Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Are we living in a police state?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are we living in a police state?
Yes, we are 26 50.00%
No, we are not 6 11.54%
I don't know and/or don't care 3 5.77%
I am not a U.S. Citizen 17 32.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10.15.2007, 09:34 AM   #141
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them little mechanical fly-bots on a documentary a few years ago, I can't imagine them being very useful.
I hate the idea of cameras in streets that monitor everything that goes on, sure they come in handy every now and then, but ultimately I hate the idea that I could be monitored walking down a street, it seems such an intrusion of privacy, even though it is a public space. Thankfully they don't really have many in the part of town where I live.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2007, 12:27 PM   #142
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
in principle i don't object (except when having a post pub wee up a tree) but ultimately I have two objections that sort of contradict one another:

1. As an individual I resent people I don't know having information about my everyday travels. While these mostly only entail trips to work, pub, bank, pub, comic shop, pub, record shop, pub, friends, and the occasional visit to the pub, it makes me uncomfortable that this informastion is on record.

2. The way it's been used as a replacement for police actually on the street.

We've seen a lot of privacy encroachment here in America ourselves, but that's some country you got going there.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...icle334686.ece

Britain will be first country to monitor every car journey
From 2006 Britain will be the first country where every journey by every car will be monitored

By Steve Connor, Science Editor

Published: 22 December 2005

Britain is to become the first country in the world where the movements of all vehicles on the roads are recorded. A new national surveillance system will hold the records for at least two years.
Using a network of cameras that can automatically read every passing number plate, the plan is to build a huge database of vehicle movements so that the police and security services can analyse any journey a driver has made over several years.
The network will incorporate thousands of existing CCTV cameras which are being converted to read number plates automatically night and day to provide 24/7 coverage of all motorways and main roads, as well as towns, cities, ports and petrol-station forecourts.
By next March a central database installed alongside the Police National Computer in Hendon, north London, will store the details of 35 million number-plate "reads" per day. These will include time, date and precise location, with camera sites monitored by global positioning satellites.
Already there are plans to extend the database by increasing the storage period to five years and by linking thousands of additional cameras so that details of up to 100 million number plates can be fed each day into the central databank.
Senior police officers have described the surveillance network as possibly the biggest advance in the technology of crime detection and prevention since the introduction of DNA fingerprinting.
But others concerned about civil liberties will be worried that the movements of millions of law-abiding people will soon be routinely recorded and kept on a central computer database for years.
The new national data centre of vehicle movements will form the basis of a sophisticated surveillance tool that lies at the heart of an operation designed to drive criminals off the road.
In the process, the data centre will provide unrivalled opportunities to gather intelligence data on the movements and associations of organised gangs and terrorist suspects whenever they use cars, vans or motorcycles.
The scheme is being orchestrated by the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) and has the full backing of ministers who have sanctioned the spending of £24m this year on equipment.
More than 50 local authorities have signed agreements to allow the police to convert thousands of existing traffic cameras so they can read number plates automatically. The data will then be transmitted to Hendon via a secure police communications network.
Chief constables are also on the verge of brokering agreements with the Highways Agency, supermarkets and petrol station owners to incorporate their own CCTV cameras into the network. In addition to cross-checking each number plate against stolen and suspect vehicles held on the Police National Computer, the national data centre will also check whether each vehicle is lawfully licensed, insured and has a valid MoT test certificate.
"Every time you make a car journey already, you'll be on CCTV somewhere. The difference is that, in future, the car's index plates will be read as well," said Frank Whiteley, Chief Constable of Hertfordshire and chairman of the Acpo steering committee on automatic number plate recognition (ANPR).
"What the data centre should be able to tell you is where a vehicle was in the past and where it is now, whether it was or wasn't at a particular location, and the routes taken to and from those crime scenes. Particularly important are associated vehicles," Mr Whiteley said.
The term "associated vehicles" means analysing convoys of cars, vans or trucks to see who is driving alongside a vehicle that is already known to be of interest to the police. Criminals, for instance, will drive somewhere in a lawful vehicle, steal a car and then drive back in convoy to commit further crimes "You're not necessarily interested in the stolen vehicle. You're interested in what's moving with the stolen vehicle," Mr Whiteley explained.
According to a strategy document drawn up by Acpo, the national data centre in Hendon will be at the heart of a surveillance operation that should deny criminals the use of the roads.
"The intention is to create a comprehensive ANPR camera and reader infrastructure across the country to stop displacement of crime from area to area and to allow a comprehensive picture of vehicle movements to be captured," the Acpo strategy says.
"This development forms the basis of a 24/7 vehicle movement database that will revolutionise arrest, intelligence and crime investigation opportunities on a national basis," it says.
Mr Whiteley said MI5 will also use the database. "Clearly there are values for this in counter-terrorism," he said.
"The security services will use it for purposes that I frankly don't have access to. It's part of public protection. If the security services did not have access to this, we'd be negligent."
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2007, 06:25 AM   #143
gast30
invito al cielo

gast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's asses
long time ago, there was this place called europe
the peoples were living in peace and harmony
until a day a wich came to live in a great forest far away from the chuches and houses

a hunter had noticed her and spoke about her wen he came back to the town
"this cannot be happening" said the preacher, " what if everyone started to live a free life, no no no"

it all started long time ago, before the was amerika
the church held books and list of peoples name to have a better control over the sheeps, together with the rich and the royal kings and queens
that was the old police state

the new is the church/multinationals/ freemaseners
you see the triangle, what's also on the dollar bill
the rich peoples/soulcollectors on top / mid class / poor peopels

in ape languish- apes with a lot of fruit on top-they dominate the control

that's why woman like man with money, so their baby's could eat a banana
it's very simple
gast30 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2007, 06:26 AM   #144
gast30
invito al cielo

gast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's asses
what a evolution lol
gast30 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2007, 08:57 AM   #145
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Randi Rhodes is the Victim of a Violent Attack

<<edited>>
Rhodes' lawyer told the Daily News she was injured in a fall while walking her dog. He said she's not sure what happened, and only knows that she fell down and is in a lot of pain. The lawyer said Rhodes expects to be back on the air Thursday. He stressed there is no indication she was targeted or that she was the victim of a "hate crime."

stupid internet
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2007, 10:03 AM   #146
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
So someone gets assaulted, people then, because of the persons occupation start speculating that it must be the "evil right" trying to take out a "left wing" bastion of free speech. Theres responsible and factual reporting for you. The person concerned wasnt even hospitalised and people wonder why it didnt make the news? Oh dear, how sad, never mind. Did anyone speculate that the joggers tracksuit was so offensive visually that said jogger deserved a smack in the absence of fashion police?
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2007, 10:03 AM   #147
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Just because Neil Young hasn't announced the fascist coup doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Handcuffed, Assaulted, Ticketed By Cop For Distributing 9/11 DVD's
Harassment, unconstitutional search, attempted frame-up of Livonia man for truth movement activism

Prison Planet Exclusive | October 15, 2007
Paul Joseph Watson
A Michigan man was harassed, handcuffed, assaulted, branded "unpatriotic" and subjected to an unconstitutional search of his vehicle during which drugs were allegedly planted, before being ticketed by a police officer for the apparent crime of freely distributing DVD's about 9/11 truth earlier this month.
Josh Skoll was driving in his car when he noticed a slowly moving vehicle without its lights on in front of him. The vehicle's light were turned on shortly after Josh passed the car, identifying it as a Livonia "Charger" police cruiser. Josh stopped about 10 seconds later to continue delivering free 9/11 truth DVD's to homes along his route before the police officer began to question him.
The officer asked Skoll who the owner of the house he had stopped at was, to which Skoll responded that he didn't know, upon which the officer told him that he needed a permit to hand out free DVD's and ordered him to return to his vehicle.

The officer then ran Josh's license plate and ordered him to again step out of his vehicle. As soon as Skoll exited the vehicle, he was slapped in handcuffs and threatened with arrest.
With increasing anger, the officer slammed Josh against the car and announced that he would search his vehicle before detaining Skoll inside the police cruiser.
Shortly after proceeding with the unconstitutional search, the cop returned with a small bag of marijuana that Skoll claims was planted. Skoll noted later that his other belongings had hardly been moved during the search.
The officer continued to voice more threats asking Josh why he shouldn't be taken jail before interrogating him about the information contained on the DVD's he had been freely distributing. Despite Skoll's best efforts to explain, the cop dismissed him as "unpatriotic," "unfit for the military" and "too young to have an opinion."
Josh was eventually allowed to leave but not before being cited for a misdemeanor and given a ticket. The comments section of the ticket reads "passing out 9-11 CD's," which is supposedly now a crime in police state America. Skoll's court date is to be set within the next few weeks.
Skoll is not the first to be harassed and abused by police for handing out free information.
In 2004, Kelly Rushing was charged with making "terroristic threats" after he handed out Alex Jones' videos and recordings of a Ron Paul speech on C-Span to Lyon County, Kentucky officials and Kentucky State Trooper Lewis Dobbs.
A jury later ruled in favor of Rushing but he continues to be harassed by authorities and local law enforcement.
Old 10.16.2007, 10:15 AM   #148
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
I just had a look at prisonplanet.com.

Hmm funny everything for sale on there seems to be by a guy called, you guessed it, ALEX JONES!

Looks like a responsible site, with banners stating "77 listeners needed to test amazing "black listed" herbal product!"

Good to see Alex Jones has a use for his listeners

Just the sort of site I would rely on for factually accurate reporting
Old 10.16.2007, 01:31 PM   #149
tesla69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePits
I just had a look at prisonplanet.com.

Hmm funny everything for sale on there seems to be by a guy called, you guessed it, ALEX JONES!

Looks like a responsible site, with banners stating "77 listeners needed to test amazing "black listed" herbal product!"

Good to see Alex Jones has a use for his listeners

Just the sort of site I would rely on for factually accurate reporting

unlike the uncorrupted NBC or CBS or NY Times corporate MSN(mainstream news)? Its easy to smear him, he doesn't have a capital worth of several billion and a thousand massmedia outlets.
Why does everyone assume his links are assertions of facts when they are really just indications of tendencies. Yet NBC is totally legitimated when it is really just a front for corporate marketers?
Old 10.16.2007, 02:42 PM   #150
ThePits
stalker

As I dont watch NBC, CBS or read the NY Times I cant comment on what they broadcast/publish

As for this guy, I didnt smear him I simply stated fact

The guy speculated

Its a huge quantum leap from fact to supposition that because someone is assaulted it has to be a conspiracy

That is the essence of what you pasted

An alternative theory is the person had crap clothing sense and deserved a smack in the mouth for giving everyone optical damage

There is one theory, with absolutely no supporting evidence, that it was a "right wing" conspiracy, and several thousand others that it was a mugging gone bad, a lunatic, someone who didnt like her hair etc etc

I just find it irresponsible of people to report as "news" unfounded speculative drivel like that

Some of the stuff you post has some really well thought out points in it, well researched and accurate

That one was an idiot taking leaps in logic that would make a corkscrew look straight

And if Alex Jones wants to be taken seriously he should drop dumbass appeals for "77 listeners to test amazing "black listed" herbal product"
Old 10.19.2007, 01:46 PM   #151
tesla69
Banned

I don't know where I speculated about any conspiracy above its like you guys have to label anything as conspiracy unless it is legitmated by the corporate press. Thus Cheney and Pakistani intelligence are reported as allies, not a conspiracy of death like it should be - Mohammed Atta meeting with heroin dealers and their secret meetings and OH DEAR! I'm a conspiracy terrorist - I keep posting to this thread to show the tendencies of american cops these days - who we learn are begin trained around the country by Blackwater. But there's no conspiracy there...keep up the self censorship, folks, Rove approves!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==
The Maricopa County Attorney's Office is demanding that Phoenix New Times turn over records relating to anyone who has visited the newspaper's Web site in the past four years.

A grand-jury subpoena asks for Web addresses, shopping habits and information about what Internet sites readers visited before logging onto the New Times.

Legal experts say the subpoena, which also demands reporters' notes and records on stories going back three years, is overreaching and unconstitutional.

But the case raises important issues about privacy and serves as a reminder about the amount of information someone leaves when they use a computer to visit a Web site.

Among the items the subpoena demands are:

• Documents, notes, e-mails and any other material related to a series of articles written by several New Times reporters.

• An accounting of the number of people who viewed each article online.

• A list of every page on the New Times site that users have visited since Jan. 1, 2004. That would include the names of every person who read any story, ad or listing in the paper.

• Any information obtained from "cookies" on the New Times site. Cookies are used to identify and track an individual's computer use. Think of it as an online fingerprint of what you have touched on a specific Internet site.

• The computer domain name of anyone accessing the paper's Web site, phxnewtimes.com. A domain name identifies a computer or computer network used to access the Web.

• All Web sites that readers visited prior to opening the New Times site. That would include any site - bank, social networking, news, information, pornographic - that a reader visited before logging onto New Times.

• The dates and times of all visits to the New Times site.

• The browser used by each New Times reader, such as Internet Explorer or Firefox.

• The type of operating system software used by each New Times reader.
Old 10.19.2007, 02:04 PM   #152
ThePits
stalker

Um you need to read what I actually said not what you think I said

I said "As for this guy, I didnt smear him I simply stated fact

The guy speculated"

I also note from your update of that article that its now gone from a conspiracy of the right to beat her off of the air to she fell whilst walking her dog

As for believing what the media states, only an idiot would do that without independant corroboration of a story

Here its a waste of time reading newspapers

At least you were honest enough to update your post, more than some on here would do

They are all self serving platforms of spin and misinformation
Old 10.19.2007, 02:22 PM   #153
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
• All Web sites that readers visited prior to opening the New Times site. That would include any site - bank, social networking, news, information, pornographic - that a reader visited before logging onto New Times.

after you reword this to say "any site hosting a LINK TO", it doesn't sound quite so panic inducing.

I still disagree with the legality of it, but it's not really as OMFG as the way it was put.

but, if you are the type that follows links from banks and porn sites, you deserve to be investigated (and most likely shot).

this is more CIA PsyOps on yr part, isn't it?

SWEETFUCKINGJESUSMYEYESAREBLEEDINGWHYDIDIOPENTHISS TUPIDFUCKINGTHREAD?????????
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2007, 02:31 PM   #154
ThePits
stalker

If you really want take a look at a scary ass government intelligence agency take a look at D.I.S.A.

Its had a mandate to do wtf it likes on the internet for years

http://www.disa.mil/
Old 10.19.2007, 02:34 PM   #155
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If you really want take a look at a scary ass government intelligence agency take a look at D.I.S.A.

Its had a mandate to do wtf it likes on the internet for years

http://www.disa.mil/

I also do not make a habbit of clicking on links (following a description of them that says they a mandate to do wtf they like on the internet).

do you really want them back linking here?

too late, methinks.

*waves at echelon*

hello fellow bot-destroyer-type!
Old 10.19.2007, 02:46 PM   #156
ThePits
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I also do not make a habbit of clicking on links (following a description of them that says they a mandate to do wtf they like on the internet).

do you really want them back linking here?

too late, methinks.

*waves at echelon*

hello fellow bot-destroyer-type!

Damn, too late

DISA is a nasty organisation that was cracking computers and systems at least ten years ago that I know of

It was also responsible for "turning" some crackers to work for them with threats of prosecution and imprisonment in the mid 1990's

And now they know about us and our subversive posts!
Old 10.19.2007, 02:52 PM   #157
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
And now they know about us and our subversive posts!

I see what you did there!!

then again, most of the posts in this thread were orchestrated by the CIA, so fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!
Old 10.19.2007, 02:54 PM   #158
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
i have seen the fnord
Old 10.19.2007, 03:00 PM   #159
ThePits
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
i have seen the fnord

I confess I had to google that
Old 10.22.2007, 11:07 AM   #160
tesla69
Banned

A lawsuit accuses Custer County, Okla. Sheriff Mike Burgess of operating a sex-slave ring and threatening to send female jail inmates to prison unless they complied with his sexual demands.
The lawsuit was filed Wednesday against Burgess on behalf of 12 women who either were jail prisoners or are participants in the county's drug court program.
Burgess had sex with one such woman more than 30 times after telling her that "he got her into the Drug Court program and if she did not provide the required sexual favors, he would get her out," the lawsuit alleges.
As sheriff and as a member of the drug court, Burgess had the power to carry out that alleged threat, the lawsuit claims.
One woman, Joy Mason, was required at least twice to drive to an Oklahoma City hotel where the sheriff was staying, even though she was required by the drug court not to leave Custer County, the lawsuit states. One such rendezvous occurred in December, the night before Mason appeared before the Legislature as a showcased member of the drug court program, according to the lawsuit.
The allegations have led to a criminal investigation, records obtained Wednesday indicate.
In a July 13 letter to Attorney General Drew Edmondson, Custer County District Attorney Dennis Smith asked to be recused from a potential prosecution of Burgess because of a "strong working relationship" between them. "An OSBI investigation has been ongoing for approximately two months, and I believe there will be decisions to be made on whether a criminal case should be, or is, filed in that matter," Smith wrote.
Burgess couldn't be reached either at his home or the sheriff's office. A dispatcher said he is out on medical leave.
Tulsa attorney Thomas Seymour, who filed the lawsuit, said of the combined allegations: "It is one of the most disgusting things I have seen in my 40 years of practice."
Other allegations:
- In the spring of 2006, either Burgess or his employees placed one inmate in an isolation cell and gave her only an extremely small gown, which left her breasts exposed. This was in retaliation for her repeated requests for prescription drugs to treat her depression. One jailer fondled the inmate's breasts and paraded male trusties in front of her cell to peer through the door and ogle her.
- Burgess called Mason several times and told her to call him on his cell phone. When the sheriff's wife questioned the calls, Burgess told her only to call him at the office, according to the lawsuit.
- He ordered Mason to drink alcohol, also in violation of her drug court requirements, and as part of the sheriff's alleged scheme of "extreme sexual slavery, including sexual battery, sodomy, rape and blackmail."
- When he picked up women on a drug court violation, Burgess offered to cause the court to impose far less severe punishment if she would perform a sex act on him.
- In May 2006, Burgess' employees staged wet T-shirt contests among female inmates and offered cigarettes to those who would flash their breasts.
- One female inmate this year was required by a jail employee to bare her breasts to receive food and aspirin.
- One woman resisted a jailer's sexual advances in May 2006. The retaliation included being placed in lockdown and having medication withheld. She also was served food that caused rectal bleeding, causing her and others to subsist only on bread and water.
- One woman became a jail trustee with much more freedom after she agreed to perform sodomy on Burgess. When she finally refused, she lost her trustee status.
State law prohibits a jailer or law enforcement officer from having sex with an inmate or a person in his custody.
This is the second time such allegations have been made against an Oklahoma sheriff in the last three years. In November 2003, a federal grand jury indicted then-Latimer County Sheriff Melvin Holly on similar allegations. He eventually was sentenced to 25 years in prison. A slew of lawsuits ensued, resulting in judgments against the county.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth