going to crap, and as long as you firmly believe one way or the other, even if you are wrong in the end, you can at least say you tried.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2009, 12:43 PM   #124
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
yeah its kinda funny to me how people "just don't know" and leave it at that.
like, u think it doesn't affect you or somethin? "this affects all of us"

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2009, 01:13 PM   #125
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
thats not the proper liturgy, that was just a homily (commentary after scripture reading)and a litany (prayer used in a worship service)..

a proper liturgy would involve things like:

(Priest in bat stereotypical Italian accent)
One Is the Holy Mario, One is the Holy Luigi, One is the Holy Yoshi

(people)
Truly Mario is Holy, Truly Luigi is Holy, Truly Yoshi is Holy..

And Praise Him all you Sidesteppers, Praise Him all you Shellcreepers.

(Deacon)
Stand Up For Prayer

Peace be unto you

(people)
Mario have mercy

and it is sung to this music here by dual guitarist Zack Kim Zack Kim Super Mario theme

Thy will be done
Old 02.12.2009, 01:15 PM   #126
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Thy will be done

and the Hail Mario probably should have been to the Princess instead..

Old 02.12.2009, 02:56 PM   #127
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
How depressing and scary:

http://environment.uk.msn.com/green-...entid=13644697
Old 02.12.2009, 03:00 PM   #128
sarramkrop

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2009, 03:07 PM   #129
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
fuck the princess. that bitch is always getting into trouble. I vouch only for the divinity of Lord Mario, not of his wenches.
Old 02.12.2009, 03:19 PM   #130
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
My bio teacher in 9th grade always said

"It was an evolutionary advantage or god made it that way."

He taught evolution, but I thought he handled that pretty well.

As long as teachers teach children to be open to multiple viewpoints it's all good.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2009, 04:04 PM   #131
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

in a science class, anything other than science is fuckery.

teaching kids to be open-minded is a parent's job.

schools should teach critical thinking, which is what you do AFTER having an open mind.
Old 02.12.2009, 05:00 PM   #132
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
yeah its kinda funny to me how people "just don't know" and leave it at that.
like, u think it doesn't affect you or somethin? "this affects all of us"

I'm fine with not knowing. I'll let those dedicated to figuring out the truth, figure it out.
What happens outside of this world affects us, but what we do does not affect it, so why preach? What ever happens happens.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2009, 05:00 PM   #133
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
in a science class, anything other than science is fuckery.

YES.

by the way, this week at fuppets looks awesome.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2009, 05:07 PM   #134
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

arsitotlean logic says things are either YES/NO

actual working logic has to make room for the maybe/I don't know

I don't know is as valid as yes and No.

sometimes even more truthful.

(thanks for the eyes on the fuppets, !#$%^! all readership is much appreciated here)
Old 02.12.2009, 05:15 PM   #135
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
(thanks for the eyes on the fuppets, !#$%^! all readership is much appreciated here)

eh, thank you for compiling all that awesome info in a single place. plus, "fuppets" scratched on darwin's forehead is hilarious.
Old 02.12.2009, 05:33 PM   #136
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
arsitotlean logic says things are either YES/NO

actual working logic has to make room for the maybe/I don't know

I don't know is as valid as yes and No.

sometimes even more truthful.

Yes, but you can take a firm stance on "I don't know," on believing that the truth is unattainable. But being apathetic is not saying I don't know, it's saying I don't care.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2009, 05:40 PM   #137
Lurker
invito al cielo

Can people please look at those last two links I posted? I really want someone to comment on them, particularly the second one.
Old 02.12.2009, 05:46 PM   #138
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
Can people please look at those last two links I posted? I really want someone to comment on them, particularly the second one.

1. dna eruption = ALIEN VIRUS (ask floatingslowly)

2. tech evolution = of course! cyberpunk saw this in the 80s. read early gibson. or watch the ghost in the shell tv series. good shit! not depressing.
Old 02.12.2009, 05:55 PM   #139
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Lurker, while there are many concerns regarding human evolution, it is a conceit to say that we now control everything that cold affect our ongoing evolution.

it is still continuing in many ways. for example, our jaws.

humans are the only animal in which nearly every single member of our species has dental bite issues. Our jaws and teeth and mouths are still evolving egneration to generation due to the rapid (in earth-time terms) development of easier to eat foods, cooking, and language, all of which make use of our mouth parts in ways that were not dictated by the environment.
OUr jaws are getting smaller and our teeth are getting smaller and smaller in number. Almost no one has a perfect set of teeth in a perfect jaw with a perfect bite. nearly all other vertebrates with teeth have nearly universally similar bites. You may see one dog in 1 thousand with some bite issues, but in the large sense they all have perfect bites. their jaws stopped changing until humans got involved in their breeding.

when vertebrate animals mature, their upper teeth nearly perfectly meet up with their lower teeth. this applies to all animals. Humans, not so much. There is a foreseeable possibility that as our food gets smaller and our use of language grows or shrinks, our mouths could become very small, even toothless.

humans have one thing that is new, at least a sfar as we know. that is the ability to willfully alter our environment and ourselves based on knowing what the outcome will be. we can exxcefcrise knowing we will be stronger for it. we can get dental work, knowing it will make for far easier chewing.
in this respect the second article you posted makes me think of a possibility put forth by many thinkers, that humans are on our way, mentally at least, to be able to comprehend the universe , ourslves,a nd our place in it, in a manner which can only be called god-like.

what if all our god myths all our creation myths, all our fables about supernaturaL beings are just our prescience, our human colecive unconscious preparing us for the time wehn we as a species will rise so far above the "natural world" that we will be like gods?
Old 02.12.2009, 06:43 PM   #140
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Meso-american mythology which continues through even today in the highlands and rural regions of central/southern mexico and central amerca believe in a kind of spiritual evolution which is taking place currently, caused in part by a physical change in the structure of the universe..

I think it is a very interesting concept, as it speaks of coming generations to shift from a practical, materialistic mindestate to one more intuitive and spiritual, the results of which might just bridge this gap if correct.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth