Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Photography Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.06.2008, 02:52 PM   #1581
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 02:55 PM   #1582
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 06:46 PM   #1583
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ah, the photographers

A QUESTION FOR YOU

what do you like to photograph? (i mean, obvious, from the pictures)

but here is my dilemma--

i took the day off today & thought of going out to take pictures

BUT

i can't think of anything in this city (albuquerque, new mexico) that i want to photograph.

see, i'm not interested in nature, or people for that matter-- i like weird things and urban decay, but there is little of that here. (bummer).

well... urban photographers, please throw your suggestions (yeah, urban because, i'm not going to go climb a mountain to take pictures or something like that, ha ha).

I like to photograph my dog, rats, flowers, random objects, or just anything I see that I find interesting.
Go on instinct, take some pictures of whatever catches your eye.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 07:56 PM   #1584
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
I like to take pics of my niece and nephew. I like taking pictures of kids. I have the most patience with them. Also I like to take pictures of myself with different face expressions.

If you haven't seen this on the art thread, these iare pictures of me.

Old 05.06.2008, 07:56 PM   #1585
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses

Old 05.06.2008, 07:56 PM   #1586
✌➬
invito al cielo

Old 05.07.2008, 10:59 PM   #1587
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmarat/?saved=1

Old 05.07.2008, 11:48 PM   #1588
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
you really not like photographing people? thats my favorite thing to do! If i was you i would set myself a subject like 'Mexican Culture' or 'reflections' or 'abstract shapes'. This may sound dull, but its what i had to do on my photography course all the way through. They set us a bunch of themed projects, and we had to try and be creative within those themes.

hmm... you know what? it sounds dull but it sounds very fucking useful-- you are right. creativity thrives on limits. when i lived in dc it was easy to find interesting subjects, things i *absolutely* loved and my eyes wanted to eat them. here not so much. but i guess learning to open up to new things is good... which reminds me, i have a friend who lives in a shit town where i just spent 2 years, and he takes the most amazing photos.

i'd like to photograph (some) people, but i think i make them nervous, ha ha.

and thank you for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAh
I like to photograph my dog, rats, flowers, random objects, or just anything I see that I find interesting.
Go on instinct, take some pictures of whatever catches your eye.

yeah, that's my problem! nothing catches my eye! well, i guess if i start looking it will. i'll put myself on a program as ssk suggests. i gotta learn to see this city.

and thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
I don't like much potographing people I don't know (but I like to take pics of friends), the "theme" thing is something I want to try soon, I wanna go to venice 1-2 days a week and try to take "themed" pics. Still haven't decided the theme, it has no need to have something to do with venice at all.

hm.. maybe i should start photographing nude models-- ha! no, seriously-- not in a pervert way. women are lovely and for some weird reason i associate cities with women. it's as if cities were women, with a personality and physical traits... ok, i'm crazy, i know, but i swear i feel that way. the more i talk the weirder i sound, huh? ha! now that i think about it, there are a few interesting faces i'd like to photograph around here. i'll have to improve my way of talking to people i suppose.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2008, 05:21 AM   #1589
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ah, the photographers

A QUESTION FOR YOU

but here is my dilemma--

BUT

i can't think of anything in this city (albuquerque, new mexico) that i want to photograph.

see, i'm not interested in nature, or people for that matter-- i like weird things and urban decay, but there is little of that here. (bummer).

well... urban photographers, please throw your suggestions (yeah, urban because, i'm not going to go climb a mountain to take pictures or something like that, ha ha).

My advice - for what it's worth.

Don't take things at face value - look for reflections, imperfections, details.
Use natural light where possible - preferably not the flat light of the middle of the day, dawn and dusk can make a mediocre subject interesting just by the way the light hits it.

Photgraphing people is tricky nowadays, the general public are much more aware and suspicious of people taking their photo than they were 20 years ago. The trick is to become 'el homre invisible' and blend in with the background. If you stay in the same place for a while people stop seeing you and it's easier to take their picture without them being aware of it.

I've also had some interesting results from just firing off a few shots with the camera still hanging by my side, raising it to eye level is a bit of a giveaway.

Things to photograph in an urban environment - grafitti, weather and it's effect on the urban environment, people using unconventional modes of transport - you basically need to carry your camera with you at all times and always be aware of what is happening around you.

Talking of themes - one I've been thinking about for a few years but have never got round to is 'Feral Faces'. It was inspired by the faces that people pull when they're caught in the rain. Savage looking expressions from pretty innocuous causes.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2008, 05:24 AM   #1590
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incesticide
Taked with my Canon AE-1.
I used Kodak Gold film.

I really like this picture! The colours give it an industrial feel, when in fact it's just the opposite. Nice.

Old 05.08.2008, 05:27 AM   #1591
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAh

EMMah you've done it again! These are great!

Old 05.08.2008, 07:03 AM   #1592
Incesticide
the destroyed room

Incesticide kicks all y'all's assesIncesticide kicks all y'all's assesIncesticide kicks all y'all's assesIncesticide kicks all y'all's assesIncesticide kicks all y'all's assesIncesticide kicks all y'all's assesIncesticide kicks all y'all's assesIncesticide kicks all y'all's assesIncesticide kicks all y'all's assesIncesticide kicks all y'all's assesIncesticide kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya
I really like this picture! The colours give it an industrial feel, when in fact it's just the opposite. Nice.

Thank you Florya.
Old 05.08.2008, 12:31 PM   #1593
EMMAh
invito al cielo

Quote:
EMMah you've done it again! These are great!

Thanks

Old 05.08.2008, 12:51 PM   #1594
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
My advice - for what it's worth.

Don't take things at face value - look for reflections, imperfections, details.
Use natural light where possible - preferably not the flat light of the middle of the day, dawn and dusk can make a mediocre subject interesting just by the way the light hits it.

yeah i do that for video, it's like, #1, get up at 4am & get ready to shoot, nap for lunch, go shoot again in the afternoon

Quote:
Photgraphing people is tricky nowadays, the general public are much more aware and suspicious of people taking their photo than they were 20 years ago. The trick is to become 'el homre invisible' and blend in with the background. If you stay in the same place for a while people stop seeing you and it's easier to take their picture without them being aware of it.

ah. good plan! i think i'm too conspicuous, but i'll try.

Quote:
I've also had some interesting results from just firing off a few shots with the camera still hanging by my side, raising it to eye level is a bit of a giveaway.

which makes me think my nikon d70s is a bit of a clunky beast. i have a friend who has a tiny leica and wowww.

Quote:
Things to photograph in an urban environment - grafitti, weather and it's effect on the urban environment, people using unconventional modes of transport - you basically need to carry your camera with you at all times and always be aware of what is happening around you.

problem with albuquerque is that it's not very... urban. it's more like a widely extended town. one-storey buildings. i dont mean to whinge, but the architecture here-- wait, i saw this weird buddhist temple the other day. i just need to drive around more.

and re: carrying the camera everywhere-- another vote against my d70s. should i trade it?

Quote:
Talking of themes - one I've been thinking about for a few years but have never got round to is 'Feral Faces'. It was inspired by the faces that people pull when they're caught in the rain. Savage looking expressions from pretty innocuous causes.

ha ha ha. that would be a tough one to shoot in new mexico-- it's in the chihuahuan desert!
Old 05.08.2008, 12:56 PM   #1595
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i just need to drive around more.
nouh! walk around more!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2008, 01:02 PM   #1596
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ah, the photographers

A QUESTION FOR YOU

but here is my dilemma--

BUT

I'm hardly happy shooting in town. I like sunlight and colors on my shots, and buildings block everything.

I like to have some blur in the background or the foreground. And to fight the fact pictures are flat.

Weird angles can be useful on almost every single subject you find.

Well, you can also run the streets of your town looking for plates that could be your Murray Street back cover picture.

Quote:

That rain on faces idea looks great.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2008, 01:11 PM   #1597
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
nouh! walk around more!

i'd love to! but it's FAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!!

bycicle would be more like it. hmmm....
Old 05.08.2008, 01:19 PM   #1598
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:

re: carrying the camera everywhere-- another vote against my d70s. should i trade it?

ha ha ha. that would be a tough one to shoot in new mexico-- it's in the chihuahuan desert!

Don't trade your camera, especially if you're comfortable with the way it works. Part of the secret of interesting photos is being able to adjust your settings quickly.

I'd imagine there are some pretty interesting faces in alberquerque, lots of interesting skin textures. Remember, just because you see these things every day doesn't mean that they won't be interesting to other people who are not familiar with your environment.

Something else to try - if you have a friend who drives, take shots at night from a slow moving car in busy places - outside clubs/sports grounds etc.

Old 05.08.2008, 01:29 PM   #1599
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Don't trade your camera, especially if you're comfortable with the way it works.

well, no, i'm not.

when i "upgraded" from film to digital it all became a mess. i've never been comfortable with that camera. too many fucking settings!

i liked it when all i had to worry about was iso, aperture, & shutter speed.
Old 05.08.2008, 01:33 PM   #1600
✌➬
invito al cielo

I like my digital camera, it is the best.
70777879 80 81828390130180 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth