Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.12.2015, 04:30 PM   #1481
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
apparently Drake was throwing subliminals at him all over If You're Reading This.

Ok, can you please clear this up for me: what exactly does “throwing subliminals” mean in reference to hip hop?

You can't possibly mean actual subliminal messages... right? It must just be slang for thinly veiled insults... Eh?

No way drake has the knowledge of frequency or perceptual recognition to personally weave sublimated stimuli into his recordings or album covers...

Though I'm sure he has a sound engineer or two, and a capable visual marketing guy. But seriously, it's slang for talkin shit, right?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2015, 07:31 PM   #1482
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
But seriously, it's slang for talkin shit, right?
haha yes but lightly, without mentioning any names.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2015, 07:39 PM   #1483
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
BTW: know how I said I'd buy the physical release of Compton when it came out? Well, after reading that it wasn't hitting stores until the end of the month, I got impatient and bought it through iTunes.

And holy shit, it's really fucking good, fellas! It sounds fresh as hell. Vibrant and immediate. It's so much better than I was expecting.
yeah! this album is flames *hi-five*.

i'm starting to notice how Anderson Paak, who was completely unheard of before this album, absolutely steals the show here. Animals is my favorite song so far, i swear Preemo's beats will always be the hardest.
Old 08.12.2015, 07:47 PM   #1484
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Woah whut? The Blueprint is amazing.
Old 08.13.2015, 12:42 PM   #1485
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Woah whut? The Blueprint is amazing.

But for an unfortunate Eminem track passing as a Jigga joint called Renegade. I will never understand why that, of all songs, had to be on that album (of all albums).

Yeah, The Blueprint is incredible of course, but it's not a perfect 10 and never will be. Not for me anyway. Just illustrating how much I can't stand Em... cuz you all know how much I love HOV.
Old 08.13.2015, 12:50 PM   #1486
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah! this album is flames *hi-five*.

i'm starting to notice how Anderson Paak, who was completely unheard of before this album, absolutely steals the show here. Animals is my favorite song so far, i swear Preemo's beats will always be the hardest.

I can't even pick a favorite. It just clips right along, rarely letting up. But Genocide, One Shot One Kill, Deep Water and Just Another Day are all definite standouts. Kendrick brings the motherfuckin' fire as always. I'm not sure he's ever sounded quite so completely in control. And GOD it feels good to hear Snoop fuckin' rap.

Yeah, I'm digging it.
Old 08.13.2015, 01:07 PM   #1487
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
And there was me starting to think I was going insane at how no one was talking about it on here.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2015, 02:26 AM   #1488
louder
invito al cielo

last few albums i've heard:

new FKA twigs EP - excellent.

Chief Keef "Bang 3" - pretty good, but definitely worse than Almighty So and Back from the Dead 2, Keef is heading to a less adventurous area.

Gunplay's debut - solid album, but the production is outdated and some of the features suck.

Lil B and Chance tape - fun for the most part but i'll never listen again.

Migos' debut - horrible. Quavo definitely outshines the other two rappers, he needs to go solo and make autotuned R&B ballads.
Old 08.15.2015, 12:07 PM   #1489
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
last few albums i've heard:

new FKA twigs EP - excellent.

Was there ever any doubt? I need to get my paws on this with the quickness.

Quote:
Chief Keef "Bang 3" - pretty good, but definitely worse than Almighty So and Back from the Dead 2, Keef is heading to a less adventurous area.

Wasn't Bang 3 originally recorded as the Finally Rich follow-up? I read part of the Pitchfork review (yeah, I know) and it seemed to confirm this, but I admittedly don't know a great deal about Keef, being only familiar with his guest work and his mixtapes.

But if this is the case, and Bang 3 has been sitting on the shelf, or in some kind of legal grey area, since Keef's Interscope days, then we can take comfort in the fact that the clean, relatively accessible sound is less an indication of where Chief Keef is going, and more of a relic of where he's been.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't actually heard it yet, but I've really loved his 2015 mixtape arsenal, so I'm much more interested in the prolific, crazy ass post major label Keef than I am in any remaining pop inclinations he may have.

Quote:
Gunplay's debut - solid album, but the production is outdated and some of the features suck.

I've been looking forward to this one, so I hope it turns out to be a grower. AgainI haven't heard it yet. My ability to download anything other than iTunes music has been severely limited since we moved into this house I'm renovating in the stickiest part of the sticks.

Quote:
Lil B and Chance tape - fun for the most part but i'll never listen again.

I decided to stay away from this one completely once I realized what the premise was. I want a proper follow up to Acid Rap (which I've been able to listen to and enjoy again recently, for the first time since I played it into the motherfucking ground back in 2013), and I'm not interested in hearing any more one-off experiments or fuck-arounds. They just aren't doing it for me. Why has Chance been testing fate like this?

The Underachievers were the other big mixtape winners of 2013, and they're about to drop their second full length official studio LP since Indigoism! If you count the phenomenal solo EP's AK and Issa have dropped in this time, that basically amounts to 3 full albums' and one mixtape of pure, top quality Underachievers material in the same amount of time Chance has released... uhh... Nothing! He contributed to Surf, and played Lil B with Lil B, but that motherfucker better get cracking before he misses his shot.

Quote:
Migos' debut - horrible. Quavo definitely outshines the other two rappers, he needs to go solo and make autotuned R&B ballads.

Sad news.
Old 08.15.2015, 12:10 PM   #1490
Severian
invito al cielo

Why is it that Joey Bada$$ and Vince Staples (and to a lesser extent Action Bronson) have been the only motherfuckers to successfully drop a legitimate debut album in 2015? All these other hype ass rappers have only managed to swan dive right in their fucking faces! Look at Young Thug's bitch ass! Yuck. Last year Migos had the world by the junk, and now they've fucked it up too?

My advice: stop releasing "debut albums" that have one foot in the "mixtape" world, and don't even come with a proper physical release. That is not how you set the world on fire!

I appreciate B4.DA.$$ More with every listen. In terms of flow and lyrical content and pure technical skill, it's second only to TPAB. If You're Reading This has a more sophisticated mood and Tetsuo & Youth has better production... Summertime '06 is probably a more enthralling album, but Joey Bada$$ dropped a sleeper hit that feels more like a classic every day.
It's such a great album, and it's only become greater, so much so that I can't rule out the possibility that it might end up being the Rap album of the year.
Old 08.16.2015, 04:52 AM   #1491
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Wasn't Bang 3 originally recorded as the Finally Rich follow-up? I read part of the Pitchfork review (yeah, I know) and it seemed to confirm this, but I admittedly don't know a great deal about Keef, being only familiar with his guest work and his mixtapes.

But if this is the case, and Bang 3 has been sitting on the shelf, or in some kind of legal grey area, since Keef's Interscope days, then we can take comfort in the fact that the clean, relatively accessible sound is less an indication of where Chief Keef is going, and more of a relic of where he's been.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't actually heard it yet, but I've really loved his 2015 mixtape arsenal, so I'm much more interested in the prolific, crazy ass post major label Keef than I am in any remaining pop inclinations he may have.
the thing is, in the last few months Keef got signed by a greek billionaire and re-recorded the entire album, except "Superheroes" with A$AP Rocky which was intended for the original Bang 3 on Interscope. Superheroes is easily the best song on the album and makes me wish we got the original Bang 3 instead.. Interscope probably dropped him because they couldn't handle his weirdness. he's clearly guided now and that's the last thing i want from him, his beautiful "mistakes" made him so interesting.

this is a great line though: "remember having pistol fights/ now i'm having food fights", pretty much sums up Keef's evolution in the last couple of years.

Quote:
I've been looking forward to this one, so I hope it turns out to be a grower. AgainI haven't heard it yet. My ability to download anything other than iTunes music has been severely limited since we moved into this house I'm renovating in the stickiest part of the sticks.
Gunplay is a great rapper, it's just that there's almost nothing interesting going on there musically. it's not his fault though. dude just needs more support from his label.
Old 08.20.2015, 01:45 AM   #1492
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Snoop and Daz approve of this message.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2015, 04:04 AM   #1493
louder
invito al cielo

updated top 10:

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Miguel - Wildheart
Drake - If You're Reading This, It's Too Late
Dr. Dre - Compton
Vince Staples - Summertime '06
Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
Future - DS2 / 56 Nights / Beast Mode
FKA twigs - M3LL155X EP
Björk - Vulnicura
Jazmine Sullivan - Reality Show
Old 08.22.2015, 08:14 AM   #1494
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Kool Keith dont make it over Drake? DRAKE??

Old 08.22.2015, 08:14 AM   #1495
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Old 08.22.2015, 09:15 AM   #1496
louder
invito al cielo

mothafuckin' DRIZZY DRAKE!!
Old 08.22.2015, 11:01 AM   #1497
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
updated top 10:

Miguel - Wildheart
Drake - If You're Reading This, It's Too Late
Dr. Dre - Compton
Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
Future - DS2 / 56 Nights / Beast Mode
FKA twigs - M3LL155X EP
Björk - Vulnicura
Jazmine Sullivan - Reality Show

Your overall top 10 then, not just hip-hop... that's cool. Good list bro.

I am not yet ready to talk general top 10's yet, but here's how hip-hop is looking at the moment (changes are constant an inevitable)

Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$
Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late
A$AP Rocky - At.Long.Last.A$AP
Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
Kool Keith & L'Orange - Time? Astonishing!
Ghostface Killah & Adrian Younge - 12 Reasons to Die II
Dr. Dre - Compton
Curren$y - Pilot Talk 3
Old 08.22.2015, 11:09 AM   #1498
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Kool Keith's album is incredible for sure. I didn't stop listening to it at all for the first week or so. But it's mighty short, and easy to play out. Drake's record is a slow burner. It's been in and out of rotation all year, but every time it comes back in it sounds better. They're really different albums, and incomparable artists but I'd put Drake over Keith for 2015 too.
Old 08.27.2015, 01:06 PM   #1499
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Sighs. Sometimes y'all have way to much Pitchfork taste in music man... its a good thing we're all friends here

Old 08.27.2015, 03:18 PM   #1500
Severian
invito al cielo

Ok, what are your favorite hip-hop albums of the year so far, SFAD?
65727374 75 76777885 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth